U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,204,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
In Gadsden, AL we had Belk-Hudson. It was the first building in our town with an escalator. For a treat my mama would sometimes take us to the store just to ride the escalator.
You should bring ya mama to Peachtree Center Station, she can ride the stairway to heaven or to hell depending on which direction yall going in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 AM

2,819 posts, read 9,380,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Why does the new logo remind me of a feminine product? This must be similar to a prior tampon/pad item.
Belk! We want absorb your business!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM

55 posts, read 79,570 times
A little history on Belk ...

It's the largest privately owned (the Belk family still owns and runs it) department store in the US. Belk has been around for well over 100 years, traditionally in small rural towns/ cities w/ downtown locations, then on to local and regional malls, "strip" centers, etc. They have a few flagship stores that are very upscale ans well as stores in strip locations (Belk has always tried to be all thing to all people).

Originally, the Belk family would join forces with a local family to open & operate stores in small rural town & cities. Hence, you get names like Hudson Belk (Raleigh area), and a host of other names. Back in the late 1990s the Belk family bought out / took back control of the Belk stores and most of those hypenated names are gone. The result was a more streamlined business, but much of that uniqueness that I personally liked about them has gone.

I understand their desire to update their look. I really don't care for their new logo. IMO they should have somehow kept the signature B for tradition sake and updated the rest.

For those of you that want to snobbishly knock the store, respectfully you have to admit to be around for as long as they have, expand, thrive and survive they have done something right!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM

563 posts, read 2,548,833 times
Eh. Never heard of it until I moved to Atlanta.

Belk is a necessary evil-that's where I get my son's oxford shirts for school. The store reminds me a little of Burdines (RIP) in South Florida.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post

Belk is a necessary evil-that's where I get my son's oxford shirts for school. The store reminds me a little of Burdines (RIP) in South Florida.
Yeah, they exist in Florida too, but they have never had any stores in Southeast Florida. Fort Myers seems to be as far down as they go.

As far as Burdines, I miss them - along with all the other wonderful regional chains that Macy's/Federated sucked up from coast to coast.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:22 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,160,992 times
As far as the new logo, I've noticed several ads over the weekend featuring it. There are some beautiful shots of the Charlotte skyline in all of them.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
A little history on Belk ...

It's the largest privately owned (the Belk family still owns and runs it) department store in the US. Belk has been around for well over 100 years, traditionally in small rural towns/ cities w/ downtown locations, then on to local and regional malls, "strip" centers, etc. They have a few flagship stores that are very upscale ans well as stores in strip locations (Belk has always tried to be all thing to all people).

Originally, the Belk family would join forces with a local family to open & operate stores in small rural town & cities. Hence, you get names like Hudson Belk (Raleigh area), and a host of other names. Back in the late 1990s the Belk family bought out / took back control of the Belk stores and most of those hypenated names are gone. The result was a more streamlined business, but much of that uniqueness that I personally liked about them has gone.

I understand their desire to update their look. I really don't care for their new logo. IMO they should have somehow kept the signature B for tradition sake and updated the rest.

For those of you that want to snobbishly knock the store, respectfully you have to admit to be around for as long as they have, expand, thrive and survive they have done something right!
Very informative and insightful post.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:38 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post

Why would you hear of Belk before you lived in a city where one is located? It's a regional store...it's kind of like someone saying "Eh, I've never heard of Von Maur or Boscov's. You wouldn't really know about such department stores unless someone specifically mentioned them or you happened to live where one is located.

I remember a coworker of mine talking about how she loved shopping at "Famous" and I thought is was such a silly name for a department store...didn't know it was Famous-Barr since I had never heard of it before.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 PM

13,422 posts, read 16,984,320 times
KUDOS to SOUTHERN EXPOSURE for pointing out an overlooked fact in this thread: That Belk remains a FAMILY owned department store that continues to thrive amid a sea of failures, closures and consolidations. I am much more willing to spend my $$ at Belk than with those bastards at Macy's (R.I.P. Rich's)

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM

563 posts, read 2,548,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Why would you hear of Belk before you lived in a city where one is located? It's a regional store...it's kind of like someone saying "Eh, I've never heard of Von Maur or Boscov's. You wouldn't really know about such department stores unless someone specifically mentioned them or you happened to live where one is located.

I remember a coworker of mine talking about how she loved shopping at "Famous" and I thought is was such a silly name for a department store...didn't know it was Famous-Barr since I had never heard of it before.
Because I travel. No need for the snark.

I've heard of Century 21 and Strawberry in my late teens and early 20's before I even visited NYC, why? Because I like to shop.

Those are regional stores as well.

If anything, that shows how it's essentially a non-descript department store. Not knocking it-it definitely serves it's purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta