U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 12:13 PM

6 posts, read 12,793 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Just wondering, aside from the happy question, how has your life changed in terms of quality of life... better, worse, or no difference? Would you have done things differently or the same?

Thanks for you input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 02:13 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,146,639 times
Overall better quality of life. Better life for kids (IMO). Easier living. Better Weather. Cheaper Housing. More disposable income to travel.
Less diversity in each area. Food not as good. Can be provincial and segregated. Need to spend more time finding culture instead of culture being in front of you.
Still realize you're in the south and are amazed at comments that come out of people's mouths. No water nearby.
Overall, a good decision but sometimes question it.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,364,457 times
Atlanta today.

Well, my wife is a North Jersey girl and loves it to death.
I'm an old West Virginian and could leave tomorrow. Go figure.

Then again, I was a fan of South Jersey and not a fan at all with Northeast Jersey, and to be frank the Atlanta area reminds me so much of Northeast Jersey and NYC it could be my main reason of distaste.

I thought it was funny one time when I made a statement like this and a native Georgian told me to get my tail out of here if I don't like "Dixie" Well, it might have been Dixie a hundred years ago but it's New York City today.

So if you love Northeast Jersey, You will without a doubt love the Atlanta metro area.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 PM

823 posts, read 1,989,803 times
I lived my whole life in NYC before moving to Atlanta a few weeks ago and I have to disagree that Atlanta "is New York City". There are certain similarities that you see in any major city but beyond that the two are very different. The first reply is correct. This is the south. The pace is much slower. The energy that you get in NYC, and to a lesser extent in the suburbs, is just not here.

It sounds like the second reply just isn't a city person. Especially since he says he likes South Jersey which is much more rural. Not everyone is a city person.

I think the first reply hit the high points pretty well.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:58 PM

169 posts, read 469,454 times
I also agree with the first poster. Fall and winter are fine. Pollen makes it hard to be outdoors in the spring. Summer heats about the same. You acquire more stuff here, cars, homes, insurance. Atlanta as a whole is more casual than NY but can be boring and suburban.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:42 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,364,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I lived my whole life in NYC before moving to Atlanta a few weeks ago and I have to disagree that Atlanta "is New York City". There are certain similarities that you see in any major city but beyond that the two are very different. The first reply is correct. This is the south. The pace is much slower. The energy that you get in NYC, and to a lesser extent in the suburbs, is just not here.

It sounds like the second reply just isn't a city person. Especially since he says he likes South Jersey which is much more rural. Not everyone is a city person.

I think the first reply hit the high points pretty well.

No I am not a city person for sure, however, many folks from the Hudson area always like to refer to S.Jersey as much more rural. Yes, the Piney's play a large role, however, the western (Philadelphia) side does have some identity to NE Jersey just as SE Jersey has some identity to Sussex and Warren County area.

In my travels on the BQE, LIE, GW upper and lower, I have made the Atlanta NYC comparison to traffic.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 95,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquiO View Post
Hello everyone!

Just wondering, aside from the happy question, how has your life changed in terms of quality of life... better, worse, or no difference? Would you have done things differently or the same?

Thanks for you input!
Much better - even though I want to leave Atlanta now. Been here 13 years and time to move on. But was very good to me. Tons of jobs and reasnable property taxes and insurance and real estate prices. I do prefer a more european-american city though.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:43 PM

tsdon,
Am feeling the same. I'm kind of down on Atlanta these days and am trying to decide what else is out there that offers the quality of life of Atlanta but just a bit...well, more. Would be interested to know where you're finding european-american cities!

Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM

29 posts, read 95,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
tsdon,
Am feeling the same. I'm kind of down on Atlanta these days and am trying to decide what else is out there that offers the quality of life of Atlanta but just a bit...well, more. Would be interested to know where you're finding european-american cities!
Other than Albuquerque, if I find more, I'll tell you. It's true - I'm in IT so nothing bad to say about Atlanta, but it just feels like a huge sprawl with traffic with a need of character that I know it's not going to get. Time to move on. Way too many people for me now - and I grew up in NY!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:28 PM

and every time I think it's going to change, turns out to be one more Sembler development with the same ole' big box stores. You'd think someone would get it by now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or