U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 06:29 PM

73 posts, read 95,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
the area she was buying a home in, isn't it becoming a gentrified neighborhood? this isn't some suburban community we're talking about. imagine how the residents feel about "white people" moving into their neighborhoods and raising property values. i'd be a little irritated too

Higher property values mean higher property taxes, and other costs of living go up as well. Don't underestimate what can happen when the yuppie grocery stores and restaurants take over and the original residents income can't keep up. Then there's the new yuppified homeowners associations fining the old residents to oblivion over landscaping issues...

Old 11-06-2010, 07:40 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,619,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
and more telling that you think its ok
nobody is saying racism okay, but you're the one who missed the whole point of the article.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Higher property values mean higher property taxes, and other costs of living go up as well. Don't underestimate what can happen when the yuppie grocery stores and restaurants take over and the original residents income can't keep up. Then there's the new yuppified homeowners associations fining the old residents to oblivion over landscaping issues...
i know. that's the point i was trying to make. it's so unfair, but the OP is so blind he/she fails to see that.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:

When a black-skinned person screams "Black Power!", he/she is standing up for his rights. When a white-skinned person yells "White Power!", he/she is a racist...
you can't be this oblivious. that's because those who yell "white power" usually ARE racist. those are two totally different movements that arose out of totally different circumstances. BLACK POWER arose during those times of our economic and social oppression and stands today as a way to motivate blacks who are still held down in some ways by their skin color. there were even white people who were a part of the black power movement....WHITE POWER, on the other hand, originated as and stands today as a movement based on RACISM: the suppression of minority people and the belief in white supremacy. so don't even sit there and try to act as if it is some sort of double standard, because it is not

BLACK SUPREMACISTS are racists, and are appropriately called such

Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM

374 posts, read 481,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Do you truly understand why this is so in U.S. society?
Not 50 years after the race riots of the 60's as well as a black president.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM

374 posts, read 481,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i know. that's the point i was trying to make. it's so unfair, but the OP is so blind he/she fails to see that.

SO you are saying black people can't build a yuppie neighborhood and only white people can? LOL.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:24 PM

7,732 posts, read 7,321,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Commando View Post
Then there's the new yuppified homeowners associations fining the old residents to oblivion over landscaping issues...
Sorry, but I have to take exception to this. These are city neighborhoods that were originally mentioned in the article. I am not aware of any neighborhood ITP that isn't a planned development where this is even possible. It simply doesn't happen in a pre-existing neighborhood, to my knowledge.

The only way this is possible is by local government code enforcement, not by recently arrived neighbors attempting to impose their will - of any ethnicity or background.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
SO you are saying black people can't build a yuppie neighborhood and only white people can? LOL.
that's not what i'm saying. i'm saying that all you can focus on is the comment you didn't like instead of looking at the bigger picture...and people say that we're quick to cry racism

Old 11-06-2010, 08:30 PM

9 posts, read 19,570 times
Call it racism, prejudice, whatever. I know how the prespective buyer felt. I have been house hunting for several months now and everytime I enter into what is a mainly "black" neighborhood, I feel lucky that all I get from the residents are harsh stares, middle fingers or hear "we don't want you here, *****". I'm fairly sure that kind of behavior from me to them would be cause for at least a mention from the local new media if not an acutal call to the law for potential "hate" crimes.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:42 PM

619 posts, read 896,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzona View Post
I never understand things like this. I have been yelled at by saying "mexican" or "blacks" while i get called hick, redneck, and whiteboy and im supposed to be ok with it.
Back to what i was saying here, is there any more polite term of calling mexicans??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta