U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Mableton borders the Chatahoochie river. It is directly adjacent to Fulton County, and to the City of Atlanta. Even the house I live in is only 4 miles OTP. It isn't that far away.

I personally don't presume to understand life ITP except in places like Vinings where I've spent a significant amount of time, but I find it interesting that you seem to assume we're a significant distance away when it clearly isn't so.

I merely commented on the rather interesting comparison of "neighborhoods" to "suburbs". If you have other issues with what I've said, please address them directly to me without the soapbox.
Atlanta City of has some very nice neighbourhoods but they are way too expensive for the working man to live in. That is why we live in Cobb County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:28 PM

230 posts, read 534,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes View Post
Don't rush to buy anywhere in any state. Rent in an apartment first and get a feel for the areas for at least a year before buying. Real estate agents are just looking to make a quick buck so they're not in your best interest. Does the past housing bubble ring a bell? Do your own due diligence and don't be in such a hurry you could regret it. I made that mistake myself.
We're not buying. We're looking to rent a house.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Just because we live somewhere else does not mean we don't know about bad areas. I reported to work in Kirkwood for over a decade (Chester Ave and Memorial Drive) and I know well what goes on around there because back then I was a telephone man and I went to homes in that area constantly to repair lines that were cut by burglars. Sometimes you would see where they broke up a whole house looking for stuff. Other times they would just steal the TV and run off. I once had a lady tell me that it was her 3rd time in a year. My guessing is that she paid at least $300,000 or more for that house. You can buy one out here in Cobb for 1/2 that and live safely.
We're not buying a house. We're just looking to rent. The areas outside of "the perimeter" seem a bit too rural for us. My BF works in film and I don't want him traveling for 2 hours to work every morning. Plus, we're coming from LA, we would like to live in an area that has coffee shops, restuarants, etc. close by.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkMachine View Post
We lived in Inman Park when we first moved to Atlanta, 8 years ago. We loved it! I would recommend Inman Park, Candler Park, Poncey Highlands, or Decatur. I like EAV and Grant Park, they are just not centrally located for the stuff I like to do. I would be pretty comfortable living in most parts of Grant Park, though. My daughter went to preschool there last year and it is a very vibrant and beautiful neighborhood.

I have lived in one of the "worst" neighborhoods and in some of the best. Break-ins and petty crime have happened in both places.
I've been researching Inman and Candler and they both sound like wonderful neighborhoods. Going to see if there's anything in our price range, seems like the prices are just as or even more expensive than Virginia Highland.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg24 View Post
I've lived in Grant Park for 3 years now and crime seemed to peak about 2 years ago around when the Standard shooting happened. There were all kinds of incidents, daily. But then it stopped pretty abruptly and there has been virtually no crime in the last year+ .... there is the occasional incident, but not at all like some of the previous posters make it out to be where it's only a matter of time before you experience it. A lot of people joined the neighborhood security patrol and crime seems to have pretty much left the area. I've never personally had any issues, don't have a security system and park on the street and feel very safe.

Demographics seem to be majority white, mixed ages with some young and some old, but mostly 30-40 somethings with kids, very gay friendly. Kids everywhere. You can rent a nice old 2 BR/3BR house for ~$1600 mo, but they rent very quickly, like within a week of the sign going in the yard.
This is a great description, thank you. It's good to hear there is a neighborhood patrol. We'll definitely be checking the area out. If we can get a 2 bedroom for $1600 that would be really ideal.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 PM

32 posts, read 63,176 times
Hide yo iPhone, hide yo Mac, 'cause they stealin' errything out here | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Just don't expect to leave a coffeeshop with everything you brought in...

Steve Jobs would be humbled.

Last night, a trio of thieves entered Inman Perk coffee shop just before closing time, and absconded exclusively with customers' high-priced Apple products.
According to Bob Sandage, Inman Neighborhood Association's vice president of public safety (and owner of the Wrecking Bar on Moreland Ave.), three thieves made off with three gadgets — two iPhone 4s and a 15" MacBook — each belonging to one of three separate Inman Perk customers.

An employee told an officer on duty for Inman Park Security Patrol that one of the men, an African American wearing a hoodie and a Hawks hat with two long dreadlocks protruding from it, came in 15-20 minutes before his cohorts, took stock of the location, and returned with the others around 10 p.m. Shortly thereafter, each of the men snatched up an electronic device and fled.

The other two are both young black males between the ages of 17 and 22. One, who was wearing a red hoodie at the time, was described by multiple witnesses as having "pronounced" front teeth. The other was wearing a black leather jacket with a fur-lined collar. A dark-colored Dodge Charger was seen leaving the scene in a hurry at just about the same time.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM

Yikes!

All of this stuff on here about crime makes me extremely worried. I grew up in NYC and live in LA, I've never ever felt unsafe in any city (I don't go into neighborhoods like the South Bronx or Compton). After reading this forum, I feel like I need to board up my house and buy a couple of guns and keep 911 on speed-dial to live anywhere in Atlanta....

Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,544,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
Yikes!

All of this stuff on here about crime makes me extremely worried. I grew up in NYC and live in LA, I've never ever felt unsafe in any city (I don't go into neighborhoods like the South Bronx or Compton). After reading this forum, I feel like I need to board up my house and buy a couple of guns and keep 911 on speed-dial to live anywhere in Atlanta....
Its sensationalism. The facts don't support that Atlanta is dangerous:

How

"Crime in Atlanta has been consistently dropping. Between 2001 and 2009 the crime rate in Atlanta dropped by 40 percent, according to the FBI. Homicide fell 57 percent. Rape is down 72 percent. Violent crime overall is down 55 percent. Atlanta’s public safety improvement has occurred at more than twice the rate of the rest of the country. Crime is down across the country, but Atlanta’s improvement has far surpassed the national trend. This relative improvement explains why Atlanta — after ranking in the top five highest crime cities for most of the previous three decades — now ranks 31st. Atlanta has lower crime than Salt Lake City, Orlando, and Tacoma, Washington."

Safer than Salt Lake seems pretty safe to me.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Thanks BringbackCobain, was feeling a little uncomfortable.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:54 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,585,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
Yikes!

Not anywhere. Just certain places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or