Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 09:48 PM

17 posts, read 45,145 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any recommendations about the real estate program at Georgia State?

If you do not know about GSU you do not need to read the rest, but what do you think about the Atlanta Real Estate market and the quality of life in Atlanta?

GSU is my top school on my list because it is in Atlanta and how I can major in Real Estate. I plan on getting my real estate license in the summer before school starts, so I can get exposure to the real estate world during college. I already know a lot about real estate from my parents, high end is my favourite but I realize I cannot start with high end real estate. Ideally I want to get into residential/commercial investments and real estate development. I was wondering does anybody know how hard it is to get into GSU????, I applied as early action on Sunday so I do not know when I will find out if I get pushed over to regular which I think will happen, I hope applying to the real estate program helps a bit, lol.

Stats:
3.38 GPA(My freshman and sophomore grades were on this scale 93-100 A, 85-92 B, 77-84 C, 70-76 D, and 69 below F, then junior year we switched to the normal ten point scale)
1540 SAT score(all three, 1010 combined)
I am also hispanic/white if that matters, because some people say that helps you a lot when you apply to college. So technically I guess I get URM status.
One thing I did not understand was on the GSU Application there was not a section to write about yourself or talk about extracurriculars. They only had a check off system for extracurriculars.
I currently live in VA, so I do not know if out of state hurts or helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 04:58 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Only top tier schools generally have essays. Admissions will strictly be on your numbers. GSU is excellent at its stregnths. Real estate and business have always been strong programs.

I would think you would get in.

You do understand that GSU is sort of a commuter college, though more and more that is changing.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 PM

102 posts, read 219,460 times
Just curious...what do you plan to do with this major that could not be accomplished through some other business major plus a real estate license. What is the economic outlook for Real Estate degree? I have a real estate license, so maybe this provides some marketable angle of real estate than I am not aware of. I am not being critical of your choice...I really want to know.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
I am graduating from the GSU real estate program this semester. If I had to do it again, I would have majored in finance/accounting/economics (or architecture/urban planning at Tech if that appeals to you) and had real estate as my minor. I've found that the major classes are basically a rehashing of the same concepts over and over. Not that the program is a bad one (it was ranked 4th in the world this year New Ranking Lists Robinson), but I don't know if you want to major in it. I simply think a more general business major with a RE minor is more marketable. One thing that's great about the GSU RE program is the amount of networking opportunities and job assistance they provide.
Also, I've had many people ask, "Why didn't you just get your RE license and have that be it?" That's great if you just want to work as a broker/agent, but people who major in RE are looking to be involved in the background workings: real estate development, planning, finance, etc.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM

17 posts, read 45,145 times
Well I knew I always wanted to major in business and wanted to get into real estate investments. It was just a year ago when I began looking at colleges and I came across GSU and I saw they had a real estate program and I had never heard of the major and it is something I love so much I knew it would be a major I could succeed in.

I also realize GSU is more of a commuter campus which is actually very appealing to me I am a very social person but the whole living in a dorm is not my thing, lol. All my sibling recommended looking for colleges where you do not have to live on campus because they all had to for their first two years and they hated it.

Whenever I tell the more intellectual kids at school I plan on majoring in real estate there like you do not have to go to college for that, lol! But people do not understand when you are majoring in real estate it is to get into real estate development not just selling properties. But to be honest if I start selling properties and I am able to make a nice income I probably would keep doing it.

I just love houses though, I have been looking at real estate daily since I was in fifth grade. Like when I look at a house I do not just look at the pictures I look up the tax records and check the assessments and check the comps. So for me my favorite part of real estate is the business aspects. I decided Atlanta would be a great city for me because I love the homes, climate, and southern location.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Well it's good that you are interested in the business aspect of RE and not just the aesthetics. I on the other hand did not realize this until 3/4 of the way through the program, which is why I'm starting in the interior design program next spring . I guess I became a bit disheartened when it became clear that a building is just a number on a spreadsheet to most RE people; most developers don't care what a building looks like as long as it makes money. If I have to do one more discounted cash flow ananlysis...I am glad I got a business education because it will be very useful in the future, but now I want to get into design as well.
As far as getting in, I wouldn't be worried. Actually I wish GSU would make it a little harder to go to school there, as many people in my classes are not the brightest crayons in the box LOL.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
I recommend taking Professor Hamby's classes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta