U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:12 PM

173 posts, read 402,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Blacks will NOT vote for a gay Mayor regardless if he is black and a Democrat. Most blacks are pretty conservative when it comes to such things and especially the older ones who tend to vote more.
Cathy Woolard was elected city-wide to be city-council president and would have been reelected had she chosen to run again. And a majority-black district just elected a lesbian to the state legislature, only the second lgbt member of that body. So the facts simply don't support your assertion. This is Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,856,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
Cathy Woolard was elected city-wide to be city-council president and would have been reelected had she chosen to run again. And a majority-black district just elected a lesbian to the state legislature, only the second lgbt member of that body. So the facts simply don't support your assertion. This is Atlanta.
The state legislature and the city-council are different than being elected Mayor. I stand by my assertion that a gay couldnt get elected Mayor.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:23 PM

747 posts, read 1,267,604 times
What if he was on the DL? Seems there is a lot of dialogue missing in the black community when it comes to tfe fact that being gay is not just a "white thing."

Old 11-10-2010, 03:56 PM

362 posts, read 455,413 times
Quote:
The state legislature and the city-council are different than being elected Mayor. I stand by my assertion that a gay couldnt get elected Mayor.
"a" gay just got elected mayor of houston, tx - an easily more conservative city than atlanta, which also has a much lower gay population in general. houston also encompasses much more of it's suburbs than atlanta, areas which stereotypically tend to be more conservative than their city centers. houston is 26% hispanic and 24% black. c'mon, if a big southern oil town can elect "a" gay, so can we.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,890,331 times
Quote:
Interesting info, thanks for sharing. Looks like Atlanta will be getting a white mayor sooner than a lot of people thought.
Why not an Asian or Hispanic mayor?I think that Atlanta is in the mist of becoming a city where race does not govern who votes for who based on color.Remember Mary Norwood (I could be wrong)she did get more than 25 percent of the black vote.Thank God she did not win.Not because she is white.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:13 PM

44,715 posts, read 43,250,940 times
Quote:
Interesting info, thanks for sharing. Looks like Atlanta will be getting a white mayor sooner than a lot of people thought.
Who knows how that would work. Seattle, Denver, and Minneapolis got African-Americans mayors despite having African-American populations between 10-15%. Columbus,OH recently got its first African-American mayor and it is majority White(around 62% White and 25% African-American).

Old 11-10-2010, 05:09 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,882,083 times
Quote:
Blacks will NOT vote for a gay Mayor regardless if he is black and a Democrat. Most blacks are pretty conservative when it comes to such things and especially the older ones who tend to vote more.
1) Blacks, while obviously a very significant voting bloc, are not the only people who vote.

2) The city of Atlanta's Black population is on the decline.

3) Atlanta has a higher than average population of Black gays who would not be prone to voting "conservatively" for a gay mayor. Whether a gay candidate could politically galvanize the Black gay community is another issue though.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:37 PM

12,948 posts, read 21,050,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post

Great points. I actually think if Cathy Woolard had run in the election (and had stayed in the Council prior), she would have easily won.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM

4,583 posts, read 6,166,099 times
It either one of two things. More people are moving to the area or more people a knocking boots.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:25 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,550,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why not an Asian or Hispanic mayor?I think that Atlanta is in the mist of becoming a city where race does not govern who votes for who based on color.Remember Mary Norwood (I could be wrong)she did get more than 25 percent of the black vote.Thank God she did not win.Not because she is white.
I agree. Since policy is somewhat irrelevant in the mayoral race (all Democrats), I would prefer an Asian mayor to win. It would have the most shock value. People stereotype Atlanta as just whites and blacks, and while that was true up until somewhat recently, clearly that is no longer accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or