U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,545 times
Default Park Atlanta is the new Mafia!!

I am absolutely fed up with the parking "contractor" the city of Atlanta has approved to enforce Atlanta parking. Park Atlanta promises the City of Atlanta $5.5 million dollars per year under a new contract. To put it into perspective the last 2 years the City of Atlanta has gained $2.1 million dollars in revenue from parking tickets! That means Park Atlanta has to write twice as many tickets just to break even! And as private subcontractor they want to make a profit so they are gouging Atlanta residents anyway they can with parking tickets!

In the last 2 months I have received 8 parking tickets for parking somewhere I used to park with no problem before Park Atlanta came into the picture. 2 of these tickets were not valid as they were written outside of enforcement times. This incessant harassment and ticketing from Park Atlanta makes me regret moving into the city. This just doesn't seem legal seeing as how this private company is seeking to make profit and will use any means possible to do so, including gouging Atlanta motorists making them fearful to park anywhere in the city. They ride around in their white golf carts and pick ups waiting for you to miss the meter by a minute or two just so they can ticket you $28 which doubles to $50 if not paid in 2 weeks. This is an absolute pain and will do the city more harm than good.

The city is still trying to move more people into the city limits, as several condos and mixed use developments sit half empty or still waiting to break ground. The MOB mentality of a company like Park Atlanta ticketing motorists in any way, shape, or form that they can will not only deter people from moving here, but it will also deter tourist and businesses , as business owners are already complaining that the fear of Park Atlanta is making them lose customers. The 7 year contract Atlanta has signed with Park Atlanta seems to have been a HUGE mistake by that criminal Shirley Franklin and Kasim Reed seems to have no plans to fix things any time soon.

I am absolutely fed up with Atlanta. This is a city where having a car is almost a necessity as MARTA and public transit is a COMPLETE JOKE! And instead of improving public transportation or actually implementing any useful rail transit into the BeltLine they'd rather waste money on random parks and employing Park Atlanta and incompetent city officials instead of making the city actually more enjoyable for its residents. This city is a poorly run, mismanaged joke! And no I am not an angry Yankee transplant or anything of the sort. I was born and raised in Decatur, went to college here, and I'm employed by Georgia Tech and yes I am extremely angry with Atlanta and its city officials for allowing a private company like Park Atlanta to make the city even worse than it already is, by bleeding city residents and motorists dry with an onslaught of tickets, a percentage which I'm sure are not even valid.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:42 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,357,126 times
You think Atlanta is bad trying parking in downtown DC, Bmore, Philly, or NYC...lol

I dont even go downtown now unless it's after the time I can park for free.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:47 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,357,126 times
Actually Atlanta is YEARS "behind" on parking enforcement. Most cities have been enforcing this for YEARS

You better be happy Atlanta doesnt have red light cameras. DC is making a killing off of those.

Yes I hate Park Atlanta and I wish the city would get rid of them

Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM

2,664 posts, read 2,971,900 times
They have gotten me a few times this year.

Not even worth get my blood pressure up anymore...

Old 10-13-2010, 03:12 PM

22 posts, read 52,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
Actually Atlanta is YEARS "behind" on parking enforcement. Most cities have been enforcing this for YEARS

You better be happy Atlanta doesnt have red light cameras. DC is making a killing off of those.

Yes I hate Park Atlanta and I wish the city would get rid of them

There are several red-light cameras in the metro area. If i remember correctly, several of which earn nearly $1million annually in fines.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,143,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiv View Post
There are several red-light cameras in the metro area. If i remember correctly, several of which earn nearly $1million annually in fines.
Yes, it was all good until the legislature forced longer yellows at those lights. Revenues went to nothing and a lot of them shut down b/c they were no longer profitable. This despite the original reasoning that they would reduce accidents and improve public safety. The second they went revenue negative, they were on the chopping block.

Georgia: Red Light Cameras Struggle in Face of Longer Yellow

Old 10-13-2010, 04:35 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,654,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilag View Post
You think Atlanta is bad trying parking in downtown DC, Bmore, Philly, or NYC...lol

I dont even go downtown now unless it's after the time I can park for free.
I was thinking the same. That's a walk in the Park (no pun intended) compared to NYC. NYPD would have a field day with the OP. They'd fine you and give you the attitude with it, if you tried to fight it, or begged them to stop writing. In NYC, they just scan your registration on the windshield, and print the ticket. In a matter of 2 minutes. The OP should consider herself lucky!!! Very Lucky!! The OP doesn't know how sweet it is compared to NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_belle View Post
I am absolutely fed up with the parking "contractor" the city of Atlanta has approved to enforce Atlanta parking. Park Atlanta promises the City of Atlanta $5.5 million dollars per year under a new contract. To put it into perspective the last 2 years the City of Atlanta has gained $2.1 million dollars in revenue from parking tickets! That means Park Atlanta has to write twice as many tickets just to break even! And as private subcontractor they want to make a profit so they are gouging Atlanta residents anyway they can with parking tickets!
Don't you just love privatization? All for profit!!! And you thought, Gov't was always bad. LOL. (I'm not defending gov't)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_belle
In the last 2 months I have received 8 parking tickets for parking somewhere I used to park with no problem before Park Atlanta came into the picture. 2 of these tickets were not valid as they were written outside of enforcement times. This incessant harassment and ticketing from Park Atlanta makes me regret moving into the city. This just doesn't seem legal seeing as how this private company is seeking to make profit and will use any means possible to do so, including gouging Atlanta motorists making them fearful to park anywhere in the city. They ride around in their white golf carts and pick ups waiting for you to miss the meter by a minute or two just so they can ticket you $28 which doubles to $50 if not paid in 2 weeks. This is an absolute pain and will do the city more harm than good.
It's not only the city of Atlanta.

Words of wisdom: Don't park in the same spot you got a ticket in. Another lesson to learn coming from a big city guy, it's cheaper to pay for a parking spot than to pay for a ticket a month later.

Quote:
The city is still trying to move more people into the city limits, as several condos and mixed use developments sit half empty or still waiting to break ground. The MOB mentality of a company like Park Atlanta ticketing motorists in any way, shape, or form that they can will not only deter people from moving here, but it will also deter tourist and businesses , as business owners are already complaining that the fear of Park Atlanta is making them lose customers. The 7 year contract Atlanta has signed with Park Atlanta seems to have been a HUGE mistake by that criminal Shirley Franklin and Kasim Reed seems to have no plans to fix things any time soon.
Why fix something that doesn't seem to be broken (yet)? (I'm playing devil's advocate here, not trying to disagree). Regardless, people are still going to move into the city. They're just going to suck it up by paying for parking spots, getting condos with assigned parking, or do away with the car altogether. That's what happens in big cities. Atlanta is no exception.

Quote:
I am absolutely fed up with Atlanta. This is a city where having a car is almost a necessity as MARTA and public transit is a COMPLETE JOKE! And instead of improving public transportation or actually implementing any useful rail transit into the BeltLine they'd rather waste money on random parks and employing Park Atlanta and incompetent city officials instead of making the city actually more enjoyable for its residents. This city is a poorly run, mismanaged joke! And no I am not an angry Yankee transplant or anything of the sort. I was born and raised in Decatur, went to college here, and I'm employed by Georgia Tech and yes I am extremely angry with Atlanta and its city officials for allowing a private company like Park Atlanta to make the city even worse than it already is, by bleeding city residents and motorists dry with an onslaught of tickets, a percentage which I'm sure are not even valid.
I understand the frustration. Good thing you're venting. I can relate (having lived in big cities myself). Looks like you're frustrated with Atlanta's growing pains. If you work for GA TEch, don't you have parking provided by them? You should work something out with your employer. Tuition is not cheap there, so get your money's worth as an employee...

Good Luck. You'll be fine. Just do what NY'ers do about the same thing. Complain, then take the bus or train....(and do some more complaining about the fare going up....). Relax, at least you didn't get towed or booted. That would tick anyone off.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM

14,566 posts, read 9,141,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_belle View Post
In the last 2 months I have received 8 parking tickets for parking somewhere I used to park with no problem before Park Atlanta came into the picture.
Not to be impertinent, but what kind of place were you parking in? And why'd you keep doing it six more times after the first couple of tickets?

Aside from that, I have also heard a lot of complaints about this new parking contractor. This sort of stuff will probably become more and more a way of life as cities and counties get desperate to make their payrolls. Sorry you are having so much trouble.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:48 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,901,855 times
This has been a pretty bad PR move for the city council ever since Park Atlanta started operating. They should have known better than to just give PA free reign from the get go. When PA started handing out tickets left and right in areas that haven't been enforced for years as well as enforcing 24 hour parking zones without prior warning, residents started getting ticked off.

I think a lot of business owners are getting ticked off too because patrons are being driven away by overaggressive parking enforcement. I was shocked to see meters installed in Little Five Points of all places.

I've heard the city is currently looking for a way to get out of the contract but I don't see that happening without it forking over a lot of money to PA. It's just another thing this city's leadership failed to fully think through.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:12 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,654,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
This has been a pretty bad PR move for the city council ever since Park Atlanta started operating. They should have known better than to just give PA free reign from the get go. When PA started handing out tickets left and right in areas that haven't been enforced for years as well as enforcing 24 hour parking zones without prior warning, residents started getting ticked off.

I think a lot of business owners are getting ticked off too because patrons are being driven away by overaggressive parking enforcement. I was shocked to see meters installed in Little Five Points of all places.

I've heard the city is currently looking for a way to get out of the contract but I don't see that happening without it forking over a lot of money to PA. It's just another thing this city's leadership failed to fully think through.

While it's sad, isn't it the kind of trade off to be expected when privatizing everything? All they care about is money (private corporations). Aren't some happy that gov't isn't taxing them, instead?

Nothing aimed at you or anyone else, but when all you care about is profit, you'll do whatever it takes to make that mighty dollar. And that's what they're doing. I'm waiting for the anti-gov't posters to start making excuses. Well maybe, they'll blame the OP this time.

Funny how humans are. If it's not the GUBMENT, it's gotta be corporate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta