U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:05 AM

455 posts, read 968,516 times

Advertisements

St. Marlo CC
Laurel Springs
Edinburgh
Bears Best Estates

I'm looking for information on:

neighborhood
Schools
Pricing for memberships or to play golf
good location to work in Doraville?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 11:53 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
Bears Best Estates

Is this really the name of a golf/country club community???

Old 10-27-2010, 12:00 PM

Default well, that was what was listed on the community on the listing

the realtor sent me. When I google it, it seems like it might be Edinburgh Bears Best Estates? Not sure!

Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Default I meant Duluth not Doraville...sorry

nt

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 AM

11,897 posts, read 45,835,682 times
A lot of cussin' and discussion has taken place here at C-D about golf club communities-

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=24926282

I even built in a few myself.
I assume you're trying to hold your search to the Duluth area.(?) But, what is your budget? Some golf course communities can be had at reasonable prices and others are at a million+.

Off the top of my head, the communities I can think of around Duluth are-
St. Ives (Fulton Co)
CCOS (Fulton Co)
St. Marlo (Forsyth Co)
Sugarloaf (Gwinnett Co)
Edinburough/Bear's Best (Gwinnett Co)
River Club (Gwinnett Co)
Old Atlanta Club (Forsyth Co)
Laurel Springs (Forsyth Co)
Willow Springs/Roswell Country Club (Fulton Co)
Windermere (Forsyth Co)

Old 10-28-2010, 09:56 AM

1,120 posts, read 2,226,637 times
Quote:
St. Marlo CC
Laurel Springs
Edinburgh
Bears Best Estates

I'm looking for information on:

neighborhood
Schools
Pricing for memberships or to play golf
good location to work in Doraville?

Thank you!!

One thing about Laurel Springs appears to be a possible negative. I don't know if this apparently negative aspect has been addressed since I was last up there.

Laurel Springs appears to be not that secure.

The grand entrance is very impressive-looking with a nice guard house with 24-hour guards. Very nice!

However there's side street to the left of the grand entrance and I've driven down that road. On that road there's a small entrance or exit to the subdivision. There was a small security gate that goes up and down, but the entrance was open in the middle of the day.

It looked like to me a person could walk around that small entrance gate and you're in Laurel Springs. There was all kinds of open air around it. A person couldn't drive their car in, but you could gain entrance by just walking in. I was only on that road once, but that's how I assessed that particular entrance.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:17 PM

Default Hi to you both and thanks for responding, our budget

is about max $625,000 and we want a newer home (2000 and up). I did look at a few that you are talking about and St. Marlo is a public course and my husband seems not to be too interested in that one.

As for security, is there a reason that it is a problem that someone could walk right into the subdivision? I am starting to get real nervous about all of these crime threads and home invasions I've been reading about on here. Do I need to worry about that more than I would anywhere else in an upper middle class area? If I didn't live in a secure neighborhood like Laurel Springs (and like I do now), any car or person would be driving or walking around at any time. Is there horrible neighborhoods right around Laurel Springs that I need to be concerned with? Yikes!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
is about max $625,000 and we want a newer home (2000 and up). I did look at a few that you are talking about and St. Marlo is a public course and my husband seems not to be too interested in that one.

As for security, is there a reason that it is a problem that someone could walk right into the subdivision? I am starting to get real nervous about all of these crime threads and home invasions I've been reading about on here. Do I need to worry about that more than I would anywhere else in an upper middle class area? If I didn't live in a secure neighborhood like Laurel Springs (and like I do now), any car or person would be driving or walking around at any time. Is there horrible neighborhoods right around Laurel Springs that I need to be concerned with? Yikes!

As far as I know Laurel Springs is advertised as an upscale gated country club community. At the front entrance there is a very impressive gate house which is manned by guards.

As some people here have previously said about gated communities, 24-hour guards stationed at the various entrances to a community are about the only real deterent to someone seeking access to your community.

A simple electronic gate is not going to be much of a deterent to some criminals. That's what I saw on this side street. All kinds of open air were around this simple up-and-down 8x3 foot gate. No guards were stationed at this entrance or exit.

I think the Country Club of the South, St. Ives, and St. Marlo all have manned 24-hour guards at every entrance to their upscale country club communities.

Atlanta, like many large cities, has its share of crime. Atlanta is a wonderful, beautiful city but there is some crime here.

We do live in America. This isn't Canada and it's not Japan. Aren't there more guns than people in this country?

I've lived here 20 years and I've never been a victim of crime. I once lived in a city of 150,000 people and I was brutally assualted.

My deceased father was assaulted in Las Vegas when he was 71-years-old.

FOR ANYONE COMTEMPLATING BUYING A HOUSE HERE, PLEASE LOOK AT THE SUNDAY OCTOBER 10TH ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION.

There was a great article about the changing demographics not only in Atlanta but in the country.

Apparently Atlanta should will fare better than many cities but there are still big question marks as to EXIT OF BABY BOOMERS SELLING THEIR HOMES AND SELLING THEIR HOMES AT BIG PRICES.

For decades people have bought a house and have used it as a way to increase their net worth. Those days may be gone for some time.

Buying a house today is not a sure thing.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:09 PM

Default AJC date correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
As far as I know Laurel Springs is advertised as an upscale gated country club community. At the front entrance there is a very impressive gate house which is manned by guards.

As some people here have previously said about gated communities, 24-hour guards stationed at the various entrances to a community are about the only real deterent to someone seeking access to your community.

A simple electronic gate is not going to be much of a deterent to some criminals. That's what I saw on this side street. All kinds of open air were around this simple up-and-down 8x3 foot gate. No guards were stationed at this entrance or exit.

I think the Country Club of the South, St. Ives, and St. Marlo all have manned 24-hour guards at every entrance to their upscale country club communities.

Atlanta, like many large cities, has its share of crime. Atlanta is a wonderful, beautiful city but there is some crime here.

We do live in America. This isn't Canada and it's not Japan. Aren't there more guns than people in this country?

I've lived here 20 years and I've never been a victim of crime. I once lived in a city of 150,000 people and I was brutally assualted.

My deceased father was assaulted in Las Vegas when he was 71-years-old.

FOR ANYONE COMTEMPLATING BUYING A HOUSE HERE, PLEASE LOOK AT THE SUNDAY OCTOBER 10TH ATLANTA JOURNAL-CONSTITUTION.

There was a great article about the changing demographics not only in Atlanta but in the country.

Apparently Atlanta should will fare better than many cities but there are still big question marks as to EXIT OF BABY BOOMERS SELLING THEIR HOMES AND SELLING THEIR HOMES AT BIG PRICES.

For decades people have bought a house and have used it as a way to increase their net worth. Those days may be gone for some time.

Buying a house today is not a sure thing.

CORRECTION:

The date of the AJC housing demographics article is October 12, 2010.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM

734 posts, read 1,776,225 times
Here is the article referenced by Zel Ya:

Housing future troubled; Demographics pose problem for Atlanta. *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta