U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 04:35 PM

6 posts, read 26,098 times

Advertisements

My husband and I with 2 small children are interested in moving into the Oakhurst/Decatur area by the St.Thomas catholic school/church. We would like to stay under $500,000, is this even possible? Or does anyone have any advice?!! Please Help!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM

34 posts, read 265,010 times
Oh, it will be no problem to get a 3 or 4 BR house in that neighborhood (Midway Woods or Winnona Pk) for under 500K. You can get a good (used) house there in the high 300s, and on up from there. It will likely be a 40s-60s era brick house that may need a few renovations, but some in that price range are fully upgraded already. I saw some good ones recently when I was house hunting. Search the FMLS in zip code 30030. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM

401 posts, read 1,547,025 times
Default Oakhurst/Decatur

Hmmmm, by reading your post, I assume that you plan to send your kids to St. Thomas More School. I'm not sure that I would live in Decatur and pay Decatur taxes and then turn around and do private school. St. Thomas More is very close to the city line and you could probably find sth close enough in Dekalb County if you go north/west on Ponce de Leon a few blocks.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 AM

thanks for the tip, which areas/subdivions would be recommended? Husband travels alot and would be alone often with 2 young children? would kirkwood be an option?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM

426 posts, read 1,236,349 times
If you like Oakhurst, Kirkwood is quite similar and you will get a bit more for your budget than Oakhurst. And slightly lower taxes. This advice is contingent on your private school decision though. Oakhurst Elementary is a stronger school than Toomer Elementary (in Kirkwood), ditto for the middle schools. High schools would be equivalent (Grady versus Decatur High). Safety-wise, I would say they are about equivalent. I have lived in Kirkwood six years without trouble. (Do own a rottweiler though!) Some areas of Kwood still have an active drug trade, but the same is true of Oakhurst.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Oakhurst drug trade?

I dunno... I live in Oakhurst and haven't seen any drug activity in years. I am sure drugs exist, but I haven't seen any dealing since we first moved here 7 years ago. Kirkwood is a much bigger area than Oakhurst so it may have some pockets of drug dealing, but most of Kirkwood is wonderful and is less expensive than Oakhurst b/c their elementary schools aren't as good (yet). However, Eastlake and Toomer have come a long way in recent years and there are groups of parents with young children that have been working very hard at those schools so in a few years they may be quite good... Toomer does need to get rid of Direct Instruction though.

I agree with the big dog comment. If I am alone at home with the kids I take great comfort in my big loud obnoxious dog!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 PM

Are there certain streets or areas of Kirkwood to avoid? I think we can find more house for our money but having lived in inner city neighborhoods before, realize you just have to know what streets or general area to avoid? SO I am looking for some direction?! But that is great to know about the schools.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:06 PM

426 posts, read 1,236,349 times
Default Areas of Kirkwood

As a general rule, I would say there has been more renovation and new construction north of Hosea Williams Blvd. and east of Howard St. If I was buying a house in the neighborhood today, I would stay in that quadrant and as close to Bessie Branham park (corner of Kirkwood Rd. and Delano St.) and the "downtown" area (where Oakview Rd. forks off of Hosea Williams) as possible. But that DOES not mean that anything outside of that area is necesarily less safe or less desireable. I think the vast majority of the crime in the neighborhood emmanates from just a few houses and an apartment complex or two. And things change quickly. When I moved into the neighborhood there was a terribly active drug house at the end of my street. All gone now. You may want to meet with a realtor who is local to the area. There are three real estate agencies located in the Kirkwood "downtown" area. Look at Page Title (http://www.kirkwoodbiz.com/Directory.html - broken link) for the neighborhood business directory. Any of the three should be able to give you good advice on the neighborhood.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:20 PM

42 posts, read 142,909 times
Smile Unincorporated Dekalb next to Decatur

Look at a map and find a nice neighborhood bordering Decatur, but not IN Decatur. You can pay to send your kids to Decatur schools and save a bundle on your mortgage and taxes. I used to live on Royal Bluff. Where were y'all when I was trying to sell my house?

The south side of Decatur is improving all the time. It varies block by block for now.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Decatur schools - tuition is not such a good deal.

You need to run your math to decide whether to pay tuition to send your kids to Decatur schools. On a $500,00K house in Decatur, your taxes will total about $9000. About $1500 of that will be Dekalb County taxes that you have to pay anyway. So that leaves you with a $7500 Decatur tax bill. Decatur charges $6750 as of next year for tuition per child so it adds up quickly.

Also, if you live in DeKalb County, you will pay much more than $1500 on $500,000 because you will pay DeKalb's school taxes also.

Don't just assume that it is cheaper to tuition into Decatur schools. Sit down and get real numbers and do your math first!

We do have a lot of kids who pay tuition, but it makes more sense to me to just pay the taxes, especially if you have more than one kid. Another problem is that enrollment is going way up in Decatur and the elementary schools are pretty much full, so you may not get a spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or