U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
 
14,877 posts, read 9,619,732 times
Reputation: 3543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Black African immigrants are NOT changing what it means to be black in America. They are defining what it means to be a black African immigrant in America. We indigenous black Americans have nothing in common with African immigrants except far, far distant roots and melanin.

I can't express enough how much I HATE it when people lump us all together just because we share skin tones. Stop it! We are not the same!!!

And, anyway, what does this have to do with Atlanta, specifically? A tie-in to keep it "on topic" would be nice or this thread could be locked and go nowhere.
Robinson's observations are directly pertinent to Atlanta. We're arguably the preeminent black city in North America. We've worked hard for the last 30 years to establish Atlanta as a gateway for new arrivals from around the world, and have gained many new residents from Africa and the Caribbean.

By the way, I trust you know that Eugene Robinson is one of the country's leading black political and cultural commentators. If you listened to the interview, you'd know the premise of his book is that the meaning of being black in America cannot be viewed in monolithic terms. It requires a much finer grained analysis, and Robinson suggests that at least four distinct major groups can be identified.

In my opinion we can clearly see this in Atlanta.

-- We have a large, prosperous and well-established black middle class. For example, South DeKalb and the Cascade and Camp Creek areas are easily on par with white suburbs on the north.

-- Unfortunately, we also have a significant group who would fit Robinson's definition of an abandoned class, which continues to be plagued by problems with poverty, crime and education.

-- We undoubtedly have a transcendent class of elite blacks in Atlanta who wield power and influence at the highest levels. They own major business, serve on blue chip corporate boards and are closely linked with important charities and governmental functions.

-- Atlanta is also developing an important group of relatively new immigrants who'd fit the definition of Robinson's "emergent class." As I mentioned earlier, we know and live near several people in that category. One is a very prominent physician and researcher and two others are extremely successful businessmen who hold senior positions with major global companies. Another is a musician who regularly fills concert halls around the world. They were educated and raised abroad and come to the U.S. with a distinctly international mindset and background. As LadyRo says, they likely have very different experiences from blacks who grew up in the U.S.

So I think Robinson's analysis is useful. Being black has never meant just one thing, but more than ever it includes an enormously diverse -- and sometimes quite divergent -- universe of individuals and experiences. Unless those differences are appreciated I don't see how we can understand where our society is or where it's going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2010, 11:11 AM
 
14,877 posts, read 9,619,732 times
Reputation: 3543
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Remember now, the media has a vested interest in keeping people as ignorant and divided as possible. A particular book that I like which speaks to the heart of the dire straits that poor & middle class white america finds itself in is "What's The Matter with Kansas?" by Thomas Frank.
Excellent recommendation. As Frank points outs, what's so distressing is the way many poor (and lower middle class) whites continue to ally themselves with politicians and causes that are directly antithetical to their own interests.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7 posts, read 15,055 times
Reputation: 22
I agree with regard to your points on multiculturalism. Maybe one day society will reach a point whereby people aren't forced at PC gunpoint to bask in every non white culture or otherwise be labeled a "racist" or "hateful". I look forward to society not having to bear the burdensome costs of forced multiculturalism. I'm very happy to see a black woman with the same view, who hasn't been indoctrinated with the absurd PC nonsense. The black community needs more of such independent and objective thinkers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I am not a proponent of multiculturalism, in the sense that we should all be thrown into some big amalgamated stew (the proverbial 'melting pot') to bask in each other's cultural heritage, while holding hands and singing Kumbaya. That said, I don't have a problem with people socializing and learning about other cultures, if that's what they CHOOSE to do. But, I don't think it should be forced on anyone, and I resent being thrown into a category that somebody else thinks I fit in just because of my skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
 
Location: I live in California.
12 posts, read 20,916 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
Black African immigrants are NOT changing what it means to be black in America. They are defining what it means to be a black African immigrant in America. We indigenous black Americans have nothing in common with African immigrants except far, far distant roots and melanin.

I can't express enough how much I HATE it when people lump us all together just because we share skin tones. Stop it! We are not the same!!!

And, anyway, what does this have to do with Atlanta, specifically? A tie-in to keep it "on topic" would be nice or this thread could be locked and go nowhere.
NOPE you wrong.....the Africans "ARE" changing what it means
to be Black in America, because in many African-American communities
it's the Africans who are STILL Black.

Take where I live in California for instance where most Blacks are
in interracial couples & not producing black kids anymore.

Imagine in 250 years from now, they may not be any blackness left
in Black America and the Africans will be the new Black American.

So I disagree with you. Those who are actually Black will be the
ones to define the future "Black" America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 04:52 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
216 posts, read 168,044 times
Reputation: 108
You're entitled to your opinion, but you should at least know what you're talking about when you give it. Most so-called "African-Americans" are ALREADY mixed-race, multiracial, or whatever else anyone wants to call it. What you're now observing, and judging us on, is the result of things that happened 250 years ago. So just like now there are still blacks in the USA, there will still be blacks 250 years from now. California is a "special" place. Don't make the mistake of thinking that just because a lot of black people out there embrace interracial relationships that ALL of us do, because that isn't true. The USA is larger than California, and 90% of what you see on TV isn't true, so don't believe the hype.

The "younger" blacks aren't doing anything that hasn't ALREADY been going on for hundreds of years here. The only difference between now and the past (and the not-so-distant past in some places) is that people don't have to hide, live in the middle of nowhere, fake being Native American, or fake being white (something called "passing") in order to not get killed (or seriously injured) for being in an interracial relationship.

And you can't talk about us with all the Africans (men and women) who are so quick to jump into relationships with whites. Hell, I'm not even white, but because I'm "light-skinned" with "light eyes", and don't act ghetto or dress like a stripper I can't keep African men away from me. What about all those mixed-race Africans/whites in Europe? Please, spare me the BS about Africans being more inclined to stay "pure". Y'all see some light skin and straight hair and lose your minds.

And, I don't care what you say, until immigrant blacks have been in the USA for multiple generations like "African-Americans" have been, and have become 100% American culturally, then you all will NEVER be like us indigenous black Americans or "African Americans". Y'all are like a lot of other immigrants - you want to come over here and reap all the benefits of being in America, but you want to bring all your old habits and cultural practices over here with you, and at the same time look down on those of us who have been here for generations upon generations.

Y'all come over here and immediately go to whatever college you want, and get good jobs and careers, and because it was "easy" for you, you think we are lazy. But, what you don't get is that it was "easy" for you because WE ALREADY DID ALL THE HARD WORK TO PAVE THE WAY FOR YOU. And, y'all don't realize that it's only the cream of the crop that make it out of Africa, to begin with. In terms of American money, you all may have arrived in the USA broke, but back in your home countries, you were the middle class, and the elite. So, getting OUT wasn't too hard for most of you to do. So, a lot of you all that are here already had a huge head start on other Africans.

If it was really as "easy" as you all seem to want to make everybody believe, then there would be many more of you here than there are - especially considering the state of affairs in most African countries today. And, if it's so "easy", how come 99% of the Africans I have met are all illegal? Coming on visitor visas to see "family" and then just never leaving. If it was so easy, so many of you all wouldn't be illegal, would you? Spare me.

So, you come over here and begin to reap the benefits of a civil rights movement that most of you all weren't even here to experience, and you benefit from being "other" than "African American". You benefit from "You might be black, but you're not like "them", so you must be okay", and you get opportunities and passes that a lot of black Americans don't get, based on things that you all didn't even do or contribute to, and you have the nerve to look down on us!? GTFOH. I know what I'm talking about, because if I had a dollar for every white person who told me they liked me (and were telling the truth) because "I'm not like THOSE black people", I'd be rich. You all can't have it both ways. I learned a lot in the 7 years I was married to an African man!

And, why do you and other immigrant blacks care what WE do anyway since we're not like you, and are so far beneath you? Mind your own business, and leave us be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShip View Post
NOPE you wrong.....the Africans "ARE" changing what it means
to be Black in America, because in many African-American communities
it's the Africans who are STILL Black.

Take where I live in California for instance where most Blacks are
in interracial couples & not producing black kids anymore.

Imagine in 250 years from now, they may not be any blackness left
in Black America and the Africans will be the new Black American.

So I disagree with you. Those who are actually Black will be the
ones to define the future "Black" America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,208 posts, read 3,058,512 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Brian Lehrer had a very interesting interview with Eugene Robinson this morning.

The Brian Lehrer Show: African Americans Today - WNYC (http://beta.wnyc.org/shows/bl/2010/oct/07/african-americans-today/ - broken link)

Robinson identifies four basic groups in modern black America. From the Publishers Weekly review:



So have y'all seen evidence of this in Atlanta? I thought it was particularly interesting to hear about what Robinson calls the "emergent class" of well educated, highly motivated immigrants from Africa and the Caribbean. We've met a number of people like that and they are most impressive.
The evidence is right here on these forums. I am offspring of the African/Carribbean motived, urgent group of black people. We basically GET ALOT DONE. American blacks dont like us, & we really dont like them either. Blacks that are ghetto, low class, food stamp/well fare abusers, excuse makers. Blacks that watch from the sidelines & complain they not on the court playing. My parent hate, Ive developed the same hatred for them, especially after living in Atlanta. Im interested in the mainsteam middle class group of blacks, because line between them & low class blacks can seem a lil blurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 11:25 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,208 posts, read 3,058,512 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinda94 View Post
Have you met any African immigrant in ATL or big cities and whats your impression? We certainly are not same so chill out and take your BEEF elsewhere!
Foriegn blacks & domestic blacks are nothing alike. We dont even think the same way. The resentment between the group runs pretty deep. One hates the other for not doing the best they can, the other hates because to them we act like we are better than them, are so they think. Most foriegn blacks come to america & compete. They compete until they win. Once american blacks learn to compete instead waiting in eastpoint lines for handouts, the groups may unite. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 11:32 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,208 posts, read 3,058,512 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Personally, I think black America would be better off being less monolithic. There'd be less pressure on upwardly-mobile blacks to "keep it real" that way.
If only this was possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 03:21 PM
 
2,251 posts, read 1,909,058 times
Reputation: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Foriegn blacks & domestic blacks are nothing alike. We dont even think the same way. The resentment between the group runs pretty deep. One hates the other for not doing the best they can, the other hates because to them we act like we are better than them, are so they think. Most foriegn blacks come to america & compete. They compete until they win. Once american blacks learn to compete instead waiting in eastpoint lines for handouts, the groups may unite. Only time will tell.
Several things

Umm no this is why sometimes Blacks Americans don't get along with black immigrants

1. When black immigrants ignore American history, The struggle, progression and the glass ceilings black Americans had to knock down in which black immigrants our benefiting from.

2. How are yall are going to criticize us when there's no black first world country existing? ) If whites want to leave the US they can live in Brittan, France, Australia and etc. If Asians want to leave there’s Japan, and China, S. Korea and etc are raising. But if black Americans want to leave???????? So who is really the blacks that not doing there best? ) There is no excuse for this "0".

3 your confusing percentages with raw numbers the actual number for black Americans success over black immigrants is way higher it’s not even comparable because there nearly 40,000,000 blacks in US but less than 5 million black immigrants and children of black immigrants seriously.

4. Most black Americans are Not freakin on welfare ) over 75% of black Americans imcomes is to high to even receive it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,450,235 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Once american blacks learn to compete instead waiting in eastpoint lines for handouts, the groups may unite. Only time will tell.
I hate this attitude from Blacks elsewhere in the Diaspora who come over to America. I could just as easily talk about Caribbeans or Africans who wait for handouts in the form of foreign aid or who support or tolerate extremely corrupt political regimes in their home countries, but I believe there needs to be much more unity among us instead of division. Unfortunately people like you foster that division.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 AM.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top