Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 42,511 times

Advertisements

I am planning to visit Atlanta over weekend and was wondering about tourist spots one must see in Atlanta.

- Which areas to avoid for staying in Atlanta?
- Is it feasible to use car to visit downtown Atlanta?
- Other areas nearby Atlanta which are worth visiting!!!
- Best spot to take good downtown skyline photographs in day/night time.
- Things which I should watch out for!!!

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 06:22 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,028 times
As a former Atlanta resident, I always took people to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens in Piedmont Park. I think it is the best tourist attraction in the city. Georgia Aquarium is just OK to me. Very crowded and expensive. I also recommend you spend time walking/shopping/eating at some of the city's eastern neighborhoods, including Virginia Highlands and Little 5 Points. If you have kids, Fernbank Museum in Druid Hills (a bit further east) is a good stop. For a nice hike and a neat view of Atlanta from a distance of about 20 miles, you could check out Kennesaw Mountain (or Stone Mountain). Enjoy!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:45 PM

475 posts, read 1,370,750 times
Some more ideas in this thread too. I was looking for different stuff. Not sure on what to tell you to avoid, I'd just look at hotels online and decide. I'd say look at midtown.

As tourguide, I've run out of ideas...

Old 10-24-2010, 07:50 PM

106 posts, read 232,409 times
- Other areas nearby Atlanta which are worth visiting!!!

Here's some stuff you can do near Atlanta,

You can take a trip out to Stone Mountain. You can spend a day at their park, and on top of the mountain.

If you want to spend more money, you can head out to Lake Lanier.

If you want to head north, you can visit the Etowah Indian Mounds. It's cool because you can see how pre-historic indians lived in the North Ga area. After your done with that, you can head south back to Atlanta where you can either stop at Red Top Mountain, or you can visit Kennesaw Mountain and all the Civil War history stuff. I'd recommend eating at O.K. CAFE off of highway 75, as your heading north.

Outside Atlana, in the NE area of Ga, you can visit the old gold mining city of Daholenega, and your in the mountains, there is lots to do out there.

If your down in Midtown, I'd recommend going to the Coca Cola Museum, then grabbing something to eat at Mr. Everythings off MLK drive, it's got good chicken & rice, good spot. From there, I'd say explore the city. Also during the day, take a walk down Peachtree St. stop at Hard Rock Cafe or Hooters, grab some food, then walk down to Underground Atlanta, look at the fountains and go buy something down below in the gift shops.

If your in the mood to spend money, go over to downtown Buckhead, buy some clothes.

If you want to go shopping for some hood stuff, or some hard to find Nike's, go over to the Westend Mall and pick something up during the day.

Most people say, go check out Little Five points, but I say, don't do that unless your seeing a show or event or somthin.

You can go to the dirty zoo if you want, at least it was dirty when I was a kid, I'd most definately recommend stopping at Fernbank museum, lots of great food around as well.

Best thing if possible, is to just explore the city yourself with a GPS and keeping in mind the major tourist stuff to do in your viewpoints for reference of where in the hell you are.

What I just listed off the rip, is just one way to explore & spend time in Atlanta and the surrounding areas, there is thousands of other stuff you can do as far as tourist stuff.

- Things which I should watch out for!!!

Stay out of the run-down neighborhoods at night, and shoo away the homeless people to prevent the "atlanta cerebal mind hustle talk". Just cut it short with em.

Old 10-24-2010, 08:47 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,086 times
Go to atlanta.net, which is the website where they have tourist info, and you can get discount tickets on things like the auquarium and the high museum.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Have you found a place to stay/motel or hotel?

From recent threads there have been some good recommendations--if you need that.
Do you need want recs for places to eat in the vicinity of some of the places mentioned as tour destinations?

The Atlanta History Center in Buckhead is also a good place to visit. IIRC, the Lincoln exhibit will be open until Nov. 7--many other exhibits to see, also.
http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com/

About 45 minutes from downtown you might enjoy the Chattahoochee Nature Center--if you are visiting nextweekend there might be a special tour.
http://chattnaturecenter.org/

FWIW, another poster mentioned the Atlanta Zoo--efforts have been made to improve the zoo. Many people are fascinated by the pandas. The zoo is located near Grant Park --one of the intown neighborhoods---home to the painting of the Cyclorama.
In this area you might enjoy BBQ and jazz at 6 Feet Under---so named because it is located near the Oakland Cemetery.
http://www.oaklandcemetery.com/

Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 PM

7 posts, read 42,511 times
Thanks for quick response...

Old 10-26-2010, 09:11 PM

237 posts, read 457,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitpossible View Post

- Which areas to avoid for staying in Atlanta? anything that is not on or within walking distance of the marta line, i also suggest midtown or buckhead. I would try to avoid hotels right downtown because not only will you be paying for the hotel room, the prices vary for parking there as well.
- Is it feasible to use car to visit downtown Atlanta? if u are like me, you will get very frustrated with traffic, etc. Use the Marta or walk when downtown. you will be able to see more sights that way also.
- Other areas nearby Atlanta which are worth visiting!!! I also 2nd the Piedmont Park suggestion, it is amazingly beautiful. Lil 5 points is also a scenic area with some good eating at the Vortex or Savage Pizza. Stone Mountain is awesome and walking thru midtown or buckhead is a blast.
- Best spot to take good downtown skyline photographs in day/night time. I think once you get there you will realize that there are several places to get good skyline pics. I used to take quite a few pics when I was there, I would take some from a far like inPiedmont Park, a cousins apt in Midtown and I have even had a friend drive North and South on 75 thru downtown to get some good "Big City Bright Lights" pics.
- Things which I should watch out for!!! When I lived there, just as I was advised and when I had company come in town my first piece of advice, try not to seem like a tourist, I know that is a lil cliche but, in certain areas u can stand out like a sore thumb and if you are, for example, downtown, there are a lot of bums that know what to look for.
Overall, I would just do a little more research, if you have a car, you would be surprised at how much there is to see and do. You can pretty much tell what type of neighborhood you are in depending on the scenery.
You could get a hotel just South of the city in Morrow or about 25-30 minutes North in Kennesaw. Atlanta is a very huge place. You will also realize that when you get there. Good Luck and Have a Blast!!

Old 10-27-2010, 06:14 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
I think it all depends on your interests. If you are a Gone With the Wind fan, try Margaret Mitchell house in midtown. If Civil War is your thing, then the Cyclorama, Oakwood Cemetary, Kennesaw Mountain, the list goes on and on.

I also highly recommend a drive to Roswell to tour the three historic homes, shop along Canton Street or just enjoy one of the many restaurants. Stop at the visitors' center for details.
Lots and lots of outdoor activities ranging from golf to hiking to kayaking on the Chattahootchee.

The view of downtown is really nice from the Botanical Garden. You can cruise through Piedmont Park from there. An easy walk from midtown.

I have lived here for six months, and have enjoyed touring the area. There really is a lot to do and see.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:39 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,436,974 times
I don't think anyone's mentioned the CNN center yet. They do studio tours. You may have to contact them for reservations to get in. I'm not sure about the cost. It's also right next to Centennial Park and the Aquarium and World of Coke.

A cheap thrill I like to take visitors to is the view at Westin Hotel Downtown. Here you take a 70 floor ride up a scenic high speed elevator to a revolving restaurant at top which has telescopes to view the entire city from. It's only $5. One of the few enjoyable things you can do in Atlanta for almost free. The scenic elevator was closed for repairs after a tornado damaged the building but I think it's back open now. You might want to call them to make sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta