Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 04:31 PM

10 posts, read 38,067 times

Advertisements

Hi all. We will possibly be relocating to Duluth (we'll find out by the end of the week). In the meantime I've been doing some real estate research. There seem to be so many gated communities! Our price range is $850k - $980k. We have 3 young children in elementary school. Could anyone give some insight into some of the neighborhoods in Duluth? The ones that keep popping up in my searches are St. Marlo, Sweet Bottom Plantation and Sugarloaf. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 05:21 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
Sugarloaf country club is where a lot of athletes live. A lot of atlanta trashers players live there because hockey training facility is nearby Suwanee. A lot of atlanta falcons (Michael Vicks and former coach Mora) live there too because Atlanta Falcons training facility is also in North Gwinnett. It also is home of Bellsouth classic every spring. It is very privilage location.

You could also look Country club of South in nearby John's Creek. A lot of famous people (Whitney Houston) also live there.

Not familiar with other on your lists. From the address, Sweat bottom is within city of Berkeley Lake and St Marlo is in South Forsyth, actually a little far from Duluth.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Jxu66. I just started a search in Dunwoody as well. Having never visited, it's hard to get a feel for the towns! Thanks for any additional info anyone has out there.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Dunwoody is also very privilage neighborhood. It is older neighborhood. It have older charming, characteristic home. But it does not seems to have a lot of gates community. Don't know that's important to you. Also, most parents in Dunwoody sent their kids to private schools since there are a lot of excellent private schools around that area while parents in John's Creek and Duluth tend to send their kids to public school and there are also lack of private schools around Duluth.

Old 03-07-2007, 07:10 PM

88 posts, read 511,469 times
I would recommend Sugarloaf Country Club over St. Marlo due to the fact that the traffic getting in and out of St. Marlo is a nightmare! There is St. Ives down the road but they are older homes. Country Club of the South would be a good choice but you would be going in at the bottom end of the price range and it is in Alpharetta. There are many nice areas in Alpharetta area in that price range, I'm assuming you want to stay in Duluth and not Alpharetta though.

Last edited by Forsyth-Online; 03-07-2007 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
Dunwoody is in two counties -- Fulton and DeKalb. In terms of house, you will get more for your money and have more choices on the Fulton side (which happens to be in the city of Sandy Springs.) There are only a couple of neighborhoods that fall in that price range in Dunwoody/DeKalb. There are individual infill homes that have been built in older neighborhoods. In some cases, the tear downs are isolated, the only one of the block, but in others serveral have been done at a time.

We have no country club communities in Dunwoody. I have heard good things about all the communities you listed, but you might also want to consider the Falls at Autry Mill which is sort of between Dunwoody and Duluth geographically.

In Dunwoody/DeKalb, I would say that somewhere around 60 percent of kids spend at least some time in public school. The percentage would be lower in Dunwoody/Fulton. The schools in N. Fulton are highly regarded.. .though much larger than what you would find in either Dunwoody/DeKalb or Dunwoody/Fulton.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:41 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,466 times
ooooooo Sugarloaf country club....I passed it the other day and told my husband I want to move there next. Very nice!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM

79 posts, read 416,141 times
Don't live in Atlanta yet, but I have checked out Tavistock in Johns Creek. It's in your price range, in Northview School District, and right across the street from the elementary and middle schools. It's also not too far from Duluth.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Thanks all. It is all so overwhelming... so many counties/towns/neighborhoods to look into! My husband's potential job would be in Duluth so that is the area I've been focusing on but I appreciate all the other info you've given me. I will look into it all!

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Speak of sugarloaf country club, did anybody check out infamous "Mansion Madam"'s house at Sugarloaf country club? It is featured in today's ajc's private quarter.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/business/private/shtories/2007/03/08/0311sbizprivate.html (broken link)

It all depend on what you want.

If you want to live with rich and famous, Sugarloaf CC and Country of South are Worldwide famous due to number of famous people live there.

If you want the best schools and are willing to pay for private school, Dunwoody or even intown is better choice since a lot of excellent private schools there. Driving from Dunwoody to Duluth is not too bad since it is reverse commuting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta