Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times

Advertisements

You can't even compare Austin to Atlanta. Atlanta is prettier, Atlanta has more shopping, better entertainment, professional sport teams, more professionals, better nightlife, Atlanta is more diverse, Atlanta has more festivals, restaurants, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
I am a 24 year old bi-racial (but consider myself black) female and was thinking about moving to Atlanta. I moved with my parents from Detroit Michigan ,and now have my own apartment, to Austin, Texas. What I don't like about Austin is that the city is not catered to blacks at ALL. Being black and a college graduate has not helped me find a job, which has resulted in me starting my own business (self employed as a writer and Internet marketer). I still want to get a job because I feel like having a job opens up a lot of social avenues for someone my age. The dating scene in Austin sucks for young black females (even if they are attractive) and I get the sense that Austin is a little predjudice. All the resources and opportunities are dried up by the large population of hispanics (no offense).

I guess what I want to know is Atlanta any better, as far as opportunities? I really would like to live in an area that is NOT crime infested...as I have already came from a city that was like that (Detroit, MI), and I'm not in the mood to go through that again . I have been hearing that Atlanta crime rate is soaring, so can anyone suggest close suburbs that are affordable (under $700 for 1br/apt) with low crime rates.

Also, can anyone mention about the job market and which jobs are high in demand. How is the scenery in Atlanta and what places should i avoid? Thank you all in advance

Atlanta crime rate isnt soaring. Its safer than Dallas, Houston, DC, Bmore, Phoenix, etc.

Look in the 30329 area for nice apartments

Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Austin is more than a little racist. It's not a screaming and shouting kind of racism. It's a polite "Sorry but I don't socialize with black people", then smile and wave goodbye kind of racism. It's very class focused as well. There isn't much of a middle class. There are the haves and the have nots across all races there. Contrary to popular belief, there isn't much industry in Austin and most of the haves only hire people that they party with. They mostly only party within their own race and social class so it's hard for a non-white or non-latino to get put on. The whole economy there is becoming more and more service based. I noticed that you were an internet marketer. How many other internet marketers did you meet? Lots right? It's either that or working in a restaurant, event promotions company, or hotel\spa. There aren't even many barbershops out there.

On top of that you have students from the surrounding universities pushing wages down and the rich kids are the worst offenders. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a trust-funder bid down the wages on a decent paying job just to prove that they can get a job to their parents and stay in Austin with their buddies. Of course they spend 2x-3x what they actually earn and their inheritances make up the difference. If you don't already have money it's hard to get on your feet out there and they penalize you for previously working lower paying jobs. If you aren't a high earner the minute you hit Austin then you are branded as not good enough.

They're rebranding Austin as a playground for the rich. It's supposed be a destination for those seeking 3rd or 4th vacation homes. What they've done to SXSW is ridiculous. The dating scene is jacked because it's groupie\celeb centered. The women chase UT athletes, celebrities, and upscale businessmen. The guys mostly pretend to be athletes, gatekeepers of celebs, or rich just long enough to get laid. It's a trap. Get out while you can. Try Houston instead.
Math Commando, you took the words right out of my brain! lol, I have posted my concerns about austin in the austin thread and you should have saw how I got attacked, you would have thought all the experiences I had was a delusion or made up the way people were defending austin. You are so right about the people in austin, which is a shame, because I like the city itself, just not the people in it. And the part about waving hi and then goodbye and "politely" not socializing with blacks is SO true...whats funny is that the hispanics are more likely to do this than the whites.

Since I am no longer in the 'college scene' being that I graduated, its hard meeting and connecting with people. I use to be so popular in my hometown cause I was funny, smart witted and open minded...but here SMH its a whole different story. People barely look my way, besides a couple of the perverted hispanic workers who hang out on the corner...

and the austin thread is the home to a bunch of undercover racists and rich people who own several rental properties...UGH.....all of the black people in Austin are located on the East side, and I connected with a few of them, but that was from a previous job I had. I also noticed how slower the people are in Texas (mentally) I could run circles around them, gawd it makes me want to puke.

You are the 5th person that has suggested for me to look into Houston, which I will definetely do. I will also look at their job market. I am thinking about finding some suburbs that are located in Houston that are mixed racially. I'm not EVEN going to try to fit in with the rich kids here in Austin, cause even the middle class people here barely take notice to me, once I save up enough money, I'm outta of here!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:03 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Everything said here is true. Anyone who tells you Austin is progressive, accepting, open-minded and more. They are usually white. Try being black and taking a trip to Austin during Texas Relays. The bigots come out in full force.
Thats funny you mentioned the Texas relays. When I did have a temp job, a co-worker explained that mostly minorities came out to the relays and not a lot of whites. They said last year they were shooting....people in austin are SO mixed up, I can't wait to leave.lol

Old 10-11-2010, 09:35 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times
Sajae look into Charlotte also. Maybe the Raleigh area as well.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Sajae look into Charlotte also. Maybe the Raleigh area as well.

I wouldnt if you are a young professional. Charlotte and Raleigh are dead. I would move there if I was 80+

Old 10-11-2010, 11:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,380 times
Houston has ADDED private sector jobs over the last 10 years, while adding to its population. Atlanta has LOST private sector jobs over the last 10 years, while adding to its population. That is the situation currently. You have to decide what the future will hold for these two regions.

Also, as someone who believes in "strength in numbers", I feel that TX with its multiple cities (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin) will have more going for it eceonomy wise. Unless you already have people you know in Atlanta, you may want to take that into consideration.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:03 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
To the OP: With much due respect, I think the problem is your mindset and not your location. Why are you so hung up on race? Why limit yourself to making friends with/dating/hanging out with blacks only? Make friends with people of other ethnicities. Date people of other backgrounds. Broaden your horizons -- you'll find that most of the perceived prejudice is just that -- perceived. It's not there. Make friends with people of other ethnicities. Date people of other backgrounds.

Also, who cares about black presence in government, entertainment, etc.? Why does that even matter? Who cares what race the city councilmembers are?

As far as the jobs "not catering to blacks" -- that's not the case. It's not about your race. This is a rough economy. I applied for thousands of jobs (no exaggeration) with rejection upon rejection (I'm also from Michigan). It wasn't because of my race -- I just wasn't what they were looking for.

Anyway, this is 2010. Your race is not a factor in where you choose to live. I'm also multiracial/part-black and I haven't experienced any racism issues living in a predominately-white Great Plains community. However, I don't worry about my race. If you look for racism, you will find it.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:53 AM

73 posts, read 154,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
To the OP: With much due respect, I think the problem is your mindset and not your location. Why are you so hung up on race? Why limit yourself to making friends with/dating/hanging out with blacks only? Make friends with people of other ethnicities. Date people of other backgrounds. Broaden your horizons -- you'll find that most of the perceived prejudice is just that -- perceived. It's not there. Make friends with people of other ethnicities. Date people of other backgrounds.

Also, who cares about black presence in government, entertainment, etc.? Why does that even matter? Who cares what race the city councilmembers are?

As far as the jobs "not catering to blacks" -- that's not the case. It's not about your race. This is a rough economy. I applied for thousands of jobs (no exaggeration) with rejection upon rejection (I'm also from Michigan). It wasn't because of my race -- I just wasn't what they were looking for.

Anyway, this is 2010. Your race is not a factor in where you choose to live. I'm also multiracial/part-black and I haven't experienced any racism issues living in a predominately-white Great Plains community. However, I don't worry about my race. If you look for racism, you will find it.
[hits mute button]

All of this has been addressed previously. What do you hope to add to the thread? You have nothing. Nothing at all. You aren't an Austinite, a Texan, and I seriously doubt that you're a minority in a city that openly practices economic warfare. What did you hope to accomplish? Anyone who has lived in Austin knows what is going on there, regardless of what race they are. Being polite while you BS someone is still BSing them.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:21 AM

21 posts, read 66,217 times
I moved to Atlanta and couldnt be anymore miserable...I moved here because I was miserable where I was living up in the Philly suburbs. After being here, I have realized that I had it made up north and am on the verge of moving right back.
Sure Atlanta, is a beautiful city, I love the country feel of the suburbs here since I am a born and raised city boy...but the southern culture is not my cup of tea. People here are nice, but stuck up, there are like NO jobs, and 90% of the black people here want to be an entertainer or model of some sort.
If the dating scene is bad in Austin, you'll be worse off in Atlanta - Atlanta is like the #2 city for gay people in the country, right behind San Fran. The common complaints I hear from black women here are: the dating scene is terrible here because...most of the men are gay, ghetto/broke/going nowhere, or already taken.
If you really want to move here, I suggest spending a month or so here just to get a feel for it before you actually take the leap, because this is a BIG life decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta