U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:22 AM

513 posts, read 1,399,427 times

Advertisements

fil, Austin is a wonderful town... it would be fun to live there for some time. But, I don't agree with all you posted about Atlanta. I mean, many of the problems you posted would be found in most major cities (racism, drugs, crime, etc.). My nice subdivision near Decatur has hispanic, black, Indian, white, Asian families... and (gasp!) even a Canadian! I don't sense any kind of racism at all where I live. I'm not saying it doesn't exist. But, I'm sure Atlanta doesn't have any kind of monopoly on it. I was eating at Papadeux this past weekend in Norcross and there were three black/white couples there. I love it. My wife is hispanic and I'm white so I like seeing things mixed up.

Zero culture in Atlanta? No way. I actually moved to Atlanta in the late 80's in part because every weekend I could go out and see some fantastic music.
I'm older now and not into that lifestyle anymore, but it's not very hard to find some artsy-fartsy event. Of course some other cities have more going for them, but if you live anywhere near 285 or closer then there is plenty going on within a short driving distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 06:12 AM

826 posts, read 2,734,252 times
"- People living beyond their means and keeping up with the Jones. This is everywhere, especially in California but it's pretty bad in the ATL. After the dot bomb, the foreclosure rate was crazy high. It's ramping up all over again and funny/sad to watch/hear house&car-poor people existing in these million-dollar neighborhoods. What a joke."

This is a national problem. Hence the mortgage companies getting into so much trouble.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,446,313 times
I guess that I should have started my post with, from the cheap seats in Austin and leaving ATL...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Atlanta.

The problems I mentioned seem more visceral a thousand miles away.

The national news seems to have much news about ATL with respect to shootings, death, and murder.

A quick look in Craigslist's rants and raves makes ATL look like a cess pool of racism versus other CL sites.

I'm a minority and I never felt racism in ATL, but online racism on Atlanta boards seem more palpable and, well, there. Check out the AJC forums and someone always ruins posts with something hateful.

Perhaps, I'm projecting since the KKK has a history in Stone Mountain and I was told many times not to live in Cumming whilst there.

The city has always seemed polarized when it comes to locations where various ethnicities live.

And believe me, this is the second time in my life that I've pulled the race card.

To the spirit of this thread, I posted what I believe to be wrong with the city.

Again, I miss it--the good and the bad.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM

187 posts, read 842,263 times
Fil:

You are so correct in your assessment of racial issue in Atlanta. This is a huge problem, despite other peoples denial that it is not. You would be shocked to know just how many people actually despise the fact that blacks are in influential and positions of power. Perhaps if people would stop allowing their ignorance to overshadow their judgement would they be able to embrace other cultures and races of people. But unfortunately to some ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
fil

What's interesting about Atlanta is that you know it's there.

Heck, you don't have to look far on this board to see racism mentioned synonymously with Atlanta.

So here's the question, since I'm in Austin now (and I see it here) would you rather have the diversity with overt racism or the cluebag it "doesn't exist here" mostly caucasian population that is on the ultra-liberal do-gooder side?

Some how I fear racism is worse here and latent.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:38 AM

513 posts, read 1,399,427 times
I'm sorry you guys have experienced racial issues. It's an insidious problem and I can't imagine having it thrown my way or to quietly experience it. I'm sure Atlanta has problems, but in my experience at work, where I live and in play it's not something I see that often. And, no, I don't live in white bread world either.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:59 AM
fil

Read 10 random threads on this board alone in the Atlanta section...racism is an issue.

Go to Austin's board and do the same thing...

You'll see what we're talking about.

If you don't believe me, check out the default Rants and Raves sections of CL:
atlanta rants & raves classifieds - craigslist

Go to other cities in CL and you'll see that ATL is pretty bad.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,606 times
I just had to speak up on the racism front. I'm a graduate student and I plan to move to Atlanta after I'm finished with school. I'm originally from California and am currently live in Texas. It is my experience that racism is everywhere. I've experienced subtle forms of it in California and I've experienced varying degrees of racism in Texas. I don't know if racism in Atlanta is worse than other cities, but I would think that it would be the same. I'm more of the mind set of if you don't like me let me know, instead of smiling and pretending that you do.

Old 07-15-2007, 02:02 AM

3,479 posts, read 6,180,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
I would like to interject slightly on this discussion. The growth of people in Atlanta is not really that great. It seems that it is, but it honestly isn't. I will just give you a peice of data to support my claim. Two years ago, on the MetroBrokers.com real estate sign that is so prominently displayed on I-75/85 south, it said that about 60,000 houses were for sale in Atlanta. Now it says that over 100,000 houses are for sale. I believe the exact number is 108,277. That number change alone shows that the supply of houses is outpacing demand. Hence, the city of Atlanta is more than capabale of becoming the home to more Atlantans in the coming years.
Huh? What you are commenting on does not negate the growth of Atlanta's population. The mere fact that that number is growing is because of the insane amount of new construction everywhere in Midtown and in all directions. The problem is that number reflects ALL TYPES of housing also. So, $100,000 homes are lumped in with $750,000 condos in Midtown. What you have quoted is a serious economic issue which will likely strike Atlanta hard in the next few years, but it does negate the increasing population number.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:01 AM

160 posts, read 525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anouk View Post
I just had to speak up on the racism front. I'm a graduate student and I plan to move to Atlanta after I'm finished with school. I'm originally from California and am currently live in Texas. It is my experience that racism is everywhere. I've experienced subtle forms of it in California and I've experienced varying degrees of racism in Texas. I don't know if racism in Atlanta is worse than other cities, but I would think that it would be the same. I'm more of the mind set of if you don't like me let me know, instead of smiling and pretending that you do.
Traffic has definitely become the biggest problem IMO too. Hmm and some police corruption too. They're ruining Atlanta's potential.
As far as racism, I think it's the same to better than other places. Of course it's all in what you're looking for. In my situation, I had to stop going to the Florida boards here all together because I was so offended by the things said there. I was just responding to negative, ignorant comments and losing sight of the reason i joined the boards in the first place. (Advice and oppinions on real estate and city issues) Sooo, on this board I feel like saying you have no idea what you're talking about!! But i can't b/c it's all relative. The way i see it, if Atlanta is self-segregated, it's the same as most southern cities, but at least I can come home to people like me...whereas in Florida I had to fight it all day and still not be able to identify with my neighbors either. There was never any 'safe place' really to rest your mind and have someone undersstand what you go through. If you prefer diverse neighborhoods there are plenty of them! If you prefer none, there are plenty of those too. Just research, visit and pick an area and don't complain about everything else.
I definitely prefer to know where I stand rather than be blindsided by people pretending racism doesn't exist. Natives in Georgia know it does, it's the transplants moaning about the "lack" of diversity andreverse racism.
I grew up in small towns and have felt and heard very overst racism. It didn't compare to what I experienced in Florida. You're lulled into a false sense of security because there are so many people of color around, but then it breaks down into regionalism, nationalism and classism....then I'm still the odd American out (not just the odd African-American out). It's so much worse.
I had to put people on ignore there (florida message board) because I had a hard time believing someone would actually say 'where are the white neighborhoods?' or 'blacks and hispanics are ruining everything' then say 'I'm not racist'. Unbelievable!!!!!!!! give me confederate flag over that facade anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta