U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:05 PM

9,190 posts, read 29,590,960 times

Advertisements

The problem is that years ago, "The Village" was sort of an "L.A." type of atmosphere. Young, pretty, white yuppies and yuppettes who put on their party best and did the club circuit thing. The biggest complaints were of course people being intoxicated, throwing up in parking lots, etc.

A while back several Rap/Hip Hop artists opened their own clubs in that same area, and the problems began. Fights, muggings, and an occasional stabbing or shooting as well. That type of music also has a very pronounced "thumpthumpthump" beat to it, which literally shook the windows of the surrounding condos and homes in the area. Over time complaints have been mounting more and more and the business owners and residents there (who we should be reminded have A LOT of $$$) finally had enough of it and what you see happening today is the result. Some may think it's race based but the fact is that it doesn't matter who/what/how... a series of clubs opened that had a clientele that were much less respectful of surrounding residents than the previous sets of partiers were. Since that area has much of the city money in it (read "campaign contributions") - their voice is being heard, and the buildings have been sold to make way for condos, etc.

What will happen (likely): Vinings will not allow a repeat of what happened in Buckhead. There will be much stricter rules and regulations as to how many places, what type, noise, etc. Midtown residents also will most likely not put up with a Village repeat, either. They live through the music festivals putting up with tons of noise - a full time every weekend thing won't fly there.

I actually DO see the Rap/Hip Hop clubs going downtown. Doesn't sound likely, but yes, maybe even Underground will get some of them. The city has all but abandoned the Five Points area due to the number of vagrants there, and now favors the Centennial Park area for tourists to gather in - their focus is on keeping that area spiffy, not Five Points any longer. So my guess is to expect to see some of these clubs relocating into the Five Points area. As far as the Yuppy white clubs - like others have suggested, I see more of a spreading out of those. Vinings, Buckhead, Midtown, etc... not any one central core area anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 12:23 PM

826 posts, read 2,734,986 times
What Clubs in Atlanta are or were owned by hip hop artists?

Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 PM

563 posts, read 2,506,821 times
It's interesting you say this..b/c these clubs you speak of...were not owned by HIP HOP ARTISTS...they were owned by the same people who catered to the pop/house crowd one night...and then the hip-hop crowd another night.

Most of the clubs geared towards hip-hop entertainment aren't even in Buckhead--haven't been for YEARS.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:55 PM
JPD

11,871 posts, read 14,477,354 times
Who cares who owned the clubs? It doesn't matter who owned them.

Were the windows being rattled by the music coming from the clubs, of from the people blasting hip-hop from their cars while cruising? I think it's the latter. You can easily get a club to keep the volume of the music at a reasonable level by issueing noise citations. It's virtually impossible to control the volume of car stereos.

Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM

563 posts, read 2,506,821 times
I love the codespeak

Complaints about the area have been going on way before Blacks frequented the Buckhead Village area...also, we all know that Black club patrons were not the only one contributing to the gridlock, etc. I've been to Buckhead Village...and I've seen my fair share of White folks throwing up in the streets, acting unruly, and urinating in people's yards. Regardless of who's doing it, it's not tasteful and I wouldn't want that in my backyard either.

I think the problem was more based on the fact that there simply were TOO MANY CLUBS in one small area.

I get sick and tired of White America trying to blame everything on Black America.

The link below is a great article on the demise of Buckhead Village:
06/24/07 NEWS, COVER: Closing time > SundayPaper.com > Current Articles (http://www.sundaypaper.com/CurrentArticles/tabid/98/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/267/062407-NEWS-COVER-Closing-time.aspx - broken link)

Old 07-10-2007, 02:40 PM
DFJ

9 posts, read 25,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
I love the codespeak

Complaints about the area have been going on way before Blacks frequented the Buckhead Village area...also, we all know that Black club patrons were not the only one contributing to the gridlock, etc. I've been to Buckhead Village...and I've seen my fair share of White folks throwing up in the streets, acting unruly, and urinating in people's yards.

The link below is a great article on the demise of Buckhead Village:
06/24/07 NEWS, COVER: Closing time > SundayPaper.com > Current Articles (http://www.sundaypaper.com/CurrentArticles/tabid/98/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/267/062407-NEWS-COVER-Closing-time.aspx - broken link)
True. But who was responsible for the shootings, stabbings, etc.? It was the black/hip-hop crowd. There's no mistake, no euphemisms, no "code speak." When black, hip-hop-worshiping crowds decided Buckhead was their place to party, it became the OK Corall. The city had to pass laws to bring the violence to an end, laws that affected nightlife throughout the city because one group decided it was a shooting range.

I'm sorry, but the political correctness in Atlanta has become ridiculous and absurd. You can't even state the obvious anymore without someone pulling the race card. And the demise of Buckhead as a nightlife destination was due to black crowds in Buckhead. Go ahead and pull the race card - I call the bluff.

Buckhead needs revitalizing? Why would an area with the highest property values in the city, the most expensive stores and restaurants in the city, a Rolls Royce dealership and a Tiffany's need revitalizing?

Revitalizing is code speak for "let's get the black/hip-hop crowd out of here!"

Anyone who denies this is lying to themselves.

Now, the big fear that everyone living in the city has and has already been discussed earlier in this thread: where will they go next?

Wherever that is, rest assured Century 21 signs will be popping up soon.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:08 PM

218 posts, read 1,065,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFJ View Post
True. But who was responsible for the shootings, stabbings, etc.? It was the black/hip-hop crowd. There's no mistake, no euphemisms, no "code speak." When black, hip-hop-worshiping crowds decided Buckhead was their place to party, it became the OK Corall. The city had to pass laws to bring the violence to an end, laws that affected nightlife throughout the city because one group decided it was a shooting range.

I'm sorry, but the political correctness in Atlanta has become ridiculous and absurd. You can't even state the obvious anymore without someone pulling the race card. And the demise of Buckhead as a nightlife destination was due to black crowds in Buckhead. Go ahead and pull the race card - I call the bluff.

Buckhead needs revitalizing? Why would an area with the highest property values in the city, the most expensive stores and restaurants in the city, a Rolls Royce dealership and a Tiffany's need revitalizing?

Revitalizing is code speak for "let's get the black/hip-hop crowd out of here!"

Anyone who denies this is lying to themselves.

Now, the big fear that everyone living in the city has and has already been discussed earlier in this thread: where will they go next?

Wherever that is, rest assured Century 21 signs will be popping up soon.
Maybe they will all come to Clayton County, the he!!ilfied place here in Georgia. We always get the leftovers, maybe we will get even MORE crime once they come out here.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
DFJ

9 posts, read 25,668 times
The newest destination for the black/hip-hop crowd is Atlantic Station. That is truly the talk of the town right now, albeit in whispers: How in a year's time Atlantic Station has gone from a terrific example of urban development to a hip-hop loitering outpost where crime is becoming commonplace.

Just don't say anything out loud about it; that would be politically incorrect. Despite the fact that it's true.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:08 PM

826 posts, read 2,734,986 times
When someone states the hip hop artists owning clubs resulted in the decline of that area of Buckhead, and its possible not true, then yes it does matter. The loud music coming from cars seems to be a citywide issue. I donít live near any dance clubs however I still hear these cars come down my street. In my hometown I never heard cars this loud. The point made about the Hip-hop crowds presence causing the spike in crime at Atlanta Station was an interesting one. Crime in the city has gone up across the board. Zone 4 has had the highest spike in crime from last year, Atlantic Station is in zone 5.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:32 PM

738 posts, read 607,111 times
Black, white, purple - who cares? As a 47 year Buckhead resident, I'm just glad they are leaving! Thanks to Ben Carter, John Williams, et al for redeveloping the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or