U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
16,888 posts, read 19,746,214 times
Reputation: 25796

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Wow, newsflash.You might want to tell that to the residents of Cobb and Gwinnett.



I ask this question to anyone that wants to live in a majority this or that neighborhood...why? Is it b/c you think that people that look like you will think and have the same values as you? From just life experience and traveling around I can tell you for every 5 white or black people you will have five different opinions on the same subject. How about maybe an area where people have similar views to yours, b/c people that think the same often times act the same.

To the OP as a black man I would think you would understand that stereotyping is never a good thing (whether good or bad) as it seems you are stereotyping whites as something, per your request for wanting to be in a majority white area.

If you want to be in an area that is "relatively safe" great shops, nightlife, restaurants with condos if your price range there are plenty of areas and posters seemed to have answered your question already.

Is there crime in these areas, yes. Are there some black people in these areas, yes. Are some of the crimes committed by blacks, yes, is it because they are black, no. It's probably b/c they were raised in a poor area surrounded by crime and didn't feel they had a better way out. I've never once seem a rich black banker, lawyer or any educated black person rob a bank, have you?

People have to understand that the way we are and think is not due to our race but how we were raised and socialized. It just so happens that b/c of segregation, restrictive covenants, racism, which caused economic inequality and mistrust for one another that neighborhoods have formed the way they have i.e majority white black etc. and thus people growing up in those areas tended to have similar mindsets, not b/c they are born black or white. Now that segregation and restrictive covenants are illegal we have a different perspective on things today (for the most part) We can see it in children today. We all went to school, the kids that grew up in similar areas whether they were poor or rich tended to think alike it wasn't due to their race but their surroundings.

One will be mighty disappointed in life thinking that everyone that looks like you will think like you.

Gee, I feel like aries4118, sometimes you get tired of repeating yourself on this forum.
Can I just butt in for a second. I've been waiting for this one.
There is nothing wrong with a person wanting to live among those who are like him. I think, as a black man, you and your family most likely do the same thing.
The PC police are raising their ugly heads here. The OP said nothing negative about any other racial group, but only that as someone new to Atlanta, he'd prefer to live among those like him.
I doubt if you would like to be the only black guy in your neighborhood, and the same with any other racial group. Jews do it, Asians do it, Blacks do it, Hispanics do it, but theres something not PC about whites doing it.

 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,527 posts, read 6,760,913 times
Reputation: 3683
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can I just butt in for a second. I've been waiting for this one.
There is nothing wrong with a person wanting to live among those who are like him. I think, as a black man, you and your family most likely do the same thing.
The PC police are raising their ugly heads here. The OP said nothing negative about any other racial group, but only that as someone new to Atlanta, he'd prefer to live among those like him.
I doubt if you would like to be the only black guy in your neighborhood, and the same with any other racial group. Jews do it, Asians do it, Blacks do it, Hispanics do it, but theres something not PC about whites doing it.
On the other hand, the "anti-PC" crowd is flipping out and not paying attention to what people are saying: It is completely unrealistic to believe that he could find exactly what he wants in Atlanta or any of the immediate suburbs. It simply does not exist. Sure, you will be able to find a neighborhood that is majority white even intown, but what happens when they need to say go to the store, watch a movie, eat dinner, etc.

This is America and people are free to think what they want and live around who they want. If he wants to live in a majority white neighborhood and mingle exclusively with white people whilst doing "white activities" (whatever that is) then that's his call and nothing I say or do can change that nor should it. But you have to be walking around with some serious blinders on to think that is even possible within spitting distance of Atlanta.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ohio
1,573 posts, read 1,369,367 times
Reputation: 5149
Lightbulb Hmmm...Can I 'Butt-in' On Your 'Butt-in'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can I just butt in for a second. I've been waiting for this one.
There is nothing wrong with a person wanting to live among those who are like him. I think, as a black man, you and your family most likely do the same thing.
The PC police are raising their ugly heads here. The OP said nothing negative about any other racial group, but only that as someone new to Atlanta, he'd prefer to live among those like him.
I doubt if you would like to be the only black guy in your neighborhood, and the same with any other racial group. Jews do it, Asians do it, Blacks do it, Hispanics do it, but theres something not PC about whites doing it.
You make several good observations in your post, but I wanted to add something I noticed myself...

I visit the Atlanta forum often...some of my favorite CD posters 'live' here, and I enjoy the several informative threads I've seen...there's a wealth of information here being offered by the occupants...

However, it's not always WHAT someone is asking, it's HOW they ask it...I'm black myself, and someone wanting a predominately white area isn't an issue to me, because I live in one in my home city of Middletown...and no, I don't think political correctness has anything to do with someone white or whatever hue wanting to live around folks who are like themselves, or even in a 'diverse' setting...in fact I think PC as a term or an ideology is silly and outdated and needs to be done away with...

My problem comes from when folks start getting snarky and nasty about it, throwing out labels and defiance left and right...now, I can't say I'm an angel, because I've given as good as I've gotten in this particular forum, and I've had my knuclkes rapped by the mods (justifiably) because I went a little too far...

I will help folk here on CD, no matter what race, religion, creed, sexual orientation, political leanings (lol---yeah I said it), if asked the right way...but once the snarkiness and the labels start flying, then I can't guarantee how civil I'll be in return
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:18 PM
 
144 posts, read 27,107 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
On the other hand, the "anti-PC" crowd is flipping out and not paying attention to what people are saying: It is completely unrealistic to believe that he could find exactly what he wants in Atlanta or any of the immediate suburbs. It simply does not exist. Sure, you will be able to find a neighborhood that is majority white even intown, but what happens when they need to say go to the store, watch a movie, eat dinner, etc.
Quite the opposite. The "PC crowd" has not listened and HAS jumped to conclusions. I NEVER said we do "different activies", I simply said amenities which were more culturally identifiable to me. Meaning, alternative/indie rock as opposed to pop/rap culture, as an example.

And let me clarify this for the millionth time, I do not expect to see whites exclusively. I was simply looking for a Caucasian majority in hopes that the consumer and cultural influence with be more to what I'm accustomed to.

I get that you're black and that the pretense to the thread is probably an insult to you by an instilled societal default, but it has nothing to do with you, just me.

I'm not avoiding black people; however, I am searching for white culture - I HAVE EVERY RIGHT IN THIS WORLD TO DO SO.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
 
144 posts, read 27,107 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

However, it's not always WHAT someone is asking, it's HOW they ask it...I'm black myself, and someone wanting a predominately white area isn't an issue to me,
Ok, I'll bite. How could I have asked this in a more racially sensitive way?
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,366 posts, read 1,380,805 times
Reputation: 1133
It's just human nature to identify with more those who look like you. On a macro level, we could even quote "God made man in His image." but that's another story. I don't believe many people actively go avoiding other races because of racism/bigotry when choosing a place to live but as the map on page 1 of this thread will show, it just kind of happens that way.

On the other hand, waronxmas is absolutely right too. The OP is not going to find a completely white area unless he is willing to live in the boonies.

Let me just give two pieces of advice to the OP to get back on topic: 1) there is a very active rail road that goes right through Vinings village (the walkable area) where the condos are located (literally, the rail is only 40 feet away from the windows) so noise MIGHT be an issue if the units havent been sound treated.
2) the condos in buckhead are hella expensive. Most start at about 800,000-1,000,000 and go up to 20,000,000 for the penthouses. Maybe you could find some deals with the housing market the way it is though.

I would recommend Midtown, VaHi, or maybe even Roswell close to the historic town area. Best of luck!
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:24 PM
 
144 posts, read 27,107 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

On the other hand, waronxmas is absolutely right too. The OP is not going to find a completely white area unless he is willing to live in the boonies.
Read the rest of the thread, I am not looking for a "completely white area."

Thanks for the suggestions, I know Buckhead gets expensive. I will probably have to up my price range.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
9,913 posts, read 14,444,188 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Wow, newsflash.You might want to tell that to the residents of Cobb and Gwinnett.
We already know, thank you.

FWIW, the southern part of Cobb where I live is a rather nice mix of people (black and white). Still a nice place to live. Most middle class folks seem to be all right to live and work with regardless of skin color.
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM
 
688 posts, read 1,115,685 times
Reputation: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Can I just butt in for a second. I've been waiting for this one.
There is nothing wrong with a person wanting to live among those who are like him. I think, as a black man, you and your family most likely do the same thing.
The PC police are raising their ugly heads here. The OP said nothing negative about any other racial group, but only that as someone new to Atlanta, he'd prefer to live among those like him.
I doubt if you would like to be the only black guy in your neighborhood, and the same with any other racial group. Jews do it, Asians do it, Blacks do it, Hispanics do it, but theres something not PC about whites doing it.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone today.

The OP said he was BLACK, (and then that post of him saying that was mysteriously deleted) so he doesn't want to live in an area where most of the people look like him. No one cares if people live in a majority white black brown or blue neighborhood. If the OP wanted to live next to people that are like him from a mindset standpoint then that's perfectly fine and I don't think anyone would raise a brow. But b/c he said he was black and wants to live in a majority white area b/c he thinks they will be x y and z is the issue, can people not see that?
 
Old 09-29-2010, 01:51 PM
 
Location: ITP - City of Atlanta Proper
6,527 posts, read 6,760,913 times
Reputation: 3683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
Quite the opposite. The "PC crowd" has not listened and HAS jumped to conclusions. I NEVER said we do "different activies", I simply said amenities which were more culturally identifiable to me. Meaning, alternative/indie rock as opposed to pop/rap culture, as an example.
Therein lies your problem. Those activities are not exclusively white. Sure, maybe a lot of people who make that stuff are, but you really have move yourself into the 21st century. Anyone can enjoy those things and they do.

Especially in the core of Metro Atlanta where those lines are blurred every day. I grew up on the Southside (an area with a percentage of black folks that would probably make your eyes bug out) yet if there is a Weezer concert I'm first in line for tickets and if I choice between watching an episode of Friends and an episode of House of Payne I would watch an episode of Friends. Am I enjoying those things because they are "white" or am I enjoying them because I prefer them?

Whatever your preference is your own preference, but you must understand that in this modern day and age (particularly in the South) saying I want to do "white activities" carries a certain connotation. It has nothing to do with it being some PC double standard either. It's just the way it is based on history.

I guarantee you if you posted that you want to find out places that play Alt rock music or whatever you would have gotten a totally different response from many of the posters here. For instance, a few weeks back someone asked where was the best place to find a bar that catered to Irish food and culture. Not single negative post was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
And let me clarify this for the millionth time, I do not expect to see whites exclusively. I was simply looking for a Caucasian majority in hopes that the consumer and cultural influence with be more to what I'm accustomed to.
And for the millionth time, this is Atlanta, you wont find anything like what you are probably used to here. The city or the immediate suburbs does not function in that manner. There are neighborhoods that are "majority white" but on in the rarest of cases does that translate into something other than between 51% to 80% white. This city isn't called the Black Mecca just because it's catchy. No one is saying you have to like any of those things or participate in what you believe it to mean, but you will not be able to avoid it.


Unless you are more specific to what you are looking for then we'll continue to go in this circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
I get that you're black and that the pretense to the thread is probably an insult to you by an instilled societal default, but it has nothing to do with you, just me.
Meh, you can only assume what's going in half of my head. My Japanese half might be thinking something different right now..like doing a sake bomb or pillaging a small South Pacific island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael0603 View Post
I'm not avoiding black people; however, I am searching for white culture - I HAVE EVERY RIGHT IN THIS WORLD TO DO SO.
You do have every right to do so, but be forewarned that when you move to Atlanta (most of all) you will get very strange looks on peoples faces when you say that.

Last edited by waronxmas; 09-29-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top