U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2010, 09:13 AM

7,852 posts, read 12,754,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I count about a dozen surface lots of various sizes between McGill, the Connector, Piedmont, and North. And numerous other very low density things like freestanding 1-2 story commercial buildings with adjoining parking lots, gas stations, churches with adjoining parking lots, etc.

By standards of downtown or the central parts of midtown, there's a wealth of developable land in the area.
Every block isn't intended to be super talls...of those "dozen" surface lots (which I question the validity of) imagine how many parcels ARE NOT surface lots. That small number certainly wouldn't create a gap in the skyline.

I'm not trying to say that Atlanta doesn't have it's parking lots and 1-2 story buildings - it does, like every other city. But they don't create these phantom gaps that people are so fond of discussing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 AM

421 posts, read 1,678,646 times
Thanks for posting this pic! I absolutely love it!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:06 AM

15,094 posts, read 9,828,472 times
Beautiful photo! Atlanta is really growing into a major city.

For what it's worth, 1-2 story buildings are fantastic for creating urban density. Look at Decatur, Virginia-Highland, Buckhead Village (before it got torn down). Or just about any other city in the world.

Surface parking lots, not so much.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM

2,832 posts, read 2,487,470 times
1-2 story buildings can be fantastic--when they are tightly-packed storefronts. The whole area encompassed by North, Piedmont, Linden, and Juniper is comprised of 1-2 story buildings, but you'd have a hard time arguing any single one of them qualifies as best and highest use. I'd guess the strongest argument would be for the Mandarin Buffet or the Post Office, both with their adjoining surface lots.

Anyway, I took a moment to make a map of land that's underused by basically any sane standard.

Not included are things that I consider to be low density but built-out: two story parking decks, a sprawing church complex with multiple surface lots, a massive, gated, suburban-style three-story apartment complex, etc.

In a way I agree that the gaps are overstated because it's generally hard to get a view over the city, compared to something like LA or Phoenix especially. But where the connector runs through there's a gap much larger than can be justified just by the connector itself. There's a ton of surface parking lot space around the corner of Peachtree & Pine, and in sum it makes about a 1,000' gap with a 300' roadway cutting through it.

That's my main gripe: get the homeless shelter out of there, and I'd bet some sort of significant development occurs on one of those four lots within 10 years. That would close the gap.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Beautiful photo! Atlanta is really growing into a major city.

For what it's worth, 1-2 story buildings are fantastic for creating urban density. Look at Decatur, Virginia-Highland, Buckhead Village (before it got torn down). Or just about any other city in the world.

Surface parking lots, not so much.
See? We can agree on some things.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
1-2 story buildings can be fantastic--when they are tightly-packed storefronts. The whole area encompassed by North, Piedmont, Linden, and Juniper is comprised of 1-2 story buildings, but you'd have a hard time arguing any single one of them qualifies as best and highest use. I'd guess the strongest argument would be for the Mandarin Buffet or the Post Office, both with their adjoining surface lots.

Anyway, I took a moment to make a map of land that's underused by basically any sane standard.

Not included are things that I consider to be low density but built-out: two story parking decks, a sprawing church complex with multiple surface lots, a massive, gated, suburban-style three-story apartment complex, etc.

In a way I agree that the gaps are overstated because it's generally hard to get a view over the city, compared to something like LA or Phoenix especially. But where the connector runs through there's a gap much larger than can be justified just by the connector itself. There's a ton of surface parking lot space around the corner of Peachtree & Pine, and in sum it makes about a 1,000' gap with a 300' roadway cutting through it.

That's my main gripe: get the homeless shelter out of there, and I'd bet some sort of significant development occurs on one of those four lots within 10 years. That would close the gap.
I love Atlanta's churches and would be very opposed to pushing them out. They need nearby parking to remain in the city.

I still don't think that those few lots create real "gaps" in the skyline except from far away viewpoints.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:13 PM

2,832 posts, read 2,487,470 times
I agree the churches are cool, but the particular one I'm talking about is a fenced-off, four acre campus smack in the middle of the city. It would be cool to perhaps master plan the church along with some new stuff to densify in the future.

And when St Marks wanted to destroy those historic homes on Juniper to create more surface parking, that kinda got them on my bad side...

Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I agree the churches are cool, but the particular one I'm talking about is a fenced-off, four acre campus smack in the middle of the city. It would be cool to perhaps master plan the church along with some new stuff to densify in the future.

And when St Marks wanted to destroy those historic homes on Juniper to create more surface parking, that kinda got them on my bad side...
I agree with the comment about St. Marks...I thought there must be a better solution.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:27 PM

15,094 posts, read 9,828,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
See? We can agree on some things.
LOL! I suspect we agree on most things.

testa50's got a great point. Urbanism is much more about the form and placement of buildings. As we all know, you can have a nest of skyscrapers that doesn't feel like a city at all. Or you can have few blocks of 1-2 story buildings and they are immediately recognized as the most urban parts of town.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 PM

4,756 posts, read 3,088,235 times
That's a good point. I liken L.A. vs. Indy to that. L.A. - lots of big buildings, but just not very "downtownish." Indy - mid-rises and low rises, but Indy's downtown is very cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta