Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Apparently Bishop Long has been preaching 'homosexuality is a sin'--to over 25,000 members --for how many years? Yes--the Black Community is less accepting of homosexuality.
If you have the patience--not certain I do--CNN/HLN will undoubtedly run segments on this until the story is no longer news. I'm pretty sure, not positive, that 'being on the DL/downlow' is scandalous to mainstream African American women.

I can only assume that the consequences would be severe--thus giving more credibility to their allegations in the POV of the defense attorney.

A member of the church, presumably, made a post calling them 'Judases'.
Yes, the Bishop and Bernice King (daughter of Martin & Coretta) have actually led an anti-gay march through the streets of the City.

At the time I was shocked more by Bernice being involved, given her parents pro-gay stances and attitudes.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:08 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
This thread has brought A LOTTA folks out of the closet lol... think im gonna go on over to the next thread.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:11 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
There are news reports that 30 men are coming forward with sex claims, and the Bishpo will step downs.
Source?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yes, the Bishop and Bernice King (daughter of Martin & Coretta) have actually led an anti-gay march through the streets of the City.

At the time I was shocked more by Bernice being involved, given her parents pro-gay stances and attitudes.
And not to mention the fact that she looks like a lesbian.

Seriously, thus who have the biggest "issue" with homosexuality (to the point where they march and hold rallies against it) are the main ones who are probably having a personal struggle with their own homosexuality.

Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:26 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

When he addresses the congregation on Sunday I'm certain that will be interesting.

As a middle class Protestant the pictures are unusual--that is all I will say.
I suppose book and film deals are a possibility.
I'm still not clear about why Soledad O'Brien felt the need to reopen the 'Atlanta Child Murders' a few months ago--but I suppose I don't need to know all the reasons?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
I am Black, and can attest that GENERALLY blacks are much more antigay than nonblacks. Yet there are many progay blacks today, and there has been noticeable progress on this issue just in the last couple of years. I have noticed amongst my peers that black people are starting to cme out as bisexual and gay in larger numbers, and for the large part, being accepted. There are even progay black churches and pastors speaking out on this issue. Just this week the NAACP pledged to work more for gay rights. Most black Congressmen and the black governor of MA are very progay. A lot of black antigay sentiment centers around disdain for effeminate males, not same-sex sex or relationships. A lot of black men who express antigay sentiment focus on repulsion over male effeminancy, yet often have had sex with makes themselves. Machismo is a major component of black culture today, exacerbated by hip hop. We know that in prison, black men are able to enjoy sex with men with virtual no stigma, SS long as they are in the dominant role. Likewise, studies on sexual behavior have found that black men report having more same sex partners of any group in America,. There is a lot of tolerance and acceptance of
black men having sex with each other as long as there are no public signs of effeminancy or ommitments such as civil unions. Consequently, while there are lot of black men who have sex with men, very few have been in a longterm official samesex relationship.

Last edited by Tarheelhombre; 09-24-2010 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Source for 30 accusers: *Bossip Exclusive* Bishop Eddie Long Stepping Down Sunday, Fourth Victim Steps Forward « Bossip.com

Old 09-24-2010, 05:08 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,269 times
That's a shame fo the Lord!!!! So sad.......I just pray nothing like this comes out on Creflo Dollar--I do watch him on occasion. I never got into Eddie Long when I would see him on TBN. Something about him never sat right with me. My favorites are Bishop TD Jakes and as I just mentioned I do on occasion catch Creflo.

This is a really disturbing story because so many of his parishoners had so much faith in him. It really turns my stomach

Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 PM

282 posts, read 634,284 times
And then there was four.....

Man this story is getting so much gas!

BlackMegaChurches are taking a huge beating on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Myspace & Craiglist....just getting demolished!

This guy cant be preaching Sunday, talk about media frenzy!!

Maybe Atlanta needs its own tabloid..they would make a killing this week!!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
A lot of black antigay sentiment centers around disdain for effeminate males, not same-sex sex or relationships. A lot of black men who express antigay sentiment focus on repulsion over male effeminancy, yet often have had sex with makes themselves. Machismo is a major component of black culture today, exacerbated by hip hop. We know that in prison, black men are able to enjoy sex with men with virtual no stigma, SS long as they are in the dominant role. Likewise, studies on sexual behavior have found that black men report having more same sex partners of any group in America,. There is a lot of tolerance and acceptance of
black men having sex with each other as long as there are no public signs of effeminancy or ommitments such as civil unions. Consequently, while there are lot of black men who have sex with men, very few have been in a longterm official samesex relationship.

I wonder why avoiding effeminacy and being dominant are so important?

Just looking at it statistically, you'd think there'd be just as many black guys who are effeminate and/or non-dominant as there are white guys. You can't judge the content of somebody's character by the color of their skin.

From what I've observed, effeminate men and women are not necessarily non-dominant anyway. I know plenty of girly-girls who rule the roost with an iron hand, and I think I've seen that in male couples, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta