Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

My finger is on the 'give a vacation' button right now....

If the usual list of people (more than one) don't get back on topic, only the topic, and don't stop posting the snippish troll comments, there will be fewer people able to post in the topic. Enough is enough.

Stay on topic
Do not discuss rep points
Do not discuss other posters
Make your point without trollishly wording them to invoke reactions from people

etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 11:39 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
I've never heard of so much crime in Atlanta until now. I thought that it was normal, since people blow its crime all out of proportion.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Anyway, livinginbuffalo - Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Most of us here tend to be friendly and helpful.

And again, so glad that you liked the area and had such a nice first trip.

Just so you know, the weather is MUCH warmer than it was last weekend. That level of cold is really not normal for this time of year......

Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I've never heard of so much crime in Atlanta until now. I thought that it was normal, since people blow its crime all out of proportion.
I'm not clear on what you mean here?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM

106 posts, read 232,436 times
I hate to say this, but Atlanta crime is really not that bad compared to other places I've seen around the U.S. I believe this city does have some unique cautions you must take though, also, this state allows people without felonies to carry a firearm if they decide to apply for a license with the probate court, that's really not a bad tradeoff if your able to become proficient with the use of it, great peace of mind insurance. But anyways, crime is really not that bad as many say, just like any other big city, use common sense.
Also, it's getting colder, during these months crime does rise a bit, people who go hungry in the cold tend to up the ante when taking risks, so be aware of this when treking through the urban forest!

Old 11-10-2010, 06:02 AM

528 posts, read 1,284,093 times
Default lol about the cold weather, I know they had a cold snap but

it snowed up here while we were down there so the high 50's were still a warm front for us (my furnace is blasting away as I type- 41 degrees with a high of 50 today). I did find it concerning that there was a "NO CONCEALED FIREARMS ALLOWED" sign at that Tex Mac restaurant or whatever the name. Those people that opened that are originally from Buffalo so it was fun to see some local streets on their restaurant (Kenmore burger, Elmwood burger) but that sign! We don't have that here. I mean, the thugs that commit crimes in the bad parts of the city carry guns and hunters, law officers etc have guns but it's not normal for people to have guns that they just carry around with them around these parts. I don't think that I would want to have to carry a gun with me for protection. Jeesh!

Anyway, hubbies interviews went well there, he had one in Ohio yesterday and they loved him so it's back down there for a couple more before they decide if they want him and we decide if we want them. It's exciting though.

I so appreciate all of the help everyone has given me on this board about the schools and the towns I should stick to for a good commute for him. We really focused on those areas and just loved them. Hubby is a die hard golfer so we will probably end up in a golf community or one right close to one. Thanks again and keep your advice coming!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:19 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
I agree people on here blow it out of proportion. I live in one of the "roughest" neighborhoods in Atlanta and have never had a problem with crime at all. More than likely because like a PP mentioned "I don't sell drugs" LOL. I have always lived in more "undesirable" neighborhoods for the 12 years I've lived in metro ATL because I'm not afraid of people and really I don't expect for crime never to happen to me at all in my whole life. My purse was stolen out of my car once, but I was dumb and left it in there so that was my fault IMO. Plus I don't believe there is a crime spree just because the news reports on a lot of crime to make people afraid and want to watch their programs to get tips on how to stay safe.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:35 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
it snowed up here while we were down there so the high 50's were still a warm front for us (my furnace is blasting away as I type- 41 degrees with a high of 50 today). I did find it concerning that there was a "NO CONCEALED FIREARMS ALLOWED" sign at that Tex Mac restaurant or whatever the name. Those people that opened that are originally from Buffalo so it was fun to see some local streets on their restaurant (Kenmore burger, Elmwood burger) but that sign! We don't have that here.

I mean, the thugs that commit crimes in the bad parts of the city carry guns and hunters, law officers etc have guns but it's not normal for people to have guns that they just carry around with them around these parts. I don't think that I would want to have to carry a gun with me for protection. Jeesh!
I'm certain there are posters more knowledgeable on local gun laws than I who can provide better explanations.

IIRC, you said you visited the Mall of GA area?

A bill was proposed last January to expand the concealed weapons criteria--I don't know if anything became of that. Perhaps this is a topic of interest in this area or perhaps there was an incident?

I probably know less than most about gun laws but have inferred that the laws vary from county to county. I believe you can carry a gun in Piedmont Park which is near the center of the city but this is not allowed in my own county less than 10 miles away.
In fact, I believe it is legal to carry a gun in state parks---not at all certain of this--but others would know the answer.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-10-2010 at 08:45 AM..

Old 11-10-2010, 08:41 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginbuffalo View Post
... but that sign! We don't have that here. I mean, the thugs that commit crimes in the bad parts of the city carry guns and hunters, law officers etc have guns but it's not normal for people to have guns that they just carry around with them around these parts. I don't think that I would want to have to carry a gun with me for protection. Jeesh!
You don't have to carry a gun for protection in Duluth or anywhere else in Georgia.

Concealed weapons permits are common throughout most of the U.S. these days. Your neighboring state, Vermont, has some of the most liberal gun laws in the country -- the "Vermont Carry" rules are often held up as a model of what pro-gun folks want. I think it's a mistake but that's the law.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Scary people are scary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta