U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,231,318 times

Advertisements

So Long must be a closeted homosexual because he wears tight shirts? He must be a closeted homosexual because he preaches a message against homosexuality? He must be on the "down low" because he lives in Atlanta? Come on people. Let's not be ignorant.

At this point they are allegations. Anyone can allege misconduct. Showing those allegations to be true is a wholly different matter.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:24 PM

95 posts, read 151,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Most preachers, preist, pastors do this. Does that mean that they are all somehow gay?

The other things you mentioned have always seemed to me to be very over the top. I dont understand how a "man of god" needs so much worldly crap. Any preacher that bilks their followers to the point of driving a Rolls Royce and having a private jet is a charlatan in my opinion.
Do most preachers drive a Bentley and have a private jet? Notice I said typical "hypocrite" profile of a preacher. I didn't say any single attribute indicates that he's gay.

None of the things I listed are very "godly" to me, including preaching against homosexuality. God doesn't promote hate IMO.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:54 PM

28,109 posts, read 24,632,008 times
Generally speaking, I couldn't care less who sleeps with whom, so long as they're both adults and equally capable of consent.

What's troubling about stories like this is really two things:

(1) So often, they involve people who've made a career out of spreading homophobia. It doesn't get more hypocritical than that. And it lends a lot of credibility to the old saying that those who protest the loudest are often the ones most worried about their own inner demons.

(2) They frequently involve men whose internalized homophobia has lead them to live secret lives and engage in high risk behavior which they conceal from their wives, leaving them exposed to HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases. Not to mention the severe emotional harm they inflict by cheating on and embarrassing their wives, and putting their financial status at risk. How is this manly (or otherwise admirable) in any way?

It doesn't have anything to do with gay or straight. It has to do with lying, hypocrisy, being too weak to deal with their social phobias, and breach of trust.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:54 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,258,791 times
If the allegations are true -he will make the the following statements after the admission: " It was a moral failure on my part; my wife and I are in counseling for 60 days re-newing our strengh and faith in the Lord"; "I made a bad decision". There are list of preachers who are corrupt without a conscience (Jamal Bryant, Thomas Weeks and Juanita Bynum; Roberts Liardon; Clerance McClendon, etc...) And even if the alliegations are false, what's with the muscle skin tight shirts???? How can someone go to this establishment when a man in the pulpit is putting his physical attributions on display. Can you imagine if a women preacher did the same. But let me quote the Bible -

2 Timothy 3:5-8: They come a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, 7Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Last edited by mrdkb; 09-22-2010 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

235 posts, read 236,383 times
Eddie Long is an arrogant con artist whose time has come. Whether the allegations prove true or not, they have already succeeded in revealing the ugly truth of what his so-called "ministry" is really all about. One by one and without fail, every one of these hypocrites ends up getting caught in their own lies and deceit and fall. This isn't a black thing or a white thing, it's a greed and power and ego thing.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
Eddie Long is an arrogant con artist whose time has come. Whether the allegations prove true or not, they have already succeeded in revealing the ugly truth of what his so-called "ministry" is really all about. One by one and without fail, every one of these hypocrites ends up getting caught in their own lies and deceit and fall. This isn't a black thing or a white thing, it's a greed and power and ego thing.
All I know is that I'm tired of media attention concerning race and religion.
I think it was after the great Mel Gibson spousal abuse scandal that Joy Behar's featured guest was Ted Haggert--yes, he had a fall from Grace, yes, he regrets it---and so on. Nothing more to be said--as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:22 PM

484 posts, read 1,046,288 times
Sad that a guy can't get a perm, wear tight t-shirts, and surround himself exclusively with men without people thinking he is gay.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:28 PM

734 posts, read 1,774,379 times
As the day goes on things get worse for Eddie Long, now a third person is coming out with allegations.

Bishop Eddie Long | Third sexual coercion lawsuit filed *| ajc.com

Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM

397 posts, read 699,584 times
Originally Posted by NTATL
He preaches against homosexuality, drives expensive cars, has a private jet...typical hypocrite profile.

Quote:
Most preachers, preist, pastors do this. Does that mean that they are all somehow gay?
DO most preachers preach against homosexuality? Seriously, I don't know. How they would have so many followers would be beyond me.

Quote:
The other things you mentioned have always seemed to me to be very over the top. I dont understand how a "man of god" needs so much worldly crap. Any preacher that bilks their followers to the point of driving a Rolls Royce and having a private jet is a charlatan in my opinion.
Agreed. This sounds like just another guy on an ever growing list that is running a very profitable business. The business of course is God.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:17 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,344,101 times
Quote:

Its usually the ones who are so so against it that are doing it.. As a black gay male the black community has been talking about this for a long time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or