Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2010, 05:41 AM

17 posts, read 64,965 times

Advertisements

I plan on starting my MBA in fall 2011. I'm thinking about doing the Georgia Web MBA. It is the same exact program but through different schools.

I realize none of the schools are 1st tier MBA programs. The choices are Columbus State, Georgia Southern, University of West Georgia, Kennesaw State, Valdosta State, and Georgia College and State University. Which would you say looks best on a resume and/or has the best reputation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,349,018 times
Of those, the best is probably KSU. If you're spending 20k for tuition, you might as well physically attend b/c to be honest any MBA curriculum isn't rocket science. A big chunk of the value of a program is the networking, the on campus recruiting, and interactions w/ professors. I haven't called in any favors yet myself but I have been able to help classmates land jobs by hooking them up w/ other classmates that have open jobs or internal postings.

I would look into on campus programs at Georgia State or KSU. Their requirements aren't ridiculously high and they are cost comparative given far more immersive experience. Both are going to look fine on your resume (albeit only regionally) although an MBA doesn't guarantee anything these days.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:02 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplegold View Post
I plan on starting my MBA in fall 2011. I'm thinking about doing the Georgia Web MBA. It is the same exact program but through different schools.

I realize none of the schools are 1st tier MBA programs. The choices are Columbus State, Georgia Southern, University of West Georgia, Kennesaw State, Valdosta State, and Georgia College and State University. Which would you say looks best on a resume and/or has the best reputation?

DOLLAR-wise, the University of West Georgia must be in the running.

Creflo DOLLAR has done quite well with his University of West Georgia degree. Quite well! Quite well! Quite well!

I assume the University of West Georgia has great Avoid Income Tax Programs.

Seriously though, you probably should talk to a guidance counselor and to a number of other people, too.

The employment landscape has changed so dramatically in the past couple of years, you should investigate everything before putting your heart and soul into a graduate degree program.

Everything has a risk, but make sure there's a favorable chance of landing a job after you graduate. And that's probably somewhat dependent on a high GPA and active involvement in college clubs and organizations.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:15 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,088 times
I would seriously reconsider if I were you. Most legit companies hiring for decent jobs will likely totally disregard a web-based MBA or, even worse, discount you based on it. In general, unless you have a totally non-business undergrad and are looking to obtain a base of business classes for a career change to a business discipline, an MBA is sort of pointless unless you are going to go 1st or 2nd tier. If you absolutely cannot physically attend MBA classes and must do web based, I would still not bother with any of those selections, they simply just don't carry enough clout. I am speaking from the perspective of a former executive recruiter and person who knows many in academia who are presently tenured MBA profs who share this same viewpoint (many of which actually teach web-based classes for extra money!)

Old 10-29-2010, 08:24 PM

163 posts, read 306,821 times
I don't know to what extent you have researched various MBA programs though I can say with a some confidence that the MBA is truly one of those degrees that is only as good as the school from which you obtained it. Put another way - there are many who feel that unless you are going to a ranked MBA program you are wasting your money. I mostly agree with this statement BUT there are always exceptions. For example if you know you are going to remain in GA then GSU's program is fine as graduates of that program are highly employable in this region. UGA's MBA has some interesting courses for those seeking business opportunities in the music and entertainment field. Of course Emory's Goizueta program is internationally known but the tuition is reflective of a private school. Still its a great name and the degree will be respected around the globe. Be careful though - even Emory MBA grads are beating the street for work and its not like it was with guaranteed 6 figures, bonus, and attractive stock options straight out of school. Have a plan before you commit time and money. Its not like it used to be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta