U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,178 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving from Philly to Atlanta. I'm a 30 yr old single parent, and I dont have any family or friends in Atlanta. However, Philly has become too violent, and the murder rate is increasing rapidly. Therefore, I would not consider it a great place to raise my 9 yr old son.
I've never visited Atlanta, but I've done alot of research and it seems like a great place to live, especially for an educated and business-minded African American woman.
Has anyone experieced living in Philly and in Georgia? If so, could you give me an idea of what I should expect with the transition?

Thank you

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

11 posts, read 43,694 times
I have lived in GA since I was a child...my parents were from Philly and moved us here when we were young. Some of my family still live in Philly and I go up a couple of times a year to visit but know what you are talking about from my aunts and uncles. GA is a great place to live and raise a child. I have two older boys. It is amazing when you start talking to people to how you will find that there are a few transplants from Philly. The weather is nice honestly when I talk to my uncles it is sometimes comparable but we don't have the snow.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM

481 posts, read 2,576,208 times
if you want to avoid crime just stay away from inner-Atlanta, some of the other shady areas like parts of south cobb and south dekalb... oh and absolutely stay away from clayton county....

Most of Atlanta is safe though. Atlanta isn't a very urban city... there are several skylines spread around the metro area but they are like little islands in a sea of forests and otherwise suburban areas...

you really need to mention a specific part of metro atlanta though to get any decent help... "Atlanta" doesn't say much... "Atlanta" is basically just a sprawling conglomeration of a hundred different cities and communities, which general area are you looking at? Anything north of the city will be safe, east and west are also pretty safe, south it gets a little iffy until you get farther out from the city, and in the city itself it really depends, there's huge differences between the various districts of atlanta...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:49 AM

200 posts, read 910,814 times
I grew up in South Jersey and worked in Philly, and I now just moved to Forsyth county. What part of Philly are you in, and what is your price range. I am sure you can do better that Philly and you will be happy here.

Look at greatschools.net so you can see how schools are rated. That is how I picked where I wanted to live. ALso where are you going to work?

Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 07:07 PM

552 posts, read 1,532,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
if you want to avoid crime just stay away from inner-Atlanta, some of the other shady areas like parts of south cobb and south dekalb... oh and absolutely stay away from clayton county....

Most of Atlanta is safe though. Atlanta isn't a very urban city... there are several skylines spread around the metro area but they are like little islands in a sea of forests and otherwise suburban areas...

you really need to mention a specific part of metro atlanta though to get any decent help... "Atlanta" doesn't say much... "Atlanta" is basically just a sprawling conglomeration of a hundred different cities and communities, which general area are you looking at? Anything north of the city will be safe, east and west are also pretty safe, south it gets a little iffy until you get farther out from the city, and in the city itself it really depends, there's huge differences between the various districts of atlanta...
The view that Atlanta isn't very urban is sort of getting dated now. When I am ITP, in a lot of locales, I feel like I'm in a major urban area. Actually, midtown and downtown feel fairly cosmopolitan, only to keep improving. The city in a forest concept is slowly eroding as well.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,794,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
The view that Atlanta isn't very urban is sort of getting dated now. When I am ITP, in a lot of locales, I feel like I'm in a major urban area. Actually, midtown and downtown feel fairly cosmopolitan, only to keep improving. The city in a forest concept is slowly eroding as well.
I disagree. I don't consider Atlanta to be very urban at all. Sure there are some tall buildings in downtown, midtown and Buckhead but compare the areas to somewhere like downtown Philly. All the parking lots in between the buildings, the lack of interaction between buildings and the street, and the lack of a pedestrian environment (decent sidewalks, transit) are what make Atlanta a non urban city. Sure there are parts of Atlanta which have elements of an urban city but the city over all is not nearly as urban as somewhere like Philly. I'm not saying its rural, just more suburban feeling then other major cities.

Last edited by xxman777; 07-03-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 07-03-2007, 11:27 PM

481 posts, read 2,576,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
Sorry but only like 5% of metro Atlanta could be considered "urban." Sure, downtown and midtown are urban, and some other places ITP are near-urban, but the suburbs are vastly larger than downtown/midtown in terms of population and land mass. Hell, Buckhead alone is twice as big as downtown and midtown combined in terms of land area, and 80-90% of Buckhead is dense forest.

And between Atlanta's five skylines yes there are TONS of skyscrapers but there's no pedestrian interaction; in fact our tallest building the Bank of America tower doesn't even have doors, the only way you can get in or out is through the underground parking. Atlanta is a basically a big huge sprawling suburban area with a few skyline-districts that are urban.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,965 times
Default Move from Philly to Atlanta

Hi everyone, I'm a young single mother & going to school for LPN and Im from philly and want to move myself my son & my twin to Atlanta so badly. Do anyone know a good place to live for low income families like our selves. Please someone help please i appreciate it thank you 😃

Old 04-14-2015, 03:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 2,420,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama0322 View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a young single mother & going to school for LPN and Im from philly and want to move myself my son & my twin to Atlanta so badly. Do anyone know a good place to live for low income families like our selves. Please someone help please i appreciate it thank you 😃
Mama032.

two things---

1--search old threads for what you're seeking. I'm almost confident I've read a similar question like yours

2--Start a thread of your own with as much detail as possible. Preferred areas of town, rent price point, commute, etc...I've found that the most detailed questions get the most detailed answers on the Atlanta forum.

Good luck-
Rocco-coming to an Atlanta near you!

Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,023,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama0322 View Post
Well, how low income do you mean? Remember, even if you're on a budget, you want to still be in a safe area. I've been a nurse for about 8 years; an LPN fresh out of school in Atlanta will make around $17-$20 per hour depending on where you work. If I were you, I'd plan on keeping my rent under $750 per month. I don't know of any safe, low income area off the top of my head, but will post again if I think any. You will love it here. Good Luck~!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or