U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:53 PM

42 posts, read 127,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapla View Post
I guess I should've emphasised on how i said it. I've read that because of the hand gun law, the crime rate is nearly non-existent and it was in family circle top 10 places to move your family. I live in a heavily crime area, theres more than one murder every night. i have 2 young children, and I don't want them to grow up here anymore. (milwaukee wi)
Your murder rate statistics are hyperbole!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:12 AM

75 posts, read 208,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapla View Post
I guess I should've emphasised on how i said it. I've read that because of the hand gun law, the crime rate is nearly non-existent and it was in family circle top 10 places to move your family. I live in a heavily crime area, theres more than one murder every night. i have 2 young children, and I don't want them to grow up here anymore. (milwaukee wi)
I think this might be exaggerating a bit. In 2004, there were 121 murders in total in Milwaukee. That means at worst, there is one every 3 days. Unless every one of these is happening in your neighborhood, I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration!

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM

128 posts, read 243,872 times
DONT GET ME STARTED ON SHOPPING LOL... its AMAZING!!!

Old 07-27-2007, 11:06 PM

22 posts, read 73,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatty8 View Post
I think this might be exaggerating a bit. In 2004, there were 121 murders in total in Milwaukee. That means at worst, there is one every 3 days. Unless every one of these is happening in your neighborhood, I think this might be a bit of an exaggeration!

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
and most of this happens in the summer, milwaukee is up on the top as heavy murder rate. i don't feel comfortable having my children grow up here. wow people........... live here for a few summers and see what it's like.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 07-28-2007, 01:40 AM

77 posts, read 292,339 times
Good Post, but I'm gonna add a few things from a police officer's point of view. I'm deleting a lot and adding my stuff in red. If I want to expand, I'm leaving it in there and adding on afterwards. I hope I'm not too politically incorrect for you, though someone will problem complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post

Anyway:

Marietta - You can either buy the $200k+ home or the >$100k home within the city limits, there's really no in between. The Police department is above average and becoming excellent with their new chief. A lot of people that live within the city limits are Hispanic, especially a lot of the apartment complexes.Marietta is served by a variety of high schools: within city limits Marietta High School (average); just outside city limits - Sprayberry (good), Wheeler (decent), Kennesaw Mountain (good), Osborne (terrible), Hillgrove (Good), Campbell (bad). Hillgrove is a brand new school and had to ship minority kids into the school to meet their percentage requirements. They shipped in the trouble makers of Osborne (about 200 of them) and expelled almost every single one. Hillgrove is one of the "least diverse" schools int he county.

Kennesaw - Decent area, however it has a lot of rental homes. With rental homes comes lower income people, with lower income people there comes an increase of crime...sorry its a fact of life. The PD is decent, nothing exceptional and nothing terrible.

Acworth - Acworth's nickname among law enforcement is "Crackworth".....there's a reason for that. However, they have a good police department that does a good job at trying to combat their problems.

West Cobb - Very nice area. I grew up in the eastern part of West Cobb and I have family in the heart of it too. The only downfall is that its becoming a lot like East Cobb with their drug problems (see below). However, its THE lowest calls for service areas in Cobb County. Which means nothing usually happens, yet if something does, there's generally less officers patrolling the area.

Powder Springs - Old, small town feel city. There's a close knit community within Powder Town. I don't know how it is now, but Powder Springs used to revolve around McEachern High School....however that seems to have lessened over the last few years with the decline in the actual school itself. Good PD with an average amount of crime.Served by Hillgrove (new), McEachern (average), Osborne (terrible), and South Cobb (terrible) high schools. McEachern used to be THE school to go to within Cobb County. They have a $1 million+ trust fund, a great performing arts theater, and the largest football stadium in Cobb County. However, with the influx of lower income families, the higher income families have moved or sent their kids to Hillgrove. To be politically incorrect, all the rich white people moved and left all the poor white, black, and hispanic people. Osborne is kinda far from Powder Springs, but I'll reiterate the terrible by making it red....plus that's their school colors :P.

Austell - Don't live here. Poor city police department (there are good guys there, but there are a lot of not so good guys). The closer you move to Six Flags, the worse it gets. Again, don't live here.Pepplebrook and South Cobb.

Mableton - Don't live here either. Mabelton and Austell are basically the same...though Mabelton has more white trash.

Vinings - Nice area if you can afford to live here...most people can't. Lets put it this way, the town homes in the area usually don't go for less than $200k.

Smyrna - Not a terrible place to live if you do your research. There is a HUGE Hispanic population within the city limits of Smyrna. There are a lot of apartment complexes and trailer parks, as well as older homes too. However, there are a lot of very nice older homes and a lot of nice new homes being built within the city limits.Served by Campbell High school (decent), South Cobb (terrible), and Osborne (terrible). Campbell gets a bad rap and its nowhere near as bad as Osborne, Pebblebrook, or South Cobb. Campbell is home to the IB program....I don't know what it stands for, but its a program for the most intelligent kids in the county. They begin to take AP classes their junior year. I had two friends who went through this process and if you succeed, you're almost guaranteed a spot in a good college.

Cumberland - I don't count this as a residential community....though there are a lot of apartments around Cumberland Mall. Most people count this area Vinings or Smyrna.

East Cobb - I believe that the original poster lives in East Cobb. If you can afford to live there, its a great place to live. Its hard to find a home under $300k. The biggest problem in East Cobb are the snobby kids and hard drug use. There are more drugs in East Cobb than there are in Austell or Mabelton. Rich kids can afford better drugs. Sure you have the weed smokers, but there's a LOT of kids that use Meth, Ecstasy, and abuse prescription meds (that they usually steal from their parents). Alcohol abuse is also a big problem as well as teen drunk driving. I know more about this area than any other of the county because I worked here for 2 1/2 years and saw things that a lot of parents ignore.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,926,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzz View Post
Good Post, but I'm gonna add a few things from a police officer's point of view. I'm deleting a lot and adding my stuff in red. If I want to expand, I'm leaving it in there and adding on afterwards. I hope I'm not too politically incorrect for you, though someone will problem complain.
"Mableton" covers a pretty large area, dude. What's wrong with the stretch along the E/W Connector? We've not had any problems that I've been aware of in the two years we've lived here (Cooper Lake and Civitania), and our neighbors tell us there hasn't been an issue in multiple decades.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
"Mableton" covers a pretty large area, dude. What's wrong with the stretch along the E/W Connector? We've not had any problems that I've been aware of in the two years we've lived here (Cooper Lake and Civitania), and our neighbors tell us there hasn't been an issue in multiple decades.
There are little spots in Mabelton that aren't too bad, but Mabelton as a whole isn't that great. Are you talking about Cooper Lake towards Smyrna or Cooper Lake towards VMH? Cooper Lake towards Smyrna is nice, though I thought that had a Smyrna address, not Mabelton. Cooper Lake towards VMH starts to go downhill.

Also, trust me, stuff happens everywhere in the county....some places just more than others.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,926,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuzz View Post
There are little spots in Mabelton that aren't too bad, but Mabelton as a whole isn't that great. Are you talking about Cooper Lake towards Smyrna or Cooper Lake towards VMH?
I'm talking about the top half of Cooper Lake between E/W Connector and VMH. Just below Vinings Estates. The lower half of Cooper Lake turns into smaller houses as it approaches VMH and doesn't seem so nice, at least to me, and of course it's industrial along VMH so I suspect that's a rougher area.

The area along Nickajack Road has also struck me as pretty nice, but I've not really spent much time there.

Quote:
Cooper Lake towards Smyrna is nice, though I thought that had a Smyrna address, not Mabelton. Cooper Lake towards VMH starts to go downhill.
I think Smyrna annexed everything in the Vinings Estates subdivision, which includes the section north and east of Civitania.

Quote:
Also, trust me, stuff happens everywhere in the county....some places just more than others.
Yeah, I read the various PENS reports I get via e-mail, etc.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:21 PM

I was thinking of Cooper Lake near the Apartments down towards VMH. Like you said, it does get nicer the closer you get towards Smyrna.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:33 PM

61 posts, read 223,132 times
Im sure that this was all stated by others...but here is my perspective from Acworth. It is a very nice little town, not too crowed...somewhat rural. You still have all the grocery stores and restaurants close by, but you can be away from that quickly.
However, IMO...if you will need to commute anywhere further south than Marietta...please find somewhere closer to live! I work in the Cumberland area and I spend 2 hours of my day in the car getting to work. Luckily my husband works in the same building so we ride together, but every day is absolute misery. If you have a job that you have to be there at a specific time each day, dont bet on keeping it long unless you have an understanding and OTP living boss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or