Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 PM

397 posts, read 842,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaVibe786 View Post
This interesting the OP has another post in the Atlanta Forum:

Moving BACK to ATL, please help with neighborhood suggestions!

I guess now you wouldn't recommend moving there ?
That was way back in September that the OP stated that McDonough was a great area. It's October now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 11:38 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1968 View Post
Republicans????
Wow, it must be so traumatic to live among people who dont think exactly like you.
Maybe they will do or say something politically incorrect, and you can get them arrested or fired.
Or worse yet, they all might work for a living and pay taxes and want smaller government, (again, how traumatic for you to have to look at them),
or they might use their guns to stop someone from robbing you.
Or they might tell black people they should still be picking cotton (city councilmen in Warner Robins), or beat up black women in Cracker Barrel Restaurants (Clayton County) or fly confederate flags and have pictures of Obama with his face crossed out (everywhere outside the perimeter). I saw a confederate flag sticker on someones car down there one time that said "I don't give a damn if your offended".

As for the OP, you get what you deserve for not doing any research on where you were moving to. People everywhere are buying into this media perception that the south is completely different than it used to be. They are told its a progressive, affordable and economically booming place for everyone to migrate to. Then they get down there and see its not progressive at all outside of the big cities and the big cities aren't affordable to live in, and there aren't many jobs anywhere. I learned my lesson too and left ATL after two years.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
What's a REPUBLICAN FLAG look like? This, maybe:

I think it looks more like this

Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 AM

106 posts, read 232,285 times
I'm glad my generation isn't as concerned with the racial squabbling. I often read some of this bitterness, and I laugh, because it seems so... how do I say it... backwards and sensationalized.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Grow oldgetwise. When you start buying a house and have property values and education for your kids you will sing a different tune. Yes some things have changed for the better but in the particular area of mcDonough things are pretty much the same. Not Atlanta at all.

We just moved from Fayetteville to Chapel Hill N.C. because we had a belly full of republicans and small minded people.

Too bad OP did not do his research. Rent out the house and rent in Atlanta and you might see the incredible differences.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:35 AM

876 posts, read 2,277,415 times
If you can absorb the loss, go ahead if you are that unhappy with McDonough (somewhat typical far-flung suburb with mostly black and white people). I doubt you could sell it now and break even, more likely you will take a loss. A local real estate agent can quickly answer that question for you if you make a few phone calls to them explaining where you live, etc.

As for demographics in Henry county, you can find a few other people of other ethnic backgrounds, but I would say whites and blacks make up about 85-90% of the population in Henry county. Hispanic and Asian population in that county is probably rather low if that is a concern for you.

I am pretty familiar with the Henry County area myself and I think it is OK, but it all depends on many factors whether or not to live there or choose to live there again. If my work were near the area, I would live there again.

While I don't care about most people's politics, ethnicity or faith (religion), I am more concerned about amenities, cost, convenience and public schools. The public schools in Henry county are generally not that strong so for my likings, so it could be a deciding factor if I were to move away from the area (hypothetical situation). While this doesn't matter as much to me, you will read it here in other threads: most far flung suburbs in metro Atlanta are considered conservative. If you live intown, politics tend to lean more liberal in most areas.

Do you think you like the Atlanta area at all or would you prefer to move away?

Here is some advice about potential rental property: I have rented property before and I do not recommend if you want to take on more potential losses. It bled me financially dry due to vacancies and dead beat renters over the years. Like many here, most of my property has lost substantial value in the last 5 years or so, so your loss at selling now may be less than for many others who have been here longer, just something to think about. If I were you, I would try to sell at a loss and go elsewhere if you do not like Atlanta that much. Good luck.

Last edited by SW30303; 10-23-2010 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-23-2010, 12:07 PM

19 posts, read 184,256 times
We're also planning a move to the Atlanta metro area next year. We're considering Marietta, because of the exorbitant price of housing in good areas closer to Atlanta. We live in NE central Phoenix and it would be perfect but for the 'fry an egg on the pavement' temperatures for 4 months during the summer every year! We have side-walks as standard and street lighting. Stores are all within a mile of the house, doctors, schools etc. too. Crime is very low and it's safe to walk around our neighborhood at night. Housing throughout the Phoeix metro area has taken a dive in prices since the recession. We know that we're going to take a hit when we sell next year to go to Atlanta. Could be up to $75,000, or more?
However, we have wanted to move for some years, particularly my wife. The 'dry heat' of summer is remeniscent of being in an oven! We're replacing it with the 'wet heat' of Atlanta, but we'll have tangible seasons again, which will be nice. Believe it or not, 300+ days of clear blue skies every year, becomes monotonous and boring after a couple of years.
I sympathise with Rod Moore. I too may have been seduced by the countryside, or the burbs? However, my wife has been very particular about what she wants and she wants to keep the same citified feel that we have at present. We have therefore planned to move close to downtown Marietta, rather than out aways. The only thing we are concerned about now is being far away enough from the sound of the trains!
I think everyone else in this post has agreed that Rod is more likely to make a loss on his investment than a profit. The only way to possibly salvage the situation would be to hold onto the property and ride the next few years of the recession until home values rise again.
On the other hand, we are not in a position to do that and for a number of reasons we are moving to the Atlanta metro area next year. We're going to make a loss but it's something that we've already agreed to live with.
Anyway, I don't know whether that helps Rod any? Good Luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 PM

349 posts, read 781,256 times
You may have been more at home in the northern metro area as that is where the majority of transplants live. The farther flung southern suburbs are predominantly traditional southerners. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I am just thinking from a cultural standpoint. You may have more in common with folks in an area that is majority transplants since you yourself are one. You can't judge an entire region by one area.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:58 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,349 times
Ah another house flipper getting burned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta