U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
221 posts, read 226,973 times
Reputation: 200

Advertisements

I am interested to know how having Marta stops in the suburbs brings crime to the area.

So we have a criminal intent on robbing some affluent homes in say Alpharetta. He doesn't have a car so must ride the Marta. He gets off at the station and then what? Does he take a taxi to the nice homes he wants to rob, have the taxi wait until he is done and then ride back on the Marta with his loot? Does he nix the taxi idea and save money by using a Marta bus instead?

I am serious - I just don't see how expanding Marta brings crime.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
 
15,007 posts, read 9,783,919 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Better off living closer to the city.
I'd qualify that slightly by suggesting it's better to live closer to where you work and tend to other essential matters. For most people (including those residing within the city limits), work is now in the suburbs, not in the city of Atlanta.

By the way, I stopped in the Shell station on Powers Ferry the other day and noticed the gas was something like $3.79 a gallon. Is that typical?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,759,643 times
Reputation: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I am interested to know how having Marta stops in the suburbs brings crime to the area.

So we have a criminal intent on robbing some affluent homes in say Alpharetta. He doesn't have a car so must ride the Marta. He gets off at the station and then what? Does he take a taxi to the nice homes he wants to rob, have the taxi wait until he is done and then ride back on the Marta with his loot? Does he nix the taxi idea and save money by using a Marta bus instead?

I am serious - I just don't see how expanding Marta brings crime.

As serious as you may sound, you had me LMAO!!!!

You are so right. The logic that public transportation brings crime to an area is one of the dumbest things I've heard of so far. There's another thread that started a few days ago about robberies in Alpharetta. Your post would fit in so well, since people think they'd be immune to robberies and home invasions. Thieves don't hop on trains, they drive, they scope out areas. You can't do that taking the taxi, as you say . People are so dumb, it's sad. What it really boils down to is people's insecurities. They think that being away from a big city will shield them from crime. . They think the farther from the city center, the safer .
With property prices being higher in many city centers, poor people will not and already cannot afford to live there (look at NYC, Chicago, and Boston). You can take a bus or train to the most expensive addresses in these cities, so what does that say? It's that Mayberry mentality, and sadly they're the idiots doing the city and public transportation planning, or lack thereof. It's about insecurities and nothing more. Maybe the next generation will get a clue. I think they already are. Until then, it's about doing what's best for you and your family.


Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'd qualify that slightly by suggesting it's better to live closer to where you work and tend to other essential matters. For most people (including those residing within the city limits), work is now in the suburbs, not in the city of Atlanta.

By the way, I stopped in the Shell station on Powers Ferry the other day and noticed the gas was something like $3.79 a gallon. Is that typical?
$3.79? You mean $2.79...We're not at $3 yet for regular gas. Premium is already hitting high $2s, low $3s.

And yes, you are right, it's wiser to live closer to where you work. Let's just hope with the job market, if you lose your job, the next job you find is in the same area (close to where you live). If not, you're SOL. We all know how that happens.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2010, 11:42 PM
 
412 posts, read 432,217 times
Reputation: 217
OMG! This is hilarious! I am inclined to think there are other reasons why they'd rather not have public transportation in their areas. Is there? What about sidewalks? I was told the reason they dont have sidewalks in the city center is because they dont want people walking on the streets??


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I am interested to know how having Marta stops in the suburbs brings crime to the area.

So we have a criminal intent on robbing some affluent homes in say Alpharetta. He doesn't have a car so must ride the Marta. He gets off at the station and then what? Does he take a taxi to the nice homes he wants to rob, have the taxi wait until he is done and then ride back on the Marta with his loot? Does he nix the taxi idea and save money by using a Marta bus instead?

I am serious - I just don't see how expanding Marta brings crime.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 7,392,189 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
OMG! This is hilarious! I am inclined to think there are other reasons why they'd rather not have public transportation in their areas. Is there? What about sidewalks? I was told the reason they dont have sidewalks in the city center is because they dont want people walking on the streets??
Yes, it's an absolute wonder that ANY commerce at all takes place Downtown with all of those muddy paths mucking up everthing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 AM
 
412 posts, read 432,217 times
Reputation: 217
Either way there is no way to end southern close mindedness. They rave about funded projects for public transportation that's published in the excuse for a publication called AJC. However nothing materializes. I dont think I would live to see the so-called streetcar. One can always hope...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 08:44 AM
 
15,007 posts, read 9,783,919 times
Reputation: 3585
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
$3.79? You mean $2.79...We're not at $3 yet for regular gas. Premium is already hitting high $2s, low $3s.
No, it was $3.69. However, we have to use premium in that particular car.


Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 08:53 AM
 
3,130 posts, read 3,069,614 times
Reputation: 1534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabella View Post
I am interested to know how having Marta stops in the suburbs brings crime to the area.

So we have a criminal intent on robbing some affluent homes in say Alpharetta. He doesn't have a car so must ride the Marta. He gets off at the station and then what? Does he take a taxi to the nice homes he wants to rob, have the taxi wait until he is done and then ride back on the Marta with his loot? Does he nix the taxi idea and save money by using a Marta bus instead?

I am serious - I just don't see how expanding Marta brings crime.
lmfao

Same people that want the Falcons moved to the suburbs b/c downtown is a war zone
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
 
2,830 posts, read 2,481,137 times
Reputation: 1249
I think the least illogical argument is that if you let MARTA into the area, you enable people without cars to live there, and people without cars are overwhelmingly poor and black (so they say), so if your goal is to keep poor and black people out of your area, you'd better oppose MARTA coming in.

As the suburbs begin to get increasingly diverse and the city further whitens, hopefully people will begin to rethink this, or at very least the suburbs will become so diverse they are no longer scared of MARTA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,GA
2,614 posts, read 3,759,643 times
Reputation: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, it was $3.69. However, we have to use premium in that particular car.

That's crazy. They were gouging you. Premium in Metro Atlanta for the most part is not even at $3. Even Diesel is cheaper than that. That's crazy.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top