U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:11 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times

Advertisements

I wonder when will the first phase begin?

Aerotropolis
Streets of Buckhead
College Football HOF Museum
Atlanta Civil & Human Rights Museum
Legoland
National Health Museum

I wonder if the developer for the proposed Largest Ski Resort in the world near Lake Lanier will work with Deal to get additional tax breaks for his project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,809,051 times
Aerotropolis - Searching for tenants. First phase may very well be the construction of huge overflow parking decks for the new International Terminal. Presently in talks with Porsche North America for their HQ's to move there from Dunwoody, along with a new training center.

Streets of Buckhead - Not sure, but I keep hearing that Ben Carter is close to a deal with private equity financing since the banks are still on lockdown.

College Football HOF - Still deciding on a particular site, and in the fundraising mode.

Civil & Human Rights Museum - Pushed back a year to complete fundraising. I believe they are at around 65% or so.

Legoland - No clue.

National Health Museum - Haven't heard anything in several months.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Aerotropolis should build some movie studios on that site. That area would be perfect since it's near the airport

Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM

3,429 posts, read 8,516,470 times
I think the next development is the Old Fourth Ward area, with the new park and City Hall East development. Its also the first major project of the Beltline area.

Now there is talk about building a ferris wheel, as discussed in this thread: AJC: Sightseeing Ferris wheel for Atlanta?.

What I love about Atlanta is that there is always constant development going on, and every time I go back to visit there is something new that wasn't there before, whether its a new building, new park, new museum, Atlantic Station, the Aquarium, etc. The city may have taken a hit during the recession, but it didn't seem to set the city back too much. Now its back on its momentum. I'll really be looking forward to the Beltline being completed.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:37 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,809,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I think the next development is the Old Fourth Ward area, with the new park and City Hall East development. Its also the first major project of the Beltline area.

Now there is talk about building a ferris wheel, as discussed in this thread: AJC: Sightseeing Ferris wheel for Atlanta?.

What I love about Atlanta is that there is always constant development going on, and every time I go back to visit there is something new that wasn't there before, whether its a new building, new park, new museum, Atlantic Station, the Aquarium, etc. The city may have taken a hit during the recession, but it didn't seem to set the city back too much. Now its back on its momentum. I'll really be looking forward to the Beltline being completed.
So true, on all points.

The Beltline is going to be transformative in ways that are hard to imagine. You will not believe how beautiful the new Old Fourth Ward park turned out. It should be opening very soon, now.

Hope Tokyo is treating you well!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:32 PM

12,978 posts, read 21,094,397 times
Quote:
I love this too...

Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM

248 posts, read 545,127 times
Quote:
I think you're dead on here. With the streetcar, the Beltline, the new O4W park and skate park all in development, this neighborhood is a real center of positive change in the city. My guess is that, in five to ten years, many parts of O4W will be barely recognizable from what existed there in recent decades.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM

They are suppose to announce a list of a couple of hundred stores that will open at Aerotropolis this year

Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 AM

28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
I think you're dead on here. With the streetcar, the Beltline, the new O4W park and skate park all in development, this neighborhood is a real center of positive change in the city. My guess is that, in five to ten years, many parts of O4W will be barely recognizable from what existed there in recent decades.
O4W today is already a far cry from what it was 10-15 years ago. And I agree that it will continue to be one of the most exciting and urban parts of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
They are suppose to announce a list of a couple of hundred stores that will open at Aerotropolis this year
Wow! Is there an expectation as to what market Aerotropolis will be targeting? Their flyer refers to demographics within in a 10 mile radius, but I'm assuming they'll go after the whole metro area as well as out of town visitors. It'll be cool if they can draw the "North-of-20" crowd to Hapeville, as it is somewhat outside their traditional stomping ground for shopping.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
O4W today is already a far cry from what it was 10-15 years ago. And I agree that it will continue to be one of the most exciting and urban parts of the city.

Wow! Is there an expectation as to what market Aerotropolis will be targeting? Their flyer refers to demographics within in a 10 mile radius, but I'm assuming they'll go after the whole metro area as well as out of town visitors. It'll be cool if they can draw the "North-of-20" crowd to Hapeville, as it is somewhat outside their traditional stomping ground for shopping.

Aerotropolis will be next to the new international terminal. They are going to have a bus that will pick up people at the new terminal and bring them to Aerotropolis to shop and eat while they are waiting on their flight. Over 4.4 million people board international flights each year so...

They probably will also market to the people in South Atlanta who do not want to drive to Atlantic Station. The new movie studio at Lakewood is not far away.

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 01-31-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta