U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 12:39 AM

91 posts, read 301,520 times

Advertisements

You all are forgetting how long this cycle has been going on...
Back in 1969, the hot night life area for rich white kids was, believe it or not, Underground Atlanta. From 1969 -1973 was Underground's heyday. Then, in 1973 the city repealed dress codes in the bars there. In addition, other parts of the city and dekalb county repealed laws and were allowed to serve cocktails (before only underground could). Marta was also contstucted, eliminating a lot of parking as well as bringing in black people. A shooting. Then another shooting. A stabbing. The blacks had taken over. Whites left, and the area went into steep decline, of which it still has not recovered from.

So, Buckhead is just a modern version. No people are going to go a place where they think they will get shot. Atlantic Station is the new Buckhead, and it is thier own fault. The 'clubs' and restaurants cater to African tastes, and T.I. has made several appearances there. There is also a shuttle running to Marta and back every 5 minutes.

Unless something changes, Atlantic Station is headed for the same fate as Underground. Shirley Franklin, who is a lot less politically correct and biased than previous mayors, should realize this and try to save Atlantic Station before its too late, although with this first shooting it might be too late anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 10:44 AM

22 posts, read 88,393 times
I think some people are sensitive to this subject so let me say this... if or when I pay $1 million + for a home in Buckhead, that last thing I want to hear on a Friday or Saturday evening is loud music. It could be rock, it could be hip-hop or that dumb a$$ rage music with the freaky hand dancers. It doesn't matter, this is an ecomonic argument, not a racial one. Million dollar homes and loud music does not mix. Additionally, the fact that people were being robbed and occasionally killed and only one group was reponsible (after certain establihsments opened)... if I were a resident, why would I want my children to live in a place like this???

I've lived in NYC, LA, Northern California, Phoenix and now DC... there is no coincidence that violence has had an association with hip hop clubs in each place. And by reading the comments in this forum, Atlanta is no different (ya think). People aren't racist for saying this and it's not codespeak. All you need to do is look at the crime statistics from the area before club _________ moved in. It's rare that it's the clubgoers causing the crime. The usual suspects however, are the idiots from the hood that like to hang out in the parking lot after the club closes trying to pick up chicks (broke motherfuc*ers) or rob/assault people going back to their cars.

You would be naive to think this wasn't going to happen. Politics are economic, and the people in Buckhead have a great deal of money and with money comes influence. I'm certain if you polled the residents of Buckhead (Black, white or Asian), you would find that they are all delighted. Now, that's my opinion of course, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Racism does exist, and from what I've read lately, very much so in Atlanta. I think better arguments can be made though for... clubs closed, Buckhead is racist. It's more like, clubs open, recent shooting, home prices decrease. That's a problem. And as a Jamaican immigrant, known to frequent a hip hop establishment or two(three or four) in my younger days, I've seen this happen more that once in my lifetime.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:18 PM

557 posts, read 1,173,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I read that this is the last weekend to party in Buckhead, as Bulldozers are tearing down Buckhead Village to make way for new condos, hotels, and a Rodeo Drive type setting with expensive shops. What will this mean for the nightlife in Atlanta? Will the party scene move to Midtown and Downtown?
Too bad I didn't see this thread before I went to Atlanta for a conference last week. I decided to check out Buckhead while I was there. I had always heard about Buckhead from people who visited Atlanta. I had an "Atlanta On The Go" booklet that included a Buckhead map. It showed the corner of Peachtree and E. Paces Ferry as "Buckhead Village - nightlife, restaurants, galleries, and fine boutiques". The cover of the booklet says "Nov-Dec 2007" - they need to update their map!

After I went to Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza I went down the street and saw that the area was completely demolished. I was in front of ESPN Zone looking across the street like .

Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 AM

54 posts, read 149,927 times
Default It sucks for everyone in Atlanta that is single !

Look, I agree with everyone here on this page for the most part. I think it is pretty sad what has happened to the city. The violence is unfortunate, but that happens in any big city that has nightlife. Shirley franklin did not want to make an effort to keep these establishments. She is a person of big business and she saw prime real estate on these lots. So she took the easy way out of the situation. It was not just Buckhead that was a casualty to this it was the whole downtown area. I left Atlanta because of this, the lack of entertainment and culture. If you have no nightlife or establishments to bring people together you have nothing. When I moved there in 2002 there were so many establishments and different types of places to go and it brought more of an international feel to the city. Things were 24 hours like Vegas now it is like a ghost town on Saturday nights. And has been that way for the last 3 years in case you haven't noticed . The demise of Buck head was just the finishing Blow !

This is a very Strong minded mayor that has taken over the city and hass converted it into a bible belt. The violence is hardly the reason why this is happening it is all about prime real estate. I have watched this cities downward spiral for years and I could not take it any longer. Where there was once unity amongst everyone Whites and Blacks, latinos and Asians now is segregated. Virgina Highlands is predominantly a white area and is less impressive than the older spots to party. I think with more police brutality and security and some changes in music. The Buckhead area could have been spared but obviously that was not a concern of your mayors. If Riveria and the legendary Backstreet can close down everyone should have knew the others were coming. I mean these where monster establishments with a lot of clout and money behind them. My last 3 years there I was locked in an apartment with barely any options.

So I can definitley empathize with what everyone is saying. As far as Atlantic Station is concerned that is a waste of space in my opinion, just a shopping area. There is nothing anyone can do about the clientèle. Atlanta has under gown a series of changes in the last 4 years since hurricane Katrina. There just isn't the same grade or quality of people moving there anymore. There use to be only students, business people or college professionals who moved there. Or just people with drive and ambition for a better life. Now alot of people are moving there to get away from problems in there local city. Or because they may feel there is more opportunity which there isn't for everyone of a certain race. Atlanta is just like anywhere else, it is who you know or what you want out of it. And everyone isn't going to become the next usher or 50cent. I moved there in 2002 for a different reason, for the culture and the nightlife. Now that is pretty much over so I left ! What is going to happen when the people in Little Five start Complaining? Its not Prime real estate so noone cares. I am pretty sure they have complaints too !

Old 04-09-2008, 03:16 AM

54 posts, read 149,927 times
Default p.s

Club Compound also closed it went from a mixed club with different styles of music to all hip hop, now closed? Why is this? Ask yourself that Question ? It existed pretty well up until it went all hip hop. Which was another establishment that I liked to frequent every so often. It was one of the last places you could go that was diverse that was actually nice and not claustrophobic. The opera is a wannabe high class yuppies place I just didn't like the atmosphere especially on the techno side. It is just trying to be, and do too too much at one time. And is horribly over crowded because of the lack of other places to go. Lava lounge is the same way in a sense, all the places just come across contrived and you don't see regulars or all ages like you use too. Just alot of young kids which I find very interesting considering I use to party with people of all ages.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,456,770 times
Compound is not closed! They are remodeling to have a full opening later this summer but somehow they are still open on Fridays and for special events. A few weeks ago I went to a private invitation only Bacardi "World of Flavors' event there were it was open bar of all new Bacardi flavored rum products. It was on a Thursday night and it was PACKED . COMPOUND your Atlanta Nightlife

Old 04-09-2008, 08:43 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,622,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arish View Post
I moved there in 2002 for a different reason, for the culture and the nightlife. Now that is pretty much over so I left !

Waitwaitwait... you moved here for the "culture and nightlife"?

Where did you live before to compare it to - Hoochatachee, Alaska??

I've been here since 1984... Atlanta has NEVER had an abundance of culture and nightlife. It's not New York, L.A., San Francisco or Miami or even for that matter, San Antonio in that regard. It's never had more than a small handful of real museums, decent nightclubs, or a lot of anything else entertaining unless you consider malls entertainment. Atlanta has for decades been a "business" city (similar in a way to Houston - a place you go to conduct business, not "have fun").

Sorry you didn't like it. I'd move myself if I had the funds to do so, but to move here just because of night life options, little as they were even in 2002 - that was a wrong move from the start on your part I think.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM

595 posts, read 2,101,868 times
Sad, sad.
First off scattering nightlife is not a good thing. Putting bars and clubs within walking distance is much better as it keeps people drinking off the roads.
Secondly, Atlanta needs to find an image and stick with it. Even here in the French Quarter...you do get violence from time to time (but nothing major) on Bourbon Street but many bars on Chartres, Decatur, Frenchman, Magazine, etc stay open ALL night until the sun comes up with no problem of course most of these bars are not thugged out...they are jazz, blues, electronica, goth type places.
Atlanta needs to get a grip, and building trashy non descript condos and high end boutiques is about as worthless of an idea as you can get.

Underground does need fixing...and lame clubs isn't going to do it. It needs to be reopened to the world instead of being so tightly controlled, the city needs to keep the hiphop music to a dull roar, and all the mallification crap they stuck in there in the 80s needs to come down. It doesn't feel 19th century or old in there, it feels like a mall.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,622,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Underground does need fixing...and lame clubs isn't going to do it. It needs to be reopened to the world instead of being so tightly controlled, the city needs to keep the hiphop music to a dull roar, and all the mallification crap they stuck in there in the 80s needs to come down. It doesn't feel 19th century or old in there, it feels like a mall.
I can get around the fact that Underground has a "brick and stone mall" feel to it. The biggest problem is the entire area surrounding it. Five Points has for years been little more than a flophouse for bums. Not homeless people in need of assistance - bums (there IS a difference). In Woodruff Park, along Peachtree near and at Underground, surrounding the MARTA station, and along the fountain area across from the Park - they're in the grass, on the sidewalk napping, asleep on the fountain sitting area, etc etc. It's like a third world country at times around there. How could a city possibly expect THAT to be attractive to tourists (the people with the money to spend).

They can ferry the people over to the Olympic Park area, and they can create high dollar shopping districts in Buckhead, but until downtown is cleaned up, it will never be "complete", and none of them will draw record breaking crowds (and dollars) to the city.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

595 posts, read 2,101,868 times
Well living in New Orleans, bums sleep all over Jackson Square but that doesn't take away from the space too much.
Problem with UA is it's a crappy space, it doesn't feel 19th century...I've seen film of it in the 60s-70s, it was dark, gas latern lit with jazz pumping out of steamy nightclubs...it looked very neat. Now it just sucks.
And there is no street level shopping or street cafes downtown. I had to set up for a conference at the Marriott 2 years ago and I went outside to try to find lunch elsewhere, nothing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or