U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:47 AM

7 posts, read 12,162 times
Default Edgewood vs Kirkwood

My girlfriend and I are in our mid-20's, we currently live in Alpharetta and are looking to purchase in Kirkwood or Edgewood. Our price range is about 225k.

We love Kirkwood and Edgewood both but are curious about the crime. We are realists and know there are break-ins regularly but would like to know exactly what we'll be getting into.

We know that Edgewood has ways to come but we can get alot more home for our money in comparison to Kirkwood.

In Kirkwood we are interested in a home off Murray Hill, in Edgewood we are interested in a newly renovated home off of Montgomery.

Also, how will homes in Edgewood appreciate in comparison to Kirkwood? Is Edgewood going to be the new Kirkwood?

Any opinions, personal experiences, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM

461 posts, read 561,843 times
I honestly don't see how a property in that area of Edgewood wouldn't appreciate if you got it at the right price and sat on it long enough, but no one can predict the market right? It's proximity to Coen Park is a big plus IMO.
The house in Kirkwood is obviously a safer bet, it's proximity to Decatur city limits, and that street is lined with gorgeous houses. I doubt you could go wrong with either.
As far as security goes, get a big dog, no worries

Old 09-30-2010, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the reply Lauren. My girlfriend's main concern is time she'll spend alone there during the day. Any advice?

Also, she has a small dog, we'd love a big one as back up but don't want it eating the little fella.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:53 PM

9,125 posts, read 23,184,913 times
I've asked this question before of other posters, but never really got a good answer:

Why would you purposely live in a place where break-ins occur regularly, and where the advice you get from other posters who live in the area is "just get a big dog". I realize it's intown and it's cheap (comparatively), but isn't peace-of-mind worth something? BTW- big dogs aren't as great of a deterent as people think- they may scare off the casual thief, but a determined, career criminal will simply mace the dog or shoot it.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Bob,
Most of the appeal, atleast for us younger folks is the neighborhood's proximity to areas of interest, revitalizing Atlanta neighborhoods that are still affordable, and sharing a neighborhood with a similar demographic. Also, the surrounding areas have appreciated far beyond the price range of an average earner. We enjoy the surrounding nightlife, dining, music venues etc. and would prefer not to commute from the suburbs to take advantage off all these things. Sometimes you have to sit out some of the roughness to be a part of the good that is to come. Many of the wealthier neighborhoods were considered transitional areas less than a decade ago. It'd be nice to be apart of that type of revitilization in the beginning.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:02 PM

I said it because personally I love living in the city. I have lived all over, VaHi, East Atlanta, Inman, West Midtown, Grant Park and Decatur. I have a big dog, I have NEVER once in 15 years had a break in. This could be a combination of things, ie being lucky, not having anything too worth stealing..lol and/or having a dog? I don't know really, all I know is that if someone wants to steal a flat screen, they would probably not rather do it at a house that has a big dog, versus somewhere that doesn't, it's less hassle.
Break Ins occur everywhere, it's not like you can live somewhere where it hasn't ever happened.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:08 PM

187 posts, read 215,430 times
I would choose Kirkwood (I know my screen name doesnt indicate how I would respond). You may be able to get more house for the money in Edgewood, but you are also losing a lot of coolness points. To me, Kirkwood is more comparable to L5P and EAV because it has its own little downtown district. Edgewood doesnt have this (unless you count the Kroger shopping center - ha).

In terms of safety, I would go with Kirkwood. It has less sktechy apartment complexes.

But I really don't think Edgewood and Kirkwood are too different in terms of stage in gentrification. Kirkwood may be five years ahead. Edgewood got a lot of help with the new shopping center. Its just Kirkwood has more Victorian mansions then Edgewood does (if Edgewood has any??), and that is hard to duplicate. I could see Kirkwood as the next Candler Park (appearance wise), and while Edgewood will certianly fully gentrify, I dont think the end result will be as asthetically pleasing.

Also, I am too young for kids, but as a worker in the education field I am aware of schools. Your home values may be higher in Kirkwood because the elementary school is going to "get there" far sooner than the one in Edgewood.

All in all, tough choice. Let us know what you decide!

Old 09-30-2010, 01:12 PM

9,913 posts, read 14,182,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Break Ins occur everywhere, it's not like you can live somewhere where it hasn't ever happened.
I don't think there's been a single break-in in my parents' suburban Twin Cities neighborhood (Minnetonka) since my Dad commissioned their house to be built in or around 1960.

They can occur anywhere (criminals have cars), but that doesn't mean they actually do.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:14 PM

187 posts, read 215,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I've asked this question before of other posters, but never really got a good answer:

Why would you purposely live in a place where break-ins occur regularly, and where the advice you get from other posters who live in the area is "just get a big dog". I realize it's intown and it's cheap (comparatively), but isn't peace-of-mind worth something? BTW- big dogs aren't as great of a deterent as people think- they may scare off the casual thief, but a determined, career criminal will simply mace the dog or shoot it.
While the OP answered better than any one can, in addition to what he said, its also a feeling of being part of the process, not only in revitalizing your neighborhood, but as part of the process in gentrifying Atlanta as a whole. It is very rewarding to watch a neighborhood transition and feel that you have been part of the process and helped make it happen. I know many people who first lived in Candler Park, and once the neighborhood gentrified, they moved to Kirkwood to start over (there was actual an official date to when CP was deemed to be gentrified - I think around 2002 according to Creative Loafing, when the last section 8 apartment complex was razed). Once the Kirkwood/Edgewood/Reynoldstown/East Lake corridor gets done, they will probably head down to Capitol View.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:16 PM

wow, pwned again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta