U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,744,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Many of us live ITP. And it's not just a "black thing."

I live in a predominately white area of DeKalb County, and we still were able to throw Jill Chambers out of office. She was the only Democratic win in the entire Legislature.
The pain in the ass to marta was voted out? Interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:04 PM

28,153 posts, read 24,696,070 times
Didn't she get a lot of heat because she'd filed for bankruptcy or something along those lines?

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 PM

722 posts, read 2,935,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
You would never know that this was Georgia/Atlanta board considering the number of Liberals that post in this forum. Based on all the anti-Deal, anti-Republican sentiment you would think this was the San Francisco board.
Oh brother. Just because we're criticizing the Republican Governor-elect about his issues with ethics we're suddenly San Francisco liberals?? Apparently a true Georgian isn't allowed to say anything bad about Republicans...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:20 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,744,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Didn't she get a lot of heat because she'd filed for bankruptcy or something along those lines?
I saw reference to it on Google but I haven't been able to research it fully.

Very interesting as much as she harassed marta bout their books...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:52 AM

28,153 posts, read 24,696,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Oh brother. Just because we're criticizing the Republican Governor-elect about his issues with ethics we're suddenly San Francisco liberals?? Apparently a true Georgian isn't allowed to say anything bad about Republicans...
He has no option. As a politician, you cannot simply admit wrongdoing. Therefore, you have to demonize the accusers.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,854,025 times
Quote:
On this Atlanta board the left leaning posters outnumber the conservative ones 10 to 1. That was the point of my comment.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Ok, I actually am sorry. I overreacted to your post. Even I have noticed how strangely liberal this board is. have you ever read the comments section on the AJC politics page? Liberals out number conservatives by at least 3 to 1. Again, more proof my my "two Georgias" theory. Fulton and Dekalb vote like San Francisco and the rest of the state voting like Mississippi. The suburbs are in transition and are a different story. While we're at it, lets examine the latest Atlanta voting patterns in the Governor's race:

Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton: The bluest counties in the state by far. Republicans should be worried because these counties keep growing.

Cobb: It swung back to the Republicans but not by a huge margin. Obama got 44% in 2008 and Barnes got 41%. In this republican election year, a small swing could signify the county's continued political transformation, or it could just be because Barnes is from Cobb.

Gwinnett: It swing 7 points back to the Republicans, but is continuing to become more diverse. Last year it became a majority/minority county. My guess is that many of the new minorites in Gwinnett didn't GOTV like they did in 2012. Gwinnett is still very much a red county but a strong minority turnout could turn the county blue in 2012.

Rockdale: It went blue again. It's officially a blue county thanks to its large black population.

Henry, Newton and Douglas: All of these counties swung back to the Republicans but not by much. The black/minority population is still growing. Newton and Douglas will probably go blue again in 2012 and Henry is still a tossup.

Coweta, Forsyth, Cherokee, Paulding, Fayette: These majority white, fast growing exurban counties are as red as ever, and will likely stay red for a while.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:37 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,854,025 times
Quote:
Ok, I actually am sorry. I overreacted to your post. Even I have noticed how strangely liberal this board is. have you ever read the comments section on the AJC politics page? Liberals out number conservatives by at least 3 to 1. Again, more proof my my "two Georgias" theory. Fulton and Dekalb vote like San Francisco and the rest of the state voting like Mississippi. The suburbs are in transition and are a different story. While we're at it, lets examine the latest Atlanta voting patterns in the Governor's race:

Fulton, Dekalb, Clayton: The bluest counties in the state by far. Republicans should be worried because these counties keep growing.

Cobb: It swung back to the Republicans but not by a huge margin. Obama got 44% in 2008 and Barnes got 41%. In this republican election year, a small swing could signify the county's continued political transformation, or it could just be because Barnes is from Cobb.

Gwinnett: It swing 7 points back to the Republicans, but is continuing to become more diverse. Last year it became a majority/minority county. My guess is that many of the new minorites in Gwinnett didn't GOTV like they did in 2012. Gwinnett is still very much a red county but a strong minority turnout could turn the county blue in 2012.

Rockdale: It went blue again. It's officially a blue county thanks to its large black population.

Henry, Newton and Douglas: All of these counties swung back to the Republicans but not by much. The black/minority population is still growing. Newton and Douglas will probably go blue again in 2012 and Henry is still a tossup.

Coweta, Forsyth, Cherokee, Paulding, Fayette: These majority white, fast growing exurban counties are as red as ever, and will likely stay red for a while.
Very good observations all the way around and YES I have also noticed the number of liberals on the AJC boards too. One thing that I noted in your statement was my county of Cobb. To me it is following Rockdale and Douglas because of the ever increasing numbers of minorities that continue to move in.Outside of Vinings and some parts of Smyrna the entire southern portion of Cobb is now black or hispanic. There are also significant parts of Marietta, Powder Springs & Acworth that have lots of minorities. Schools like North Cobb, Hillgrove & McEachern are either majority minority or will be soon if the current trend continues. It pains me to say but Cobb me be the next major county to go blue.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 AM

Yeah, it will probably go blue. You also have to account for the liberal yuppies moving into the condos and townhomes in smyrna and vinings and cumberland. In 2008, seeing an Obama bumper sticker on a prius in those areas was about as common as seeing a traffic jam on 75.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Can I also point out that in my previous post, I meant to say that minorites in gwinnett didn't get out the vote like they did in 2008, not 2012. Also, Obama may have gotten 45% in Cobb, not 44%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or