Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,517,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Trees
Dense Urban Forest
Tree Canopy
City in a Forest
City of Trees
Rolling, Lush Green Hills
boooorrrrrrrrriiiiinnnnnnnnggggggg

Every city has trees. People act like Atlanta is in the Amazon rain forest or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,310,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Every city has trees. People act like Atlanta is in the Amazon rain forest or something.
You obviously are either VERY biased, or not too well traveled if you honestly think that most major cities in our tier offer this fantastic feature.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:58 PM

16,647 posts, read 29,360,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
What an absolutely fantastic, forward thinking idea! I LOVE this proposal.

aries4118 for our first Consolidated Metro Mayor!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You obviously are either VERY biased, or not too well traveled if you honestly think that most major cities in our tier offer this fantastic feature.
I haven't been to every other city in America but I've been in enough to know that trees are pretty much

zZZzzzzzZZzzZz zzzZZZZzzzzzZZZzZ

Plenty of cities have plenty of trees. If I was a beaver I might could get excited about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Atlanta is major world international city. It is the de-facto Capital of the American South--a major world region that functions somewhat like a semi-autonomous country.

Now, if you travel around the world (and U.S.), you will soon realize that there is really no major international city in the world that can compare to Atlanta when it comes to trees, urban forestry, and tree canopy. A virtual emerald city set within a beautiful subtropical forest.

This is our defining feature. This is what makes Atlanta very unique.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:09 PM

32 posts, read 77,722 times
It only has that distinction because Atlanta is not built like most cities: the low density, spread out nature of the area makes it hard not to have trees. So we can thank sprawl for our defining feature. Whoopee.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 AM

Case #1
Quote:
I haven't been to every other city in America but I've been in enough to know that trees are pretty much

zZZzzzzzZZzzZz zzzZZZZzzzzzZZZzZ

Plenty of cities have plenty of trees. If I was a beaver I might could get excited about it.

Case #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by americancoffee View Post
It only has that distinction because Atlanta is not built like most cities: the low density, spread out nature of the area makes it hard not to have trees. So we can thank sprawl for our defining feature. Whoopee.

Above are total examples of anti-Atlanta bias that is oh-so-prevalent on C-D.

Case #1 is basically saying Atlanta is not unique because every city has trees.

But then in Case #2, a poster basically acknowledges that Atlanta is unique because of its tree cover/urban forestry, but then goes on to state that it is only because of sprawl/low-density/being "spread out."

Well, which is it?

Old 11-05-2010, 09:25 AM

There's no contradiction there.

So...
Just because I find the fact that Atlanta has a lot of trees boring and nothing to get excited about that means it's because of anti-Atlanta bias? Really?

I can think of a hundred things about Atlanta to gripe about before I get to trees. I was exaggerating but since you want to get all defensive about it...

And AC's right. The city's growth pattern has kept a lot of tree canopy in place where it otherwise would have been destroyed. The commercial areas away from Peachtree, Ponce, and Piedmont are generally very spread out, relatively small, and surrounded by large residential tracts. Of course you are going to have a lot of trees in a climate like this when the city is laid out in that way.

And honestly, I think downtown, midtown, and buckhead aren't any different from any other major city's cbd's. Aside from a few streets lined with trees, they are just as barren as most other similar areas.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:51 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
I think it's hysterical when the anti-tree coalition rears its' head.

Old 11-05-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
... Of course you are going to have a lot of trees in a climate like this...
And this is one of the main points for Atlanta's uniqueness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta