U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 11:10 AM

28,118 posts, read 24,652,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Very good observations all the way around and YES I have also noticed the number of liberals on the AJC boards too. One thing that I noted in your statement was my county of Cobb. To me it is following Rockdale and Douglas because of the ever increasing numbers of minorities that continue to move in.Outside of Vinings and some parts of Smyrna the entire southern portion of Cobb is now black or hispanic. There are also significant parts of Marietta, Powder Springs & Acworth that have lots of minorities. Schools like North Cobb, Hillgrove & McEachern are either majority minority or will be soon if the current trend continues. It pains me to say but Cobb me be the next major county to go blue.
Wow. It's just hard to think of Cobb County ever going to the Democrats. But I guess I would have said the same thing about Rockdale and Douglas Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:32 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow. It's just hard to think of Cobb County ever going to the Democrats. But I guess I would have said the same thing about Rockdale and Douglas Counties.
Think about this, 10 years ago McEachern High in Powder Springs was virtually all white. Now it is majority black. Now I use this school because it is an old well established school in West Cobb that has a huge enrollment. Once schools like this start to swing so quickly towards a minority school you will have a hard time keeping Cobb Red as McEacherns district used to be one of the most solid Republican precints in the county. Far from that now, not sure if Powder Springs is majority minority yet but it has to be close.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Think about this, 10 years ago McEachern High in Powder Springs was virtually all white. Now it is majority black. Now I use this school because it is an old well established school in West Cobb that has a huge enrollment. Once schools like this start to swing so quickly towards a minority school you will have a hard time keeping Cobb Red as McEacherns district used to be one of the most solid Republican precints in the county. Far from that now, not sure if Powder Springs is majority minority yet but it has to be close.
No kidding! I thought the McEachern area was one of the main bastions of whites in Cobb County.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,852,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No kidding! I thought the McEachern area was one of the main bastions of whites in Cobb County.
Mceachern High School - Powder Springs, Georgia/GA - Public School Profile

Take a look here to see it is now a majority black school. Now the brand new high school Hillgrove is still majority white but only by a slim margin. What we have found out as our daughter used to attend Hillgrove is that once you cross Dallas Hwy it seperates itself immensely in regards to minorities. Example being that Hillgrove High on one side Dallas highway is like 44% minortiy. Harrison High on the opposite side of the road isnt even 12 minority. The schools are literally four miles apart at that. This divide is why Cobb will be blue in the next 20 years or even possible in the next 10. Scary indeed!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:45 PM

It would be cool if blacks and whites in Cobb could just sort of blend in but maybe that's pie in the sky.

Anyway, back to the original topic, it's not encouraging that the new Gov's staff is loaded down with lobbyists and special interests. So much for "We're here to take back our government."

Sounds like more of the same old song and dance to me.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:53 PM

2,816 posts, read 9,197,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
Can I also point out that in my previous post, I meant to say that minorites in gwinnett didn't get out the vote like they did in 2008, not 2012. Also, Obama may have gotten 45% in Cobb, not 44%.
Don't really know about that. When I went to vote at my location I was the only white person in the booth area outside of my spouse. Before the election and even to this day when I speak with folks of all ethnicity I hear frustration.

In regard to the Governor race, as I expounded over and over we had a choice between a dirty dog and a dirtier dog. We already knew what the dirtier dog did the first time around so many closed their eyes and punched the screen for the pound mutt. One cannot handle his finances and the other stacks the deck through questionable ethics to roll in the personal dollars ie., judge appointments, etc., which to this day the dirtier dog still cannot defend. The true "minority" candidate did draw some votes from those of us so frustrated that we could not sleep at night voting for the others, but how many minorities voted Monds?

Many folks again of different backgrounds in Gwinnett, where I work are not from Georgia, many if not the vast majority are from New Jersey, California, New York, and Michigan (Detroit), many of those folks have not moved but "ran" from states so blue you would think they were freezing. They have lived and seen what was brought through this type of emotion over logic government in those broken states. They have seen that their hope is more in less dope. Same wolf, different clothing.

All in all this trancendes above race, sex, and overall origin. There are three types of folks in the world no matter of the above. Producers, Takers, and Opportunist. The takers are growing in number, they would not work in a pie shop, the hand is constantly out, if the hand is not buttered then anything using the "victim" stance is broadcast loudly using emotional triggers such as racism, sexism, against the working man (white union workers), discrimination. The producers are shrinking, this is mostly due to an overall failed educational system, generations of you need to have it better than your parents, and the overall destruction of morals and basic values in society. Lastly, you have the most dangerous of all, the opportunist. This, today is our current government population, no matter of party. Republicans are no different than Democrats. Both want to rule your life though each us a different trigger. Dem's in the name of freedom, but want to destroy all of your liberties in the name of fairness. Repub's in the name of liberty, but want to destroy your freedoms in the name of Religion. Add this together you find the other two previous, one growing, one shrinking, which equals more power for the third.

In regard to Deal and Barnes. Just two dogs, no difference, heck actually the same party the only difference one changed clothes to so he could run before, this was an old Clinton trick in the 90's congress. In short, is the light at the end of the tunnel or is there an end to the tunnel?

In the meantime, folks will continue to use emotion as their trigger they will argue over race, creed, religion, etc., values will continue to decline, scruples will continue to become a thing of the past. In the end you will have the opportunist, the currupt politician all powerful while we, the people of all colors and backgrounds will become the surfs or the living walking dead.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:41 PM

461 posts, read 900,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
All in all this trancends above race, sex, and overall origin. There are three types of folks in the world no matter of the above. Producers, Takers, and Opportunist. The takers are growing in number, they would not work in a pie shop, the hand is constantly out, if the hand is not buttered then anything using the "victim" stance is broadcast loudly using emotional triggers such as racism, sexism, against the working man (white union workers), discrimination. The producers are shrinking, this is mostly due to an overall failed educational system, generations of you need to have it better than your parents, and the overall destruction of morals and basic values in society. Lastly, you have the most dangerous of all, the opportunist. This, today is our current government population, no matter of party. Republicans are no different than Democrats. Both want to rule your life though each us a different trigger. Dem's in the name of freedom, but want to destroy all of your liberties in the name of fairness. Repub's in the name of liberty, but want to destroy your freedoms in the name of Religion. Add this together you find the other two previous, one growing, one shrinking, which equals more power for the third.

In regard to Deal and Barnes. Just two dogs, no difference, heck actually the same party the only difference one changed clothes to so he could run before, this was an old Clinton trick in the 90's congress. In short, is the light at the end of the tunnel or is there an end to the tunnel?

In the meantime, folks will continue to use emotion as their trigger they will argue over race, creed, religion, etc., values will continue to decline, scruples will continue to become a thing of the past. In the end you will have the opportunist, the currupt politician all powerful while we, the people of all colors and backgrounds will become the surfs or the living walking dead.
so say we all..

Old 11-15-2010, 09:19 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,899,233 times
Quote:
Very good observations all the way around and YES I have also noticed the number of liberals on the AJC boards too. One thing that I noted in your statement was my county of Cobb. To me it is following Rockdale and Douglas because of the ever increasing numbers of minorities that continue to move in.Outside of Vinings and some parts of Smyrna the entire southern portion of Cobb is now black or hispanic. There are also significant parts of Marietta, Powder Springs & Acworth that have lots of minorities. Schools like North Cobb, Hillgrove & McEachern are either majority minority or will be soon if the current trend continues. It pains me to say but Cobb me be the next major county to go blue.
Mableton is maybe 50/50 racially, but a lot of the folks I know who have had Obama and/or Barnes signs out have been white. Remember that Barnes is a Mableton native, and many folks like me are centrist but more likely to vote Democrat than Republican due to the extremism that has seemingly taken over that party. IMO, obviously.

Too bad GA isn't more like MN, where an independent party actually commands some respect in elections, and where the two major parties tend to ebb and flow over time. Neither one controls everything up there, and hasn't for decades.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:05 PM

722 posts, read 2,933,257 times
This is a day of reckoning for the Democratic Party in this state. the Georgia Democrats as we have known them are dead, but the party isn't. The party has officially lost all of its rural, blue collar, white support. If they haven't left the party for good they will at least be away for a while. 40 years ago, the Republicans were smart to target that demographic of people, even when many never believed they would cut their strong ties to the Democrats. A new Democratic Party in this state needs to do the same thing, but they need to target new groups of people. I say their best bet is to pick up voters in the fastest growing parts of the state, i.e. Metro Atlanta.
In the 60's, the Republicans shed their wall street, city slicker image and rolled up their sleeves in order to appeal to white southerners in rural georgia, angry at the Democrats' support of civil rights and other progressive causes. They became cultural populists, espousing the values that white Southerners held dear while embracing the pork projects that helped their constituents. As of today, the Georgia Republican party is an exact replica of the Georgia Democrats 50 years ago and have essentially taken their place. But while they have bent over backwards to win over rural Georgia, they have left metro Atlanta, with its fiscally conservative and socially liberal leanings, unguarded.
The new Georgia Democrats will need to solidify their power in Fulton, Dekalb and Clayton while building a stronger network in Cobb and Gwinnett, two counties that seem to be trending Democrat. It would be wise for them to take a libertarian stance in some cases in order to build support in counties like Forsyth and Cherokee, which, despite their strong allegiance to the Republicans, are ripe for the taking. If I were one of the last Georgia Democrats, wondering where to go from here, I would say to hell with South and North Georgia and focus my efforts on Atlanta. It's where the votes are, it's where thousands of minorities are moving, and it's where you'll find a white electorate less likely to play a game of racial politics. Just my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or