U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2007, 11:14 AM
 
3,409 posts, read 8,490,965 times
Reputation: 1922

Advertisements

I read that this is the last weekend to party in Buckhead, as Bulldozers are tearing down Buckhead Village to make way for new condos, hotels, and a Rodeo Drive type setting with expensive shops. What will this mean for the nightlife in Atlanta? Will the party scene move to Midtown and Downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 AM
 
481 posts, read 2,550,352 times
Reputation: 269
Yeah this was a long time coming...

I doubt the party scene will move to downtown (lol) but midtown, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 07:16 AM
JPD
 
11,873 posts, read 14,486,801 times
Reputation: 7544
My prediction:

The existing centers for nightlife like East Atlanta, Little Five Points and Virginia-Highland will get more crowded. There will probaly be very few new bars/clubs opening, and if they do, they'll mostly be outside of the Atlanta city limits (like Jermaine Dupree's new club in Tucker, Studio 72). Underground Atlanta will not benefit from this at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
 
92 posts, read 601,065 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
My prediction:

The existing centers for nightlife like East Atlanta, Little Five Points and Virginia-Highland will get more crowded. There will probaly be very few new bars/clubs opening, and if they do, they'll mostly be outside of the Atlanta city limits (like Jermaine Dupree's new club in Tucker, Studio 72). Underground Atlanta will not benefit from this at all.
Why don't you think Underground will benefit from this? Didn't the city pass legislation to extend bar hours to 6am for that area alone? I think that should attract a lot of new clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 08:57 AM
JPD
 
11,873 posts, read 14,486,801 times
Reputation: 7544
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuch View Post
Why don't you think Underground will benefit from this? Didn't the city pass legislation to extend bar hours to 6am for that area alone? I think that should attract a lot of new clubs.
The extended hours did attract new clubs, and what happened? It's still a ghost town. Most of the clubs have closed. Nobody wants to go to underground. I think that's been proven time and time again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
 
92 posts, read 601,065 times
Reputation: 65
thats too bad. I thought it was a good idea. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
 
29 posts, read 94,872 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I read that this is the last weekend to party in Buckhead, as Bulldozers are tearing down Buckhead Village to make way for new condos, hotels, and a Rodeo Drive type setting with expensive shops. What will this mean for the nightlife in Atlanta? Will the party scene move to Midtown and Downtown?
Basically no change because since blacks came into Buckhead and whites left, no one has been going to BH in years now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 08:29 PM
 
101 posts, read 258,017 times
Reputation: 54
What is happening to Atlanta's night life is actually good in terms of safety. The nightlife is going to be more scattered, which is a good thing. There will be less large groups which means less potential for crime. The areas that will have more than average night life will be your VA-Highlands area. Supposedly Vinings is trying to become a more nightlife friendly area, so we will see what happens with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 PM
 
481 posts, read 2,550,352 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdon View Post
Basically no change because since blacks came into Buckhead and whites left, no one has been going to BH in years now
Yeah wow uh... completely wrong.

My friends and I go to Buckhead all the time and from constant experience I can tell you it's certainly not deserted and the whites have certainly not left, whether you are talking about people to go to chill in Buckhead or people who actually live there (as far as people who actually own houses in Buckhead, your nuts if you think the whites have left).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta,Ga
826 posts, read 2,735,880 times
Reputation: 237
I think the problem was the violence that was associated with all the bars and night clubs. I believe they made it so you could not have a liquor license unless you served food. This extended all the way down Peachtree which is why Club 112 closed also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top