U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times

Advertisements

Roy Barnes cancels fundraiser to be hosted by Eddie Long | Political Insider

Old 09-22-2010, 05:13 PM

2,900 posts, read 3,882,719 times
I assume the allegations are false until proven true. However, I find it appalling that a man who preached virulent homophobia and went on anti-gay crusades would have had much a following in the first play. People of conscience don't follow the leadership of those who espouse bigotry in the first place.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:10 PM

563 posts, read 2,505,403 times
After I heard BJ Bernstein's interview (she's representing the plaintiffs) on V-103...all I can say is hot dang.

BJ Bernstein And Lawsuits Against Bishop Eddie Long V103 The People's Station

Bishop Long is supposed to be on the Tom Joyner Morning Show tomorrow at 7:15 am...I want to hear what he has to say.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM

364 posts, read 614,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
So Long must be a closeted homosexual because he wears tight shirts? He must be a closeted homosexual because he preaches a message against homosexuality? He must be on the "down low" because he lives in Atlanta? Come on people. Let's not be ignorant.

At this point they are allegations. Anyone can allege misconduct. Showing those allegations to be true is a wholly different matter.
Innocent until proven guilty..yada, yada, yada.......
IMO not only is Eddie Long a closeted homosexual, but he is a pedophile. My uncle went to NC Central Univ. with Eddie Long, and he has been saying for years that he is gay. When my cousin graduated from Redan High, the ceremony was in the New Birth Chapel, and my uncle kept making jokes about how Eddie Long would never have been able to reach the level he had if his congregation knew the REAL Eddie Long. And this was years ago. And to put the icing on the cake this man preys on teenage boys, so not only is he gay, all the while espousing hate towards gays (Ted Haggert anyone?), but this man is a borderline sex predator. I don't care what the legal age of consent is in GA, messing with a 16 or 17 y/o child is sick. And I'm not even touching on the fact he "allegedly" used church funds to take the boys on trips and buy them new cars...Like really???? I personally know people who give money to this man every Sunday, when allot of them are not even in the financial position to do so, but yet they still do. And he is basically taking their money and "tricking it off"...I'm so sick of my black brothers and sisters blindly following these mega church pastors its not funny......We give the most financially to these churches, and allot of times we are the ones who need to be saving every dime. But yet because he is "a Man of God", I should give him this hard earned money out of my pocket and let my house get foreclosed on, while this "Man of God", pushes a brand new Porshe Sedan on Monday, then a brand new Bentley on Tuesday, then hops in his private jet on Wednesday....Give me a break. I hope this makes the world see what Eddie Long and people like him are really all about...

Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 PM

95 posts, read 151,754 times
^^^ I agree. I don't understand how some people are so brainwashed and not realize it. This guy is basically flaunting his wealth in these people faces. Yet they follow him like a cult leader, even defending him after all this mess.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM

465 posts, read 450,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
IMO not only is Eddie Long a closeted homosexual, but he is a pedophile. My uncle went to NC Central Univ. with Eddie Long, and he has been saying for years that he is gay. When my cousin graduated from Redan High, the ceremony was in the New Birth Chapel, and my uncle kept making jokes about how Eddie Long would never have been able to reach the level he had if his congregation knew the REAL Eddie Long. And this was years ago. And to put the icing on the cake this man preys on teenage boys, so not only is he gay, all the while espousing hate towards gays (Ted Haggert anyone?), but this man is a borderline sex predator. I don't care what the legal age of consent is in GA, messing with a 16 or 17 y/o child is sick. And I'm not even touching on the fact he "allegedly" used church funds to take the boys on trips and buy them new cars...Like really???? I personally know people who give money to this man every Sunday, when allot of them are not even in the financial position to do so, but yet they still do. And he is basically taking their money and "tricking it off"...I'm so sick of my black brothers and sisters blindly following these mega church pastors its not funny......We give the most financially to these churches, and allot of times we are the ones who need to be saving every dime. But yet because he is "a Man of God", I should give him this hard earned money out of my pocket and let my house get foreclosed on, while this "Man of God", pushes a brand new Porshe Sedan on Monday, then a brand new Bentley on Tuesday, then hops in his private jet on Wednesday....Give me a break. I hope this makes the world see what Eddie Long and people like him are really all about...
Well said.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:18 PM

13,093 posts, read 15,900,406 times
As a white guy, I'm glad to see so many (I assume) black folks expressing their dislike for Eddie Long's style of ministry. Being white, we can't really criticize the black churches because, well, our own houses aren't exactly in perfect order either. Because there are so many of these black mega-church "prosperity gospel" pastors in Atlanta, one might be inclined to believe that the African-American community is fully supportive of these con men. I'm glad to see that isn't the case. I'm next waiting for Creflo Dollar to take a fall. As creepy as Eddie Long is, Creflo is 10 times more offensive the way he insists that to be a member of his church you have to give give give even if you can't afford to put food on your table. Disgusting.

BTW -- I know there are some very large, very respectable, very honorable black churches and pastors in the ATL doing good things -- Cascade, Hopewell, etc. Any others worth giving a shout out in defense of the A-A church?

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,380,385 times
Using Public Relations to Repair Bishop Eddie Long's Reputation, Post-scandal - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

'If Long does, in fact, proceed with the press conference, he should also grant an exclusive interview to a reputable outlet (think: Oprah) where he can share his side of the story--once-- whatever that side may be. Doing so, will allow Long to humanize his story, making it more relatable.'

Somehow I don't think Oprah will be a resource.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 PM

642 posts, read 1,935,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
Well said. Personally I think in my controversial view that the AA church is possibly the biggest racket going. Not to single out just the AA church structure. Just that it's the only one I have some experience with. So what if you're barely making it, you'd better sign that check over if you want to be right with the Lord.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 AM

5,328 posts, read 5,219,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
When people learn to accept people for who they are it would be a much easier transition for people to walk in there TRUTH.. God is exposeing everyone and there mess and he is starting with the Church first.. Its no surprise to me as this is happening all over the USA in many Churches.. Atlanta is Notorious for DL men expecially within the Black community.. When you live in A city with the Largest African American Gay population this is to be expected. I always knew Eddie Long was one of the Gurls lol.. Especially with his LA fitness tight body Shirts and his Accessories lol... But im am praying for him as I believe he is still a great man of God and he preaches a great word... I dont know hw true this maybe but if you look at the Trend with all the Pastors that have been exposed 9 times out of ten its usually true.. So far its just allegations
If true, he's a hypocrite and living a lifestyle that is in direct contradiction of Gods word; not sure how that fits into "great man of God?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or