U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:24 AM

9,190 posts, read 29,573,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Well living in New Orleans, bums sleep all over Jackson Square but that doesn't take away from the space too much.
Problem with UA is it's a crappy space, it doesn't feel 19th century...I've seen film of it in the 60s-70s, it was dark, gas latern lit with jazz pumping out of steamy nightclubs...it looked very neat. Now it just sucks.
And there is no street level shopping or street cafes downtown. I had to set up for a conference at the Marriott 2 years ago and I went outside to try to find lunch elsewhere, nothing...
In the 60s and 70s Underground looked neater (my older sister briefly lived here during that period), but they did have a problem with muggings and unsavory characters during that time, too. Of everything though, it was the construction of the MARTA Five Points station that did it in, otherwise it probably would have stuck around longer.

As far as shopping/cafes go - once again, the bum problem. Back in the mid 80s there were a few places that would come and go down in that area but people simply didn't want to eat outside when during the time frame of one meal 3-4 guys would walk by and ask you for money while you were eating. As far as the shopping goes, the malls did away with much of that, but a few stores (like the Macys on Peachtree) stuck it out as long as they could. Shoplifting was a HUGE problem though and security costs were large. They finally sunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 AM

387 posts, read 1,417,503 times
I'm glad they're making Buckhead into the Rodeo Drive of the South. That area needs more high-end, expensive, materialistic shopping.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

54 posts, read 149,822 times
Well I believe you are absolutely right in a sense "AtlantaGreg30127, I come from MEMPHIS and I have to be honest Atlanta has become a bit worse in a sense. I moved there because I use to visit and I saw all the people downtown just having so much fun, all mixed races creeds and colors. I also loved the 24 hour clubs, there use to be no limit on how much you could party. So I guess in away I was enamored buy the small things they use to have. And I also loved club Backstreet for the Techno music and the fact that it brought alot of different cultures together, Gays, Straights black whites, Asians etc. So I have to honestly say I was blinded I guess. Also there was another spot in Little Five points that was real cool the Masquerade it has also went to **** for some reason or another. I couldn't seem to see or get a good crowd there anymore and the music became top 40 ****. Also I never could understand there certain nights ? It appeared that it became more of a live concert venue. In 2004 the mayor forced a strict accordance on the city I will never forget it we all had to vacate by 3pm I was in shock. And Atlanta has went down hill every sense in my opinion it just never recovered. Memphis actually never had a 24 hour club scene but they still have a backstreet and they are still trying to bring more nightlife to the downtown area I heard. But I would never go back there because of the lack of culture also and the violence. And people are just plain ignorant in that city !

Old 04-09-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Sad, sad.
First off scattering nightlife is not a good thing. Putting bars and clubs within walking distance is much better as it keeps people drinking off the roads.
Secondly, Atlanta needs to find an image and stick with it. Even here in the French Quarter...you do get violence from time to time (but nothing major) on Bourbon Street but many bars on Chartres, Decatur, Frenchman, Magazine, etc stay open ALL night until the sun comes up with no problem of course most of these bars are not thugged out...they are jazz, blues, electronica, goth type places.
Atlanta needs to get a grip, and building trashy non descript condos and high end boutiques is about as worthless of an idea as you can get.

Underground does need fixing...and lame clubs isn't going to do it. It needs to be reopened to the world instead of being so tightly controlled, the city needs to keep the hiphop music to a dull roar, and all the mallification crap they stuck in there in the 80s needs to come down. It doesn't feel 19th century or old in there, it feels like a mall.

I agree 100% , with no doubt on what you are saying, I can tell you are just as hurt as I was over this. It is a horrible thing when you move somewhere or live some where and you feel your life is mapped out. Then you have to pick up and move because you are forced to a strict accordance. I hate when people try to control me or a situation. You either have to roll with the punches or roll out. I rolled the **** out ! If you are married Atlanta is the perfect place for you to stay. If you are looking for excitement look further go to the west coast as I did. Miami and New York are just too too expensive. I love New Orleans I am just devastated of the economic situation there. But vamp girl you hit it on the nail on alot of things and you are absolutely right. But Atlanta is controlled mostly by afro Americans so the hip hop music will be forever there. So it will always attract alot of losers in a sense, that will mess it up for other black people. Underground can not be revitalized it needs to be torn down. There are too too many low class people that hang there solicitors and etc. So it just needs to be changed to something else. If she can tear out Buckhead then I am sure Underground can go with no problem it is a useless piece of crap. And OH wait ! Violence goes on there too, so why is it still there?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I can get around the fact that Underground has a "brick and stone mall" feel to it. The biggest problem is the entire area surrounding it. Five Points has for years been little more than a flophouse for bums. Not homeless people in need of assistance - bums (there IS a difference). In Woodruff Park, along Peachtree near and at Underground, surrounding the MARTA station, and along the fountain area across from the Park - they're in the grass, on the sidewalk napping, asleep on the fountain sitting area, etc etc. It's like a third world country at times around there. How could a city possibly expect THAT to be attractive to tourists (the people with the money to spend).

They can ferry the people over to the Olympic Park area, and they can create high dollar shopping districts in Buckhead, but until downtown is cleaned up, it will never be "complete", and none of them will draw record breaking crowds (and dollars) to the city.

Atlanta is backwards really backwards that is all I have to say ! They kill the nightlife thinking that will solve the problem. But they leave a cliche like that standing tall ? Underground would have been the 1st to go in my opinion because it makes the city look really bad. The nightlife did not it brought more reason for people to visit from all over. I have no reason to come back and visit I know that ?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well living in New Orleans, bums sleep all over Jackson Square but that doesn't take away from the space too much.
Problem with UA is it's a crappy space, it doesn't feel 19th century...I've seen film of it in the 60s-70s, it was dark, gas latern lit with jazz pumping out of steamy nightclubs...it looked very neat. Now it just sucks.
And there is no street level shopping or street cafes downtown. I had to set up for a conference at the Marriott 2 years ago and I went outside to try to find lunch elsewhere, nothing...

Well, you can expect that in new Orleans it has a rep for being a grimy town. But Atlanta is trying to clean the city up but not going about it in a very viable way in my opinion. Everyone can't afford a million dollar condo and these high end places. Also it isn't going to bring tourism back either people want more than that . Bums sleeping all over new Orleans isn't really going to change much there because it is what it is a party central. Any place were there is 24 hour nightlife, you will see that ! But Atlanta is supposed to be sqeeky clean city but has bums all over downtown, go figure that ?

Old 04-09-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
Too bad I didn't see this thread before I went to Atlanta for a conference last week. I decided to check out Buckhead while I was there. I had always heard about Buckhead from people who visited Atlanta. I had an "Atlanta On The Go" booklet that included a Buckhead map. It showed the corner of Peachtree and E. Paces Ferry as "Buckhead Village - nightlife, restaurants, galleries, and fine boutiques". The cover of the booklet says "Nov-Dec 2007" - they need to update their map!

After I went to Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza I went down the street and saw that the area was completely demolished. I was in front of ESPN Zone looking across the street like .

Pretty messed up isn't it , how do you think I felt living there? They are not going to update it because they figure you will spend your money else where that is what they are hoping. It looks like a Ghost town for the most part. All they had to do was change the music a bit and it would have worked out.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Compound is not closed! They are remodeling to have a full opening later this summer but somehow they are still open on Fridays and for special events. A few weeks ago I went to a private invitation only Bacardi "World of Flavors' event there were it was open bar of all new Bacardi flavored rum products. It was on a Thursday night and it was PACKED . COMPOUND your Atlanta Nightlife
But what is it now another all Hip Hop Club? If so it won't be open long before something happens !

Old 04-09-2008, 02:09 PM

595 posts, read 2,099,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arish View Post
Well, you can expect that in new Orleans it has a rep for being a grimy town. But Atlanta is trying to clean the city up but not going about it in a very viable way in my opinion. Everyone can't afford a million dollar condo and these high end places. Also it isn't going to bring tourism back either people want more than that . Bums sleeping all over new Orleans isn't really going to change much there because it is what it is a party central. Any place were there is 24 hour nightlife, you will see that ! But Atlanta is supposed to be sqeeky clean city but has bums all over downtown, go figure that ?

New Orleans might have an image as a party city, but you do realize it's a bit more than that to the people that live and work here, as opposed to this idealized Bourbon street? Besides New Orleans has CHARACTER and a local CULTURE.
And squeeky clean isn't what I want from a city...if you want a business, family city with no adult entertainment (and I dont mean strip clubs), and things to do...Atlanta is not the place. The ATL was never perfect but it is where I was born and grew up, and its full of contracting temp jobs, horrific traffic and bland entertainment.
If you want the bums gone get a mayor who is going to do something about it but outside of putting them in jail or forcing them to get on a bus and leave, I'm not sure what you expect in any city.

but Atlanta can take this goofy Mayberry image it seems to want and shove it! (IMHO of course)

Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,451,841 times
Thumbs up Wait a minute amigo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arish View Post
But what is it now another all Hip Hop Club? If so it won't be open long before something happens !

Yes Compound caters to a mostly popular music crowd(Hip-Hop, R&B, Pop, Top 40)...

But Alex Gidweon (Owner of Velvet Room, Compound & former Visions Nightclub (which is scheduled to open on Peachtree & 14th soon) has a great track record in this city...all of his clubs are/were successful and continue to cater to a diverse clientele which include Hip Hop, Pop & Top 40, all the popular genres for the under 35 set. He ==* VELVET ROOM *==, www.agentertainment (broken link), COMPOUND your Atlanta Nightlife. Nothing has EVER happened in any of his clubs and his company has raised the bar for upscale urban nightlife in this city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or