U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:36 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,623,078 times

Advertisements

Mega Mart is set to open its first U.S. location in metro Atlanta on Oct. 8.
Mega Mart at Gwinnett Place, which offers groceries and family apparel in 150,000 square feet on two levels of Gwinnett Place mall in Duluth, joins 13 other Mega Mart stores across Asia, including 10 in Korea and three in China.

Mega Mart Gwinnett Place opens Oct. 8 - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 04:38 PM

13,600 posts, read 22,056,348 times
Yes!

Old 10-04-2010, 05:13 PM

46 posts, read 187,841 times
Is this similar to walmart supercenters and super target?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 PM

256 posts, read 661,233 times
^It's the Korean version.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,176,537 times
Well it's about time! I'm not ready to start waving the flag of victory yet, but along with this and a few other happenings lately, it seems things are starting to return to "normal"...albeit a "new normal".

While we're talking about foreign companies entering the U.S. via Atlanta, this also looks VERY promising:

Foreign diplomats to visit Atlanta for unprecedented tour *| ajc.com

Quote:
When the U.S. State Department recently surveyed ambassadors from around the world on which U.S. city they wanted to know more about, their No. 1 pick was overwhelmingly consistent: Atlanta.

"Atlanta just has a wonderful story for us to tell about America," said U.S. Ambassador Capricia Penavic Marshall, the government's chief of protocol who's leading the field trip. "I think people think it's a very cosmopolitan city and there's a growing economic community that [a lot of] foreign investment goes into."

It's Atlanta's business scene that diplomats seem most interested in, Marshall said. On the agenda is breakfast with business leaders at the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce and visits to Coca-Cola Co. and CNN. Several ambassadors expressed interest in meeting with airline executives while in town, too, she said.
As global economy recovers, Atlanta is going to be in a great position.

P.S. Does anyone else think that Mayor Reed should swing the diplomats around Ben Carter's office and see if he can sweet talk some of them into dropping 200 mil to finish the "Big Orange Hole in the Ground"?

Old 10-04-2010, 10:50 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,576,318 times
Wow. I lived in Duluth for several years when I was a kid. Back then it was a typical Southern, backwater exurb. I remember Gwinnett Place as being your average, everyday suburban mall (think Ridgedale in MN). Now it's Little Korea! It's really changed. I have to get back there for a visit someday.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well it's about time! I'm not ready to start waving the flag of victory yet, but along with this and a few other happenings lately, it seems things are starting to return to "normal"...albeit a "new normal".

While we're talking about foreign companies entering the U.S. via Atlanta, this also looks VERY promising:

Foreign diplomats to visit Atlanta for unprecedented tour *| ajc.com

As global economy recovers, Atlanta is going to be in a great position.

P.S. Does anyone else think that Mayor Reed should swing the diplomats around Ben Carter's office and see if he can sweet talk some of them into dropping 200 mil to finish the "Big Orange Hole in the Ground"?
This is awesome...and good news.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:47 PM

955 posts, read 2,872,054 times
Any of you invested in real estate near Mega Mart? I am hoping that property values in that area will quickly recover as many wealthy Chicago and NYC Koreans move into the area. I also recently found that NCR, a fortune 500 company moved its headquarters from Ohio to Duluth last November. These are all good signs as we will see more jobs and population growth in the area.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:54 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Any of you invested in real estate near Mega Mart? I am hoping that property values in that area will quickly recover as many wealthy Chicago and NYC Koreans move into the area. I also recently found that NCR, a fortune 500 company moved its headquarters from Ohio to Duluth last November. These are all good signs as we will see more jobs and population growth in the area.
Don't forget that there is almost a pipeline of wealthy Koreans moving in from L.A. also.

This area is on the rebound, and I love that we are the new "it" place for the U.S. Korean community. We are now up to 10 weekly nonstops to Seoul on Korean Air!

Old 10-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Don't forget that there is almost a pipeline of wealthy Koreans moving in from L.A. also.

...and New Jersey (though they may considered a part or elements of the NYC contingent).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or