Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,727,865 times

Advertisements

Im cool right now.We will see how much the growth in this State and how its policies will effect the people that are not represented in those positions over the next 4 years.I just see a lot of negative right now.To be fair I hope things will be positive but I see things are about to get really ugly.Its gonna take just that to get people motivated that should not have allowed this to happen in the first place.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:47 AM

642 posts, read 2,212,843 times
It's amazing to me that the lower a state falls on the economic rankings of it's citizens the mnore it tends to vote Republican. The party that has never exactly been known as the champion of the working class. or working poor if you will.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:15 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,699,857 times
A Casey Cagle update: GOP Senate caucus split | Political Insider

Let the fun begin!

Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,130,902 times
Funny, I was going to post quotes and excerpts from the 2008 threads where everyone was prognosticating that Virginia, North Carolina, and even Georgia had suddenly turned blue. My response was that exactly what happened would happen...Obama and the Dems would overreach, minority voters who came out for that one election because of Obama would not show up, and a majority would show their anger at the polls and vote out the Dems in 2010.

Looks like it went exactly as I knew it would. Don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

The North Carolina Legislature went GOP for the first time since Reconstruction. Same in Alabama. The GOP swept the statewide races here in GA. Most of the so-called Blue Dog Dems were voted out of their congressional seats. Only in places like my old state of MA and in CA do they keep voting back the same old big gov't retreads.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:04 PM

906 posts, read 1,740,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Funny, I was going to post quotes and excerpts from the 2008 threads where everyone was prognosticating that Virginia, North Carolina, and even Georgia had suddenly turned blue. My response was that exactly what happened would happen...Obama and the Dems would overreach, minority voters who came out for that one election because of Obama would not show up, and a majority would show their anger at the polls and vote out the Dems in 2010.

Looks like it went exactly as I knew it would. Don't need a weatherman to see which way the wind blows.

The North Carolina Legislature went GOP for the first time since Reconstruction. Same in Alabama. The GOP swept the statewide races here in GA. Most of the so-called Blue Dog Dems were voted out of their congressional seats. Only in places like my old state of MA and in CA do they keep voting back the same old big gov't retreads.
You can't really compare 2008 to 2010 because the electorate is different. There is *always* a benefit for conservatives in non-Presidential years, as young and minority voters (much of the Democratic base) tend not to show up for mid-terms. That's on top of the general trend of "voting against a party in power in all branches of government" and 10% unemployment (which = vote against party in power). Obama could have literally walked on water and still faced a similar electoral result in 2010. It's hard to know if it's about "overreaching," though I do agree with you that it was likely a part of the equation.

The real comparison will be 2008 to 2012. If those voters show up again for Obama, Republicans across the country are going to be in a lot of trouble. But if they really are disenchanted with Obama/Democrats, then 2012 will likely mark a more visible political shift in the country.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:13 PM

642 posts, read 2,212,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Yep and I see the opposite happening just in time for 2012. The political pundits from both sides are already calling out the scenario.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:30 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,160,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
Yep and I see the opposite happening just in time for 2012. The political pundits from both sides are already calling out the scenario.
Is it just me or am I(and some of my family members) one of the few people I know who isn't scared of "big government"?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:48 PM

906 posts, read 1,740,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Is it just me or am I(and some of my family members) one of the few people I know who isn't scared of "big government"?
No, you're not. And people don't even know why they're "scared." Frankly, I'd bet half the people who voted in tea party candidates this cycle are fully unafraid of "big government," especially whenever they get their medicare payments, their social security checks, and their unemployment compensation. They're just completely disconnected from political reality. Part of that is laziness about self-informing. But it's also due to the effective anti-government rhetoric of Republican politicians, right wing radio, and Fox News type-outlets, who repeat unfounded claims about taxes and the government on a daily basis. People unrealistically think they can live in a tax-free universe where social services just magically happen and everyone has jobs.

And, to be fair, it's also due to the Democrats' inability to explain their achievements in any sensible way. "I voted for health care, but now I'm against it!" is just a losing position from the get-go. How about, "I voted for health care reform because I don't think children should go without care" or "Health care companies shouldn't be allowed to discriminate against cancer patients" or any other concrete thing 75% of the population actually agrees with.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,699,857 times
I would just like to say that I am in fact scared of big government, however what I am more scared of is an inefficient government that doesn't truly act in the best interests for the health, economic growth, and infrastructure that is needed to make this a truly great country! I don't consider that big government to begin with.

What I see is a bunch of middle age people that have are no longer concerned with economic growth and don't care about transportation growth as they are near retirement age. What they want now is just low as possible taxes, so they can take more cruises and whatnot. But, the problem with this philosophy is that it ignores that investments from their parents and grandparents generations gave them what they wanted and what they thought would make this society great.

They had a grand vision for our society and largely got it. Freeways and roadways that allowed people to move around easily and open up access to large portions of land. Everyone had easy access to having a large yard. They got what the set out to achieve 50-60 years ago, but they are failing to consider that the generations after them have great visions for our society different from theirs. We see a need for a society where you can get to work without being in traffic for 2 hours everyday. A need for urban renewal, multiple core job centers, expanded transit, and parks. We are no longer concerned with having the largest yard possible, so long as we live in a truly great neighborhood that can give us what we need. The problem I have with older republicans is they largely reject our vision, because it clashes with theirs. But this in fact ignores that we need to start investing today for us to ever have the same feeling they did, when they achieved their vision. I am sorry, but I feel like my parents generation is stealing that from me.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,286,438 times
Totally agree. The Babyboomer Generation have totally squandered the economic & social freedoms that were bequeathed unto them from the previous generations. How can I count the ways?

1. Allowed for the creation of NAFTA & other Free trade Agreements, which sold out America's industry to the third world

2. Allowed big business to push back against labor, unravelling long held labor rights like overtime pay & pensions

3. Allowing the Private Military Industrial Complex to run roughshod over the third world which may potentially bankrupt the U.S.A. & alienates the rest of the world

4. Allowed crop dumping which pushes economically ailing countries into near collapse and encourages illegal immigration to the U.S.

5. Still haven't settled the question of race; the Shirley Sherrod controversy is proof of that (You know that a society is sick when a person can twist a speech about how NOT to be racist into a racist speech and get away with it!!!)

Boy, ya gotta love the babyboomer folks...NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I would just like to say that I am in fact scared of big government, however what I am more scared of is an inefficient government that doesn't truly act in the best interests for the health, economic growth, and infrastructure that is needed to make this a truly great country! I don't consider that big government to begin with.

What I see is a bunch of middle age people that have are no longer concerned with economic growth and don't care about transportation growth as they are near retirement age. What they want now is just low as possible taxes, so they can take more cruises and whatnot. But, the problem with this philosophy is that it ignores that investments from their parents and grandparents generations gave them what they wanted and what they thought would make this society great.

They had a grand vision for our society and largely got it. Freeways and roadways that allowed people to move around easily and open up access to large portions of land. Everyone had easy access to having a large yard. They got what the set out to achieve 50-60 years ago, but they are failing to consider that the generations after them have great visions for our society different from theirs. We see a need for a society where you can get to work without being in traffic for 2 hours everyday. A need for urban renewal, multiple core job centers, expanded transit, and parks. We are no longer concerned with having the largest yard possible, so long as we live in a truly great neighborhood that can give us what we need. The problem I have with older republicans is they largely reject our vision, because it clashes with theirs. But this in fact ignores that we need to start investing today for us to ever have the same feeling they did, when they achieved their vision. I am sorry, but I feel like my parents generation is stealing that from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta