U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 AM

423 posts, read 843,042 times
Question Lakeside HS versus Druid Hills HS

Anyone have an opinion about which Dekalb County high school is stronger academically, Lakeside or Druid Hills? We are househunting in the area and need some guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM

3,504 posts, read 7,225,240 times
How old are your children?

If you have read any of my old posts, I strongly feel that DeKalb is not the strongest school system in Metro ATlanta.

If your kids are ready for high school, either should be fine. Are they smart kids who will take mostly AP or advanced classes?

Lakeside is a real mess right now-- lots of issues, some real, some imagined. They are getting a new principal but she will enter under a cloud as many parents supported the old one (I didn't) Racial issues got so bad at Lakeside that by the end of the year, minority parents had formed their own parents' association.

In DeKalb, to get a solid education your kid has to be at the top of the heap.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Our kids aren't near high school age yet. But we don't want to move again before they are HS age. Of course that is like reading tea leaves, who knows what either school will be like in 5-6 years. I have heard snippets about problems at Lakeside. Do you know any details? Is this something that will settle down over time? Or more the tip of an iceberg?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 AM

And re: Dekalb. We need to keep commutes to downtown and Buckhead reasonable, want to stay ITP, and can't afford a large enough house zoned to a strong elementary school that feeds into Grady. We are looking at city of Decatur also though.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:13 AM

401 posts, read 1,158,766 times
If I had to choose between Lakeside or Druid Hills I believe that I would choose Lakeside, but I had not heard of the racial issues. Also, you really need to take a good look at the middle schools that feed into those schools. There is a new middle school and there was some redistricting and NCLB transfers so there have been some changes in those schools. I believe that the middle schools that you would look at are Henderson Mill or Shamrock (???). I know Shamrock has had a time in recent years with a big influx of NCLB transfers that came on rather suddenly. I don't know how they have adjusted to the additional kids at this point. Oak Grove, Sagamore and Fernbank are some of the really good elementary schools that feed these high schools.

We live in the City of Decatur, have kids in the elementary schools there and are very happy with it. I would definitely give it a look.

Anyway, you can find a lot more house for the money in Decatur than in Candler Park Inman Park or Lake Claire, particularly in Oakhurst or Lenox Park.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Have your kids even started school yet? Or are they preschoolers... if so, buy your house based on elementary school -- projecting the high school is like reading tea leaves, if you are talking 8-10 years till you get there.

I expect that public education will look very different by then!

Briarlake, Oak Grove, Sagamore and Fernbank are all ok.

If it was me, I might find a way to make Decatur City schools work.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:03 AM

We have young kids, so definitely choosing a home on elementary school first. But always thinking ahead, as risky as that is.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:54 AM

I would try real hard to get into the City of Decatur if I could at all make it work. The DeKalb school system keeps consistently making bad decisions and with this proposed mini-city development on N. Druid Hills that includes the selling of school facilities but an increase of about 3000 units of housing, you can expect negative consequences on the local schools. At a certain point, even the good schools suffer.

If you really can't afford Decatur -- I would stick with either Fernbank, Oak Grove, Briarlake or Sagamore.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 4,225 times
Unhappy Not happy with DeKalb schools at all

We moved here five years ago, specifically for Lakeside High School. We have two sons and I have a M.Ed. We were extremely disappointed in the DeKalb school system. Lakeside is a mess-poor leadership (we'll see what happens with the new principal), and lots of racial tension, as well as other issues. I am an elementary school teacher and taught for five years in DeKalb (Henderson Mill, Oak Grove, and Hawthorne). I am currently home schooling because I was so fed up with the poor leadership within the county. While teaching I heard an interesting statistic: 75% of the leadership in DeKalb County schools have 3 years of experience or less in administration! That's shocking. We moved from out of state and have been extremely disappointed in the public schools. I would recommend private schools over public. Hope this helps.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:35 PM

63breeze

DeKalb is a mess and I always point that out on this forum. The problems at Lakeside are unbelievable but the parent population isn't helping the situation, nor are the alumni and their parents.

DeKalb, in my opinion, has progress to a typical urban school system, one that values the central office employees over every other consituent including students. It is a very sad situation especially for the large number of poor, minority students who are being failed by the poor leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta