Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You are looking for something that does not exist here.

Sorry, but if you feel the need to isolate yourself in this manner racially along with your requirements for mixed-use, walkability, etc. - you really need to look at another metro.

You won't like it here. You need to realize that this area is more than twice the size of KC, and VERY diverse.
What are you talking about? What he is looking for definitely exists, and is actually pretty common. VA Highland, Midtown, Vinings are all predominately white, have a lot of mixed use, good restaurants and nightlife (well, except for Vinings on that one), and are walkable.

To the OP, check out Buckhead. Its around 90% white. Plenty of Mixed-use towers along Peachtree Road, and Peachtree itself is pretty walkable. One I can think of off the top of my head is Terminus. Within the Terminus tower complex, there are condos, offices, a gym, restaurants/bars. You can walk down Peachtree to the Village in one direction and the Mall in the other direction.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:23 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
What are you talking about? What he is looking for definitely exists, and is actually pretty common. VA Highland, Midtown, Vinings are all predominately white, have a lot of mixed use, good restaurants and nightlife (well, except for Vinings on that one), and are walkable.

To the OP, check out Buckhead. Its around 90% white. Plenty of Mixed-use towers along Peachtree Road, and Peachtree itself is pretty walkable. One I can think of off the top of my head is Terminus. Within the Terminus tower complex, there are condos, offices, a gym, restaurants/bars. You can walk down Peachtree to the Village in one direction and the Mall in the other direction.
All of the areas you mentioned are white because that is who lives there. However ALL of those areas are filled with lots of minorities who work, play, etc. in the area. My point is that Buckhead is white but Lenox mall definetely is not. Nor are most of the shops, restaurants in the area. The various marta stations in the area allow anyone from the "hood" to come to Buckhead.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:11 AM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
All of the areas you mentioned are white because that is who lives there. However ALL of those areas are filled with lots of minorities who work, play, etc. in the area. My point is that Buckhead is white but Lenox mall definetely is not. Nor are most of the shops, restaurants in the area. The various marta stations in the area allow anyone from the "hood" to come to Buckhead.
Sorry, but Buckhead is a white neighborhood, despite MARTA. Minorities shopping or working at a Mall that is still majority white doesnt change that. The shops and restaurants are around 80% white. The nightlife (besides Twist and Grape) is 90% white.

None of the areas I mentioned are filled with minorities, in any sense of the word.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 AM

859 posts, read 2,119,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Sorry, but Buckhead is a white neighborhood, despite MARTA.
Wow, newsflash.You might want to tell that to the residents of Cobb and Gwinnett.

I ask this question to anyone that wants to live in a majority this or that neighborhood...why? Is it b/c you think that people that look like you will think and have the same values as you? From just life experience and traveling around I can tell you for every 5 white or black people you will have five different opinions on the same subject. How about maybe an area where people have similar views to yours, b/c people that think the same often times act the same.

To the OP as a black man I would think you would understand that stereotyping is never a good thing (whether good or bad) as it seems you are stereotyping whites as something, per your request for wanting to be in a majority white area.

If you want to be in an area that is "relatively safe" great shops, nightlife, restaurants with condos if your price range there are plenty of areas and posters seemed to have answered your question already.

Is there crime in these areas, yes. Are there some black people in these areas, yes. Are some of the crimes committed by blacks, yes, is it because they are black, no. It's probably b/c they were raised in a poor area surrounded by crime and didn't feel they had a better way out. I've never once seem a rich black banker, lawyer or any educated black person rob a bank, have you?

People have to understand that the way we are and think is not due to our race but how we were raised and socialized. It just so happens that b/c of segregation, restrictive covenants, racism, which caused economic inequality and mistrust for one another that neighborhoods have formed the way they have i.e majority white black etc. and thus people growing up in those areas tended to have similar mindsets, not b/c they are born black or white. Now that segregation and restrictive covenants are illegal we have a different perspective on things today (for the most part) We can see it in children today. We all went to school, the kids that grew up in similar areas whether they were poor or rich tended to think alike it wasn't due to their race but their surroundings.

One will be mighty disappointed in life thinking that everyone that looks like you will think like you.

Gee, I feel like aries4118, sometimes you get tired of repeating yourself on this forum.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:33 AM

144 posts, read 120,927 times
Thanks a lot for all the info, everyone. It's been a great help.

JohnAtl, I'm not trying to live in "isolation", however, I'm trying to find an area with a predominantly white influence in shopping, dining, entertainment, and overall culture.

As I explained in another post that no longer exists, I am moving a thousand miles away from family and friends and I would like an area where I will not experience a total culture shock and I can't identify with. This is NOT about isolating myself... I have lived in predominantly black areas in the past and did not enjoy my cultural amenities as much.

Further, upon speaking with my realtor, I was basically given a laundry list of zip codes that meet and exceed my criteria. Buckhead definitely seems to be what I'm looking for at this point, although, there are areas where mixed-use and walkability is not so good.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
People have to understand that the way we are and think is not due to our race but how we were raised and socialized. It just so happens that b/c of segregation, restrictive covenants, racism, which caused economic inequality and mistrust for one another that neighborhoods have formed the way they have i.e majority white black etc. and thus people growing up in those areas tended to have similar mindsets, not b/c they are born black or white. Now that segregation and restrictive covenants are illegal we have a different perspective on things today (for the most part) We can see it in children today. We all went to school, the kids that grew up in similar areas whether they were poor or rich tended to think alike it wasn't due to their race but their surroundings.

One will be mighty disappointed in life thinking that everyone that looks like you will think like you.

Gee, I feel like aries4118, sometimes you get tired of repeating yourself on this forum.
Again, this is about the consumer and cultural amenities, it's not about avoiding "black people." If I wanted to avoid black people, I would choose to expand my business in Fargo, North Dakota rather than Atlanta, GA.

Give me some credit in this area, I have lived in many places around the US with different cultural and ethnic make-ups, and from those experiences, the easiest way to gauge an area's consumer and cultural amenities is to cut straight to the chase, demographics.

Last edited by Michael0603; 09-29-2010 at 10:59 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Further, upon speaking with my realtor, I was basically given a laundry list of zip codes that meet and exceed my criteria.
Isn't this illegal--based on the "criteria" you stated in your post?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Isn't this illegal--based on the "criteria" you stated in your post?
Based on race alone, absolutely. Doesn't seem right, does it? ; )

Old 09-29-2010, 10:23 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
I'm not trying to live in "isolation", however, I'm trying to find an area with a predominantly white influence in shopping, dining, entertainment, and overall culture.
What is that exactly? I am geniuenly curious as to what that means and constitutes exactly. A specific list of such activities would be very helpful.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Wow, newsflash.You might want to tell that to the residents of Cobb and Gwinnett.

I ask this question to anyone that wants to live in a majority this or that neighborhood...why? Is it b/c you think that people that look like you will think and have the same values as you? From just life experience and traveling around I can tell you for every 5 white or black people you will have five different opinions on the same subject. How about maybe an area where people have similar views to yours, b/c people that think the same often times act the same.

To the OP as a black man I would think you would understand that stereotyping is never a good thing (whether good or bad) as it seems you are stereotyping whites as something, per your request for wanting to be in a majority white area.

If you want to be in an area that is "relatively safe" great shops, nightlife, restaurants with condos if your price range there are plenty of areas and posters seemed to have answered your question already.

Is there crime in these areas, yes. Are there some black people in these areas, yes. Are some of the crimes committed by blacks, yes, is it because they are black, no. It's probably b/c they were raised in a poor area surrounded by crime and didn't feel they had a better way out. I've never once seem a rich black banker, lawyer or any educated black person rob a bank, have you?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta