Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times

Advertisements

Dear fellow Atlantans,

We would truly appreciate some recommendations of SPECIFIC neighborhoods in the southeastern corner of East Cobb (Walton Highschool district area).

We are hoping for a relocation BACK to the Atlanta area next year in June, after 1 year and a half of living in Massachussetts. We ended up here for husband's job but now we are looking at an opportunity to return to Atlanta, which would be very much welcome.

We have narrowed down our search to East Cobb but it is very important to us that we will not make a mistake with the neighborhood this time.
As recommended on this forum previously, I have tried to get in touch with certain "mother groups" in the area but I was not able to get any information that way; so I saw myself forced to return here, hoping that someone may be able to PM me with some specific ideas.

We are basically looking for a neighborhood that is

- a swim/tennis community,
- with many children in the 2-8 yo range,
- one that is as diverse/international as it would be humanly possible in East Cobb.
- a place with a real sense of "neighborhood", where neighbors know each other, talk to each other and trust each other and where kids are not only allowed but encouraged to play with their trusted neighbors' children.

This would be in opposition to the typical isolated and desolate feel of uptight suburban areas with houses just sitting there, supposedly being and acting "private".

We once saw such a Utopia in Decatur but we cannot consider that area now.

Since our children were born (2 and 5), we only lived in neighborhoods that either had no children (such as the townhouse we lived in Atlanta) or if they had a few, they were virtually NEVER outside, with families on the stand-offish, self-involved, ostensibly "private" side (the one in Massachusetts where we currently live). Empty discussions about "generalizations", "stereotypes" and the "eyes of the beholder" aside, we are getting tired of living in places where our children have no interest in stepping outside simply because there is NEVER any neighborhood child to play with.

I have been told that what I expect is no longer possible in today's day and age (that is, the age of round-the-clock organized activities, drive-to playdates, TV, video games, etc); we have also been told that our problem may stem from the fact that we look at "too hot" school districts where kids are basically never allowed to just free play.

I am not sure what the reality is but our experience is only one. In the two places we have lived since our children were born, they never had the joy of developing a stable relationship with a neighborhood child.

We are not a household that can set aside tons of time for driving to "playdates", neither do we think that "playdates" can make for an actual childhood. I simply cannot always haul the kids around to various people's houses so they can run around a little bit, upon demand, with adults in stand by, hovering over them, and then go home.

We would just love to find a neighborhood where children could just step outside and find some STABLE playmates, instantly and naturally - without the arduous scheduling of playdates.

Unfortunately, we will not have much time to visit neighborhoods in person as we will be conducting the search largely from a distance (from Mass).
We will have an agent but I have been told agents may not be able to provide us with the kind of neighborhood-related information we are looking for.

Granted, nobody will be able to tell us what is the "childhood philosophy" of specific families in specific neighbrohoods, but I am thinking that the more small children a neighborhood has the more likely we are to find a family or two who might share our views on childhood.

So if you happen to know of such a "Utopia" in East Cobb (southeastern corner, Walton high school district), we would appreciate it immensly.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 02:59 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Dear fellow Atlantans,

We would truly appreciate some recommendations of SPECIFIC neighborhoods in the southeastern corner of East Cobb (Walton Highschool district area).

We are hoping for a relocation BACK to the Atlanta area next year in June, after 1 year and a half of living in Massachussetts. We ended up here for husband's job but now we are looking at an opportunity to return to Atlanta, which would be very much welcome.

We have narrowed down our search to East Cobb but it is very important to us that we will not make a mistake with the neighborhood this time.
As recommended on this forum previously, I have tried to get in touch with certain "mother groups" in the area but I was not able to get any information that way; so I saw myself forced to return here, hoping that someone may be able to PM me with some specific ideas.

We are basically looking for a neighborhood that is

- a swim/tennis community,
- with many children in the 2-8 yo range,
- and one that is as diverse/international as it would be humanly possible in East Cobb.
- a place with a real sense of "neighborhood", where neighbors know each other, talk to each other and trust each other and where kids are not only allowed but encouraged to play with their trusted neighbors' children.

This would be in opposition to the typical isolated and desolate feel of uptight suburban areas with houses just sitting there, supposedly being and acting "private".

We once saw such a Utopia in Decatur but we cannot consider that area now.

Since our children were born (2 and 5), we only lived in neighborhoods that either had no children (such as the townhouse we lived in Atlanta) or if they had a few, they were virtually NEVER outside, with families on the stand-offish, self-involved, ostensibly "private" side (the one in Massachusetts where we currently live). Empty discussions about "generalizations", "stereotypes" and the "eyes of the beholder" aside, we are getting tired of living in places where our children have no interest in stepping outside simply because there is NEVER any neighborhood child to play with.

I have been told that what I expect is no longer possible in today's day and age (that is, the age of round-the-clock organized activities, drive-to playdates, TV, video games, etc); we have also been told that our problem may stem from the fact that we look at "too hot" school districts where kids are basically never allowed to just free play.

I am not sure what the reality is but our experience is only one. In the two places we have lived since our children were born, they never had the joy of developing a stable relationship with a neighborhood child.

We are not a household that can set aside tons of time for driving to "playdates", neither do we think that "playdates" can make for an actual childhood. I simply cannot always haul the kids around to various people's houses so they can run around a little bit, upon demand, with adults in stand by, hovering over them, and then go home.

We would just love to find a neighborhood where children could just step outside and find some STABLE playmates, instantly and naturally - without the arduous scheduling of playdates.

Unfortunately, we will not have much time to visit neighborhoods in person as we will be conducting the search largely from a distance (from Mass).
We will have an agent but I have been told agents may not be able to provide us with the kind of neighborhood-related information we are looking for.

Granted, nobody will be able to tell us what is the "childhood philosophy" of specific families in specific neighbrohoods, but I am thinking that the more small children a neighborhood has the more likely we are to find a family or two who might share our views on childhood.

So if you happen to know of such a "Utopia" in East Cobb (southeastern corner, Walton high school district), we would appreciate it immensly.

Thank you so much!
I like your post. Very refreshing. (see highlighted above)

Before I offer suggestions, I have a few questions:

1. Your housing price range?

2. Why only Walton High District? Is this due to commuting reasons?

3. Why can you not consider Decatur? Is this due to commuting as well?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I like your post. Very refreshing. (see highlighted above)

Before I offer suggestions, I have a few questions:
?

Well, tricky question. Right now, we will be looking at RENTING for a couple of years with the option of buying the house at the end of those two years. Either way, we are looking at houses in the 250,000-280,000 (max).

More or less. We want to reconcile a series of factors which would be convenience to work for me, proximity to some sense of urbanity (Sandy Springs, Buckhead), and good school district. That would make it Walton area.

Yes.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
I sent you a private message but it was before I saw your price range. How about Indian Hills? There are many young families there, a great swim team and Fourth of July is a blast. I think it would work within your price range. I know a few families with young children who really enjoy living there.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post

Well, tricky question. Right now, we will be looking at RENTING for a couple of years with the option of buying the house at the end of those two years. Either way, we are looking at houses in the 250,000-280,000 (max).

More or less. We want to reconcile a series of factors which would be convenience to work for me, proximity to some sense of urbanity (Sandy Springs, Buckhead), and good school district. That would make it Walton area.

Yes.
OK...

You may also want to consider the Wheeler High District in East Cobb as well. It meets your commuting, good school district, "closer-in," and urbanity proximity criteria.

Walton High District Suggestions:
-Indian Hills* (like kaday said)
-Mitsy Forest*
-Brookcliff*
-Chestnut Springs*
-Kings Cove
-Princeton Walk
-Independence Square/Meadow Chase/Princeton West

Wheeler High District Suggestions:
-Indian Hills* (it's in both districts)
-Gant Quarters*
-Millbrook Farm*
-Weatherstone*
-Woodmont*
-Hampton Woods*
-Fox Hills*
-Princeton Mill

* = best bets

Here is a great map:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_High.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 10-10-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 04:05 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
Sorry I don't have any specific neighborhoods to suggest, but I would say look for neighborhoods with sidewalks. The only neighborhoods I've seen with kids playing all had sidewalks. Cul-de-sacs seem to be a good option as well. I've seen those that even have basketball goals set up so that the kids can play. These are the things I plan to look for when I get ready to buy again.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:20 PM

The Centennial High District (in Roswell/North Fulton) and the southern-part of the Roswell High District (in Roswell/North Fulton) could also meet your criteria.

https://portal.fultonschools.org/departments/Operations/Operational_Planning/Documents/ZoneMaps/LargeMap_NFSS_HS_1011.pdf (broken link)

Good Luck with everything...

Old 10-10-2010, 05:04 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,929 times
I concur on Chestnut Springs I forgot about it..good location pretty lots great swim tennis, lots of kids.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I sent you a private message but it was before I saw your price range. How about Indian Hills? There are many young families there, a great swim team and Fourth of July is a blast. I think it would work within your price range. I know a few families with young children who really enjoy living there.
Thank you again, kayday. I will start doing my homework and jot down all neighborhood suggestions. This one sounds nice.

As I said in the PM, our main focus this time will be the neighborhood and NOT the updates/fanciness of the house itself. I learned I can live without granite counter tops and fancy frill just fine (Massachusetts has an amazing way of teaching you how to "know your place" in terms of real estate ); but I cannot live with continuing to see my children longing for other children to play outside, and coming back inside in 5-10 minutes top with a wistful, almost sad look on their face.

Last edited by syracusa; 10-10-2010 at 08:37 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK...

You may also want to consider the Wheeler High District in East Cobb as well. It meets your commuting, good school district, "closer-in," and urbanity proximity criteria.

Walton High District Suggestions:
-Indian Hills* (like kaday said)
-Mitsy Forest*
-Brookcliff*
-Chestnut Springs*
-Kings Cove
-Princeton Walk
-Independence Square/Meadow Chase/Princeton West

Wheeler High District Suggestions:
-Indian Hills* (it's in both districts)
-Gant Quarters*
-Millbrook Farm*
-Weatherstone*
-Woodmont*
-Hampton Woods*
-Fox Hills*
-Princeton Mill

* = best bets

Here is a great map:

http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice/planning/2010-11AttendanceZones_High.pdf (broken link)

I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Aries,

This helps a lot! Thank you so much, they will all go on our list, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta