U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:30 PM

230 posts, read 536,346 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've posted several times on here. My bf and I are moving to Atlanta in January and we're still deciding on where to live. Several folks on here recommended Virginia-Highland and Decatur. We love Morningside and Virginia-Highland and the homes we've seen are beautiful but they all seem to be expensive. We're looking to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom house with 2 bathrooms and a yard. Everything we've seen is in the $2,000+ range so far. We don't want to stretch our budget to more than $1,850/month max at this point.

Our real estate agent has recommended places like Grant Park and Inman Park - saying that they are on their way up. I worry that's code for a place with high crime - especially since the beautifully renovated homes are all rather inexpensive compared with their Highlands/Decatur counterparts. We're coming from LA so we're well aware of city-living but I don't want to be afraid of parking our car on the street and having someone break into it. Or be concerned that I'm at home alone.

Can anyone comment on the demographics of these places? Are they safe and quiet?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 AM

461 posts, read 901,759 times
Both Inman and Grant Park are great places to live. They aren't going to be that much different than Virginia Highland. Most crime in any of the above neighborhoods is just going to be petty theft for the most part, but do your homework and look at crime statistics. I wouldn't consider either of them as "on the way up." They are both pretty established communities.
Other options you might look at are Candler Park and Kikrwood.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1,856 posts, read 2,900,671 times
i live in the east atlanta area and I love it....its very easy living. The water bills are outrageously high but I have a nice 3 bedroom,2bath, fireplace,frontyard back yard for 800.00 per month. The area is great...we have a great neighborhood watch, and my son goes to a great school.

by the way welcome to atlanta

Old 11-05-2010, 07:53 AM

12,948 posts, read 21,050,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Both Inman and Grant Park are great places to live. They aren't going to be that much different than Virginia Highland. Most crime in any of the above neighborhoods is just going to be petty theft for the most part, but do your homework and look at crime statistics. I wouldn't consider either of them as "on the way up." They are both pretty established communities.
Other options you might look at are Candler Park and Ki[rk]wood.

This.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:54 AM

28,185 posts, read 24,748,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Other options you might look at are Candler Park and Kikrwood.
I love Grant Park but we have two close friends who live there who've both had multiple burglaries in the last couple of years. One guy got hit three times, even after he installed security cameras and got a big dog.

These could well be aberrations but both of our friends say they have a pretty high awareness for this now.

Terminal Station: Atlanta crime data: Residential burglaries

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM

21,871 posts, read 12,775,725 times
Good post Oakhurstlauren!

To the OP, I had to chuckle at the comment that Inman Park is "up and coming". I live in the neighborhood and it was perhaps up and coming back in the late 70's/early 80's but it is far from that in my opinion. Unfortunately the least expensive home for rent in Inman Park in FMLS is coming in at $3250 per month

Plenty of my neighbors do not have garages and have to park on the street. I see most crime listed in the neighborhood newsletter as smash and grab. I am always amazed to walk by cars and see items of "value" sitting in clear sight.

Here are some websites for you to check out on Inman Park:

www.inmanpark.org
www.inmanparkvillage.com

Good luck to you

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,630,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I love Grant Park but we have two close friends who live there who've both had multiple burglaries in the last couple of years. One guy got hit three times, even after he installed security cameras and got a big dog.

These could well be aberrations but both of our friends say they have a pretty high awareness for this now.

Terminal Station: Atlanta crime data: Residential burglaries
Agree with above...I know 4 people at work who live in GP and each have had their home broken into (one twice) in the last 3 years. Nothing violent, they usually hit during the work day when they knew people weren't home, but it's still kind of sketchy for most people. Of course this type of crime happens all over Atlanta, but anecdotally I feel like I hear of much more in this particular area (in terms of suburbanish areas with professionals living there).

Old 11-05-2010, 10:10 AM

461 posts, read 901,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Agree with above...I know 4 people at work who live in GP and each have had their home broken into (one twice) in the last 3 years. Nothing violent, they usually hit during the work day when they knew people weren't home, but it's still kind of sketchy for most people. Of course this type of crime happens all over Atlanta, but anecdotally I feel like I hear of much more in this particular area (in terms of suburbanish areas with professionals living there).
Grant Park is not sketchy for most people by any means, especially someone who is already used to urban living. I work in the area amongst Grant Park residents, 54 of them to be exact, in the last 3 years they have had one car stolen and a couple of smash and grabs from cars (that left ipods or whatnot in them). I know there have been some flat screens stolen from houses in the neighborhood, but that's every neighborhood anywhere. The police day watch has gotten pretty strong in GP that regard.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 PM

28,185 posts, read 24,748,296 times
I don't think Grant Park is sketchy. It's cool and vibrant and to me it feels safe. However, there's no denying there's been a burglary problem. That doesn't make it a bad area, it just means there's a problem that needs to be addressed.

From what I'm told the community has done a great job of dealing with it.

Grant Park, Atlanta Crime Watch Group | Facebook

Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,155,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

[/url]
Same here. One of my coworkers got hit a few months back- they kicked in his front door and stole his flatscreen TV. The burglars then went to his next door neighbor's house and attempted to do the same thing, but got interrupted 1/2way through and ran. The neighbor called my coworker and said his TV was left behind, so it got picked up later than night, and the door got replaced.

Later than week, the thugs decided to give it another go, and when they found the new door to be harder to kick in, they broke a window instead and got the TV.

Sorry folks, but that's more not "something that happens in every neighborhood", as someone tried to brush it off as being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or