U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:00 AM

426 posts, read 1,238,348 times

Advertisements

Actually Toomer is doing better with their curriculum than in recent years. They are only using DI (Direct Instruction) for reading and I believe that will eventually be phased out. They use Core Knowledge for all of the other subjects. Morningside and Mary Lin Elementary schools both use Core Knowledge. Toomer is also instituting daily Mandarin instruction next year. It will be the only APS elementary school to offer it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 07:14 PM

36 posts, read 130,313 times
Decatur, Oakhurst, EastLake and Kirkwood are all great neighborhoods. My family and I live in Kirkwood and love it, so I am partial to K'wood. My daughter attends private school in Decatur and my son will when he starts school. Being that you are considering private school, any of the neighborhoods should suit you fine. You housing dollar will go a bit farther in Kirkwood than in Decatur and Oakhurst. Also, the city of Decatur has higher property taxes than Atlanta does but Decatur has better city services.
Feel free to email me if you want any more details, Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
Default Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide

Here's a great source for info on Intown Atlanta neighborhoods:
[url=http://intownatlantaneighborhoods.info/]Intown Atlanta Neighborhood Guide[/url]

(I have no idea why this URL won't post as a link)

Old 01-06-2008, 07:39 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,244,590 times
Actually, from what I hear from people with kids there Eastlake is doing very well. And Toomer is getting better by the day.

To the OP, you soooo remind me of my parents. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school for the Catholic training part....I am now a Deist married to an Atheist (also raised Catholic) but that is neither here nor there because all 4 of my siblings are still very Catholic. I have a great fondness for Catholics. Georgia is a very Southern Baptist state (what the hell's wrong with these people who won't drink? I don't trust people who don't drink... ) but you will find no discomfort with being Catholic in Atlanta, or for being Deist/Atheist, either! Hey, where I come from (south Louisiana, Catholic Haven, USA, they don't say, "Are you Catholic?". They say, "Are you a Catholic?". Only it comes out "Are you a Catlick?".

STM is an option and there is also St Pius (don't know if it's got K-12 or just high school). St Pius is really really popular, even with non-Catholics.

I definitely second Winnona Park and Oakhurst. You should be able to find soemthing that meets most of your requirements there.

Kirkwood is somewhat transitional. Some areas are nicer than others. Your budget will buy you something outstanding there, though. I'd stick to the areas closer to Dekalb Ave and Moreland near the Edgewood Shopping Center. That neighborhood is going to be very nice pretty fast so you'll get your money's worth.

Welcome to Atlanta!

PS. If my posts seem kooky please forgive. I took all my Winter Solstice (aka Christmas) decorations down and felt a little sad so I've had a couple cocktails....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or