Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:16 AM

26 posts, read 132,641 times

Advertisements

I need some help/opinions about buying into the Chamblee or Brookhaven area.

I am torn between two new townhome locations:
1) Turnbury Gates by View Point Homes in Chamblee and
2) The Views at Lenox Crossing by Pulte Homes in Brookhaven.
They are only 4 miles from eachother. Turnbury is further from Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza than The Views at Lenox.

I met the developer yesterday at Turnbury who told me that when I visit the Views At Lenox Crossing I should "lock my doors" because it's near two of the crappiest apt complexes around. He said his place was better because the resale is better since it backs up to the most prestigious golf course around (Peachtree Golf Course?). Turnbury is behind the Lowe's on Peachtree Rd which I didn't think was the best location IMHO.
I did notice and appreciate that Turnbury (not being a cookie cutter type of builder) uses better materials and is better quality...looks more high end. The stove and oven look more custom built in and the tile in the kitchen higher end. Plus the cabinets look better too. They use nicer looking tiles etc..
But, I was kind of turned off by his comments and his persistence about "Turnbury Gates" being better and so on.

Turnbury will offer me a unit of 1800 sq ft for $320K plus pay my closing costs.

The Pulte location View at Lenox which is 3.5 miles closer to Lenox mall and Phipps Plaza will offer me a 1750 sq ft unit for $300K plus pay my closing costs.

My dilemma is:
1) The developer told me that on Johnson Ferry Rd they are clearing out a site to build stores and restaurants now. I saw the site being cleared but what is going up there? Cool restaurants to hang out at or Target type chain stores?
2) Is being 3.5 miles closer to Lenox Mall at the Brookhaven location (View At Lenox Crossing by Pulte homes) "better"...... in terms of resale even though the quality of the townhome is not as high end as the Turnbury Gates location?
3) Not sure what the better buy here is? Pulte is a great builder, but is chosing View Point homes worth it being 3.5 miles further away from the hot spots?
4) And is that location behind the Lowe's a turn off for resale?

SO distressed over this!! Please help.
Thank you all in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 09:08 AM

297 posts, read 1,538,157 times
I know exactly where The Views at Lenox Crossing is, but I am not sure about Turnbury Gates. I know the Lowe's on Peachtree/Peachtree Industrial so I can imagine the location, but I do not know the exact location. Anyway, I personally do not think that being 3.5 miles closer to Lenox/Phipps is a huge deal, BUT what I do think that the Pulte development offers is much better access to both 400 and I-85. Turnbury Gates will pretty much limit you to 285 access, which is one of the most congestated interstates in Atlanta (especially in the Ashford Dunwoody area). However, Lenox Crossing puts both 85 and 400 less than 5 minutes from your front door.... this is a huge advantage when considering the commute to your job. For me, that makes the Pulte development much more desirable!

As for which is the better location for resale, I have no idea. A point to consider about being so close to a Lowe's - the noise from receiving shipments at night. Since I do not know exactly where Turnbury Gates is, I have no idea if this would be an issue. Maybe you could talk to some of the residents who currently live there. The one thing that Turnbury Gates would offer you is better access to Perimeter Mall.

On a final note, the fact that the developer is really putting down a competitor would concern me. If he knew his product was that much better, he would know that would become obvious to you after visiting both places. The fact that he needs to harp on that point would concern me that he is hiding something. Just my two cents! Good luck!

PS - The new Sembler project is about halfway between these two developments. It will be at the corner of Peachtree and (road name esacping me).... right next to Ogelthorpe University. It is just a tad bit north of the Brookhaven Marta station.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:10 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Stacey

Have you considered a short term lease before buying?

Anyway, the area you are considering is changing-- but just how it will change and what pace is up in the air. Projects that are underway will be completed, but projects that have not started may slow down or be abandoned all together.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:25 AM

Here is the link to Turnbury Gates....You go right past the Lowe's and turn onto Johnson Ferry Rd and it's right there on the immediate left.

Turnbury Gates - New Townhomes Inside the Perimeter
Turnbury Gates: Images from Atlanta's Exclusive Gated Townhome Community

here are pics of the inside too...I saw it yesterday...it's very nice...just not sure what the better location is? Views at Lenox off N Druid Hills Rd or the one on Johnson Ferry??

Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM

253 posts, read 1,181,591 times
I'm actually going through the same thing you are going through right now! Are you looking for it to be built or do you need to move in right now?

If you are looking for a unit available right now you may want to look at Ashford Creek - they had some really nice 2 bedroom 2.5 bathroom (plus bonus room units) at 299K that were really nice - I would have bought one myself except I have an apartment lease up next year, so I'm looking for things not yet built yet. They had the nicest clubhouse of all the new townhome communities I've looked at - in addition to the pool it had an onsite gym, which I really liked.

I looked at the Views at Lenox Crossing and while I liked the units, the floorplans were a little choppy for my personal tastes and I had a really bad experience with one of the onsite agents. After deciding not to buy there one of them called me and accused me of trying to get a better price with the other onsite agent, and was quite nasty. If I hadn't been in bed with a severe cold at the time I would have given her a piece of my mind, and I'm still tempted to figure out who their boss is and call and complain. Between the two I would agree that Turnbury Gates is nicer construction, the Lowes concerns me too much to buy there, but if you could get on the side of the community away from the Lowes it may not be too bad.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:31 AM

I actually need time to sell my house in NJ. Turnbury Gates is willing to give me as long as a 6 month out contingency on the sale of my home which is great for me. Pulte will give only a 60 day contingency.

Was the girl you dealt with Teena (and indian girl)? At the Views at Lenox or was it a blonde girl? How long ago was this? I know there was a girl there named Andrea (blonde girl) up until two weeks ago. Now it's another blonde girl but I do not know her name. I met them yesterday. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 AM

Andrea is the one who thought I was trying to bypass her, I guess Teena had a customer with the same name. There were two girls with my name in my high school, and three at my current physicians, so I know it happens, but she didn't believe me!

If I were trying to sell I'd be more comfortable with 6 months vs. 60 days, but I'm extremely cautious. Where else have you looked aside from these two?

Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Yes I know Andrea. I bought a place at the Terraces at Park ave last year from her with the 60 day contingency In Vinings, but I let it go after the 60 days because my house did not sell. They gave me my $5000 earnest money back and I am still looking:

I have looked at a ton of places!
1) Mosaic at Vinings (not impressed with the location Spring Rd in Smyrna)
2) Views at Park ave in Smyrna (Pulte)
3) Terraces at Park ave in Smyrna (Pulte)
4) Westbury at Vinings in Smyrna (Pulte)

6) Danbury Parc in Chamblee (again not too impressed with Centex)
7) Turnbury Gates in Chamblee (thought the quality here surpassed the others) not sure about the location. Behind Lowe's but overlooking the Peachtree Goff Course - this is my dilemna.

8) Views at Lenox Crossing in Brookhaven (1800 sq ft) Pulte
9) Overlook at Lexox in Brookhaven (2200 sq ft same as above but bigger) Pulte
5) Cobblestone at Brookhaven (not too impressed with Centex) I like Pulte better (Centex again don't care for them too much).

I covered alot....I liked for the $300K price range #8 and #7 best.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 AM

I think you've covered just about everything I looked at! Have you looked at Dresden Creek by Beazer? They were very nice and I think they were in your price range as well.

Just curious - what was your concern with Centex? Danbury Parc is probably my top choice at the moment, the only issue is they haven't released anything for sale so I don't have firm pricing or timing with them.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,677 times
Stacey- I live off Ashford Dunwoody (close to Turnbury) and often visit that Lowe's. Turnbury definitely sticks out like a sore thumb for that area. The townhomes look very nice and upscale and I know they are beautiful inside also (we checked out their sister community Telfair Gates). But in my opinion, the location is a big negative. You have the Lowe's and a gas station right next to it. The apartment complex across the street looks decent, but it's always better to have neighbors that are homeowners (and therefore have a vested interest in the well-being of the area). Right down the street on Ashford are a bunch of very small run-down homes. And I wouldn't consider that area of Peachtree Industrial to be very nice at all. You also don't have any parks or nice areas to walk/jog to (though if you're a golfer, the nearby course is a bonus).

The interesting thing is that Turnbury's immediate location is not good, but you are within close distance of some great areas. Perimeter Mall is about 4 miles away, Phipps/Lenox is 5 miles away, and one street over on Johnson Ferry you have subdivisions of new $800k McMansions. And it's very close to the Town:Brookhaven development going up.

You asked about the Johnson Ferry new development...I don't think any retail/restaurant tenants have been announced yet. But the site isn't huge so I'd be really surprised to get a Target there. You can get more info on the development at Johnson Ferry East

One final thing to consider- you'd have a Chamblee address if you lived at Turnbury. I'm no real estate expert and this is just my personal opinion- but if you are concerned about status and cache, a Chamblee address definitely doesn't bring that (where Brookhaven typically would). I'm not sure how much this would affect your resale value either.

Don't know anything about Lenox Crossing so can't comment on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta