Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:29 AM

57 posts, read 262,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittabake View Post
My husband and I currently live in Tampa, FL with our 2 year old daughter. We are considering relocating to the Atlanta area when he finishes his residency in December. Neither one of us wants to live in the "big city" but most of my family is in Ohio so I want to have access to a major airport. He's from Augusta, GA and he'd like to get back close to "home" but for several reasons, I don't want to live in Augusta. He would like to live in the country where as I am more attached to the sort of things I've gotten used to in Tampa like the zoo, activities for kids, symphony, shopping, festivals, etc. We both love to get outside and hike in the woods. I'd like more of a small town feel with access to the bigger city. I'd love to be able to go to the grocery store without fighting endless traffic. We hope to send out daughter to a private school when she's old enough. We don't want to live in a planned community with homeowners assocations dictating what we can plant or what color the house has to be. Low crime is very important...is that even a possibility around Atlanta? Living in Tampa I'm frustrated with the traffic so I'm wondering if the Atlanta area is a lost cause just based on that? He doesn't have a job offer at this point so I'm trying to find information on areas where he could start job hunting that wouldn't require a long commute. He will be an anesthesiologist and I don't know much about the jobs around Atlanta though there are plenty of listings.
I envision a nice established neighborhood with big trees, kids riding bikes, crickets at night, birds and hopefully no one giving me a hard time for being a "yankee"! Does anyone think any of this sounds realistic?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
We just moved to a place outside of Douglasville, which is western Atlanta metro. So far, so good. People are very friendly and we live in a community with plenty of families and children called Mirror Lake. As a point of interest, I'm an anesthesiologist and work at a medical center that services northwestern GA and northeastern AL. There are indeed plenty of jobs for anesthesiologists in GA and groups here are generous

Best of luck,
PMMD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 4,690 times
I suggest Douglasville, GA - Great small town but still close enough to Atlanta to take advantange of the big town

Old 04-30-2008, 08:23 AM

8 posts, read 17,324 times
Default Looking to relocate, HELP!!

I am a wife and mother to 4 small children. My husband is in Accounting/finance and is wanting to relocate to the Savannah or Atlanta area. We currenty live in a very small town in Southern VA, I have been here all my life and I love the feel of a small town. He wants to work in the city, however, I do NOT want to live in the city. I am a nurse and would love to work close to home (for a private practice, family doctor or pediatrician). I am looking for a great area to raise kids, good schools, low crime rate. Can anyone please give me some ideas on where to start? Anything would help!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,749,946 times
Powder Springs is relatively close to Atlanta and has a small town feel. It's also close to Cobb Hospital on the East/West connector and not too far from Kennestone Hospital in Marietta. It itself isn't a planned community and you can buy houses there in areas without homeowners associations closer to the center. It's also not too far from the Silver Comet bicycle trail.

Like someone else mentioned, I'd find the job and then pick the area based on it. You'll find areas like you mentioned all over the outer metro.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 AM

612 posts, read 2,772,177 times
My husband, daughter and I moved from Tampa and live in the 30039 zip code in Snellville (east metro). We love it here!

We used to live in Temple Terrace.

Old 05-01-2008, 05:40 PM

313 posts, read 1,145,206 times
My cousin is an anesthesiologist and he lives up in Ballground GA (north of Atlanta) near hwy 20....he is like contracted out to different centers and goes to different places in the region. I havent spoken to his wife to get the lowdown on family living out there...but it is more rural than the burbs.

What about Birmingham? They have an airport and it isnt as big as Atlanta. Just a thought. Or what about Tennessee...like Memphis or Nashville? all are smaller towns...and maybe not so much congestion as atlanta.

You will get burb congestion anywhere you live outside Atlanta. I lived up in Cumming before it exploded with growth...like right at the beginning of all the new walmart and that whole shopping entity off of exit14 ...and it was STILL congested because the infrastructure could support the continually growing population. It will be that way everywhere.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,749,946 times
I'd check out Powder Springs, Dallas, Cartersville, Canton, Acworth, Woodstock and Cumming on the North side. Of these, Powder Springs has the best commute and is closest to the airport.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:03 AM

263 posts, read 794,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittabake View Post
and hopefully no one giving me a hard time for being a "yankee"!
THAT you will NOT be called! You won't find many people that are originally from the area, most of my neighbors now are from the North!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,872,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalieCat View Post
You won't find many people that are originally from the area, most of my neighbors now are from the North!
CalieCat's location is given as "North Georgia" ... I suspect this phenomenon may vary depending on the town. Late yesterday afternoon my husband and I took a drive (to try out a new GPS) up to Canton, where we'd never been before. We stopped for an ice cream at a Dairy Queen and both of us were struck by how ... rural ... all the other customers in line appeared, in regard to attire, accents, and content of conversation. When we got back into the car we agreed that "wow, it's not the Atlanta suburbs here!" despite the fact that we really weren't very many miles from home.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:17 AM

263 posts, read 794,725 times
Rainy, are you talking about the Dairy Queen on Marietta Hwy in Canton?? That little one just beside the road?? YEAH, a lot of Canton on up is very rural!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta