Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:26 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post

Also, you understand that zombie extras dont get paid, right?

If you're part of a scene that just shows "mass zombies", you don't get paid. If they focus on you, you get stock rates (around $100 per day). This at least, from someone I chatted with who claimed to have actually been a zombie (in a sense).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i hate to be that guy, but considering the demographics of metro atlanta, shouldn't 1/3 of the entire cast and extras be black?

....and slow zombies aren't scary
They had open casting calls back in May 2010 looking for volunteers. Ads on Craigslist and other places.

If some groups aren't well represented, maybe that indicates some cultural trait that makes them less interested in being zombified?

Old 12-06-2010, 04:49 PM

230 posts, read 621,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
And getting back to the spoilers (so hide your eyes if you're sensitive)....
According to the novels, they leave Atlanta for DC at some point, so since the series has been picked up for a second season it stands to reason they'll continue with the comic plot at least on some level. Eventually filming will stop here and move elsewhere.
Not necessarily. Because of tax incentives, they might just reconstruct DC in Georgia. Would make a lot of sense, they wouldn't have to relocate anyone and pay out-of-town rates.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:13 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
It was most certainly a very smart move for the production folks not to fill the streets of Atlanta with black zombies and white living people. Imagine the outcry when the white people are always cutting off the limbs and heads, and otherwise assaulting blacks -- even if they are zombies. It would surely be interpreted as a racist manifesto. Given the hyper sensitivity of all things with the remotest racial tinge (insulting, really?), it was the right choice. I can just hear Al Sharpton now DEMANDING that the black zombies be shown as "equal" to the white people.
this made no sense. it's not about racism. all i'm saying is that the entire cast should've represented the actual demographics of the metro. don't tell me you wouldn't be appalled if they had decided to make the entire cast black, since a lot of people think atlanta is nothing but blacks anyway

Quote:
PS: Im a native Atlantan. Not sure if some realize this but white Atlantans dont go around touting or refering to Atlanta as the "black mecca' - or if we do its only in jest. Maybe its because the entire USA is seen as the "white mecca"?
this has absolutely nothing to do with what i'm talking about

Quote:
Also, you understand that zombie extras dont get paid, right?
point being??

-----------------------

i'm sure that native atlantans, both black and white, would be pretty upset if any series set in atlanta depicted the area as being nothing but a bunch of backwards, bush-loving, rednecks and crackheads. it's all about being accurate, is all i'm saying

Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 AM

479 posts, read 702,903 times
Quote:
this made no sense. it's not about racism.
Lots of things arent about racism - but "certain people" make them about racism anyway. Exactly what would have happened had the white cast been shown butchering black zombies. Blame Jesse Jackson

Quote:
all i'm saying is that the entire cast should've represented the actual demographics of the metro... it's all about being accurate, is all i'm saying
All about being accurate? This is not a documentary - or didnt you realize? Its a fantasy/horror/ show. By definition it is not accurate! They filmed the CDC scenes at the Cobb Civic Center and SciTrek. Does that disturb your penchant for accuracy too?

The show is NOT about Atlanta. No one outside of Atlanta cares where its set. They just enjoy the show for its story line. Zombies are not Real People. HELLO!

Quote:
.... since a lot of people think atlanta is nothing but blacks anyway
"A lot of people think Atlanta is nothing but blacks"? Really? You got some backup stats on that? No one who has ever flown thru the airport or spent 5 minutes in Buckhead thinks that. Who cares what ignoraumuses think? And why perpetuate such an obviously false myth anyway?

Quote:
i'm sure that native atlantans, both black and white, would be pretty upset if any series set in atlanta depicted the area as being nothing but a bunch of backwards, bush-loving, rednecks and crackheads.
Atlanta is being shown as nothing but an abandoned city overrun by human flesh eating zombies. Gosh, why isnt the Chamber of Commerce crying foul that its unfair and driving away potential new business??

Old 12-07-2010, 07:57 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,430 times
lol, at the last episode I saw the MP blow the black zombies brains out and I thought of this silly thread !

Old 12-07-2010, 11:18 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,843,058 times
Quote:
Lots of things arent about racism - but "certain people" make them about racism anyway. Exactly what would have happened had the white cast been shown butchering black zombies. Blame Jesse Jackson
yeah, okay

Quote:
All about being accurate? This is not a documentary - or didnt you realize? Its a fantasy/horror/ show. By definition it is not accurate! They filmed the CDC scenes at the Cobb Civic Center and SciTrek. Does that disturb your penchant for accuracy too?
of course. i actually think it has a lot to do with hollywood not respecting the south

Quote:
"A lot of people think Atlanta is nothing but blacks"? Really? You got some backup stats on that? No one who has ever flown thru the airport or spent 5 minutes in Buckhead thinks that.
buckhead? what about midtown? downtown? atlantic station? and as far as the airport goes, i'm sure most people notice that atlanta has an above average black population. hell, last time i visited, it seemed like all of the airport employees were black

Quote:
Who cares what ignoraumuses think? And why perpetuate such an obviously false myth anyway?
why perpetuate that atlanta is 95% white?

Quote:
Atlanta is being shown as nothing but an abandoned city overrun by human flesh eating zombies. Gosh, why isnt the Chamber of Commerce crying foul that its unfair and driving away potential new business??
lol, i had to laugh at that one

Old 12-07-2010, 11:23 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,289,438 times
I'm furious that they depicted the 55 Marietta St. building as a department store, when, in fact, there is no retail of any kind in that building.

How can I take this show seriously when they distort reality in such a flagrant way?

Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
It's a show about ZOMBIES. "Reality" has already gone out the window!

Seriously, why are people getting so bent out of shape about this? Just enjoy the show!

Edit: Sorry. Yeah, this:

Quote:

The show is NOT about Atlanta. No one outside of Atlanta cares where its set. They just enjoy the show for its story line. Zombies are not Real People. HELLO!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

25 posts, read 47,160 times
Never seen the show myself, but thought you Zombie groupies would like to see this.

'The Walking Dead' finale breaks ratings records – The Marquee Blog - CNN.com Blogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta