U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:15 AM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I agree and tried my best to address this, but perhaps not enough. That isn't reactionary. It is a good point.

What I want to see is something that isn't extremely fast, but there is more control to engineer road to be consistent and fewer stops. (Ie. Less cars turning on and off the road, turn lanes at intersections... If the flow becomes more consistent it then becomes easier to time lights)

I'm not too concerned about the difference between 30 mph and 60mph. The corridor is only about 5 miles long.

But the other reason this is important is I feel it we need to balance the needs of through-traffic vs locals. If the road is altered it needs to make the area a better place to live and increase property values rather than drag them down.

Faster speeds also make it hard for pedestrians and cyclist to cross the road.

Albeit, I could be wrong and I am absolutely sure it does have alot of traffic on it, but I usually think of North Druid Hill carrying cars mostly toward Executive Park, Linbergh, and Buckhead.

It seems like the only routes to midtown without alot of maneuvering are Ponce or N. Decatur/Rock Springs to Piedmont. The odd thing about Rock springs is that its more like a neighborhood repaved and painted to be a 2-lane through road, so there isn't much you can do here and I am sure it isn't a place where people like traffic.
Good points again.

North Druid Hills is complicated by the fact that it has to negotiate a number of major and complex intersections -- Lawrenceville Highway, Clairmont, Lavista, Briarcliff, I-85, Buford Highway, etc. To a degree it's probably affected by the Sidney Marcus/GA 400 morass as well.

I don't mean to pull your original proposal off course, but traffic issues throughout the Northeast quadrant are probably interrelated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:45 AM

12,906 posts, read 20,974,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

But I still think transportation in the northeast part of the city (and by that I mean basically the 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock quadrant) could stand some serious improvements.
Definitely.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:19 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good points again.

North Druid Hills is complicated by the fact that it has to negotiate a number of major and complex intersections -- Lawrenceville Highway, Clairmont, Lavista, Briarcliff, I-85, Buford Highway, etc. To a degree it's probably affected by the Sidney Marcus/GA 400 morass as well.

I don't mean to pull your original proposal off course, but traffic issues throughout the Northeast quadrant are probably interrelated.
Another problem is the number of 'cuts' (read: driveways and streets) feeding on to NDH, and the lack of 'pull-over' lanes for MARTA buses that are frequently stopping during high-volume traffic times. The county seems to giving priority to cut reductions and bus pullover lanes as the most immediate options for relief.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
...the original map of the I-485 concept (Interstate 485).

Love this map. Thanks for finding and posting.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:16 PM

152 posts, read 237,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes.

This is the route I always took when lived in Emory/Decatur and the City of Decatur--and when I was coming to these areas from pointes further west.
And the people living on Coventry just love it.... I lived on Covenrtry Rd for many years and the rush hour traffic can blast through there quite fast especially at the bottom of the hill before the railroad tracks. Getting out of the driveway in the a.m. can be quite dangerous.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:46 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
Quote:
I was excited to find it to! I had known that was a proposal from years back, but had never seen a literal map of it.

I don't know why I didn't think of this in my original post, but I was thinking about the Clifton Corridor transit planning.

If they build LRT and end up using the Scott Blvd, then the discussion on that portion of Scott Blvd would create a convenient way for traffic separation from the LRT line on the way to Avondale Station.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:24 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Aw, Hell no. No wonder old ladies were chaining themselves to trees in their front yard.
Seriously, I remember that the destruction of neighborhoods in Morningside, Va-Hi and Inman Park was devastating at the time.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:24 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,255,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Aw, Hell no. No wonder old ladies were chaining themselves to trees in their front yard.
Seriously, I remember that the destruction of neighborhoods in Morningside, Va-Hi and Inman Park was devastating at the time.
Ummm????

I think you are taking this a little too seriously. I think it just an interesting map from the past to look at so people can see what it was all about.

When were those neighborhoods destroyed?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM

28,110 posts, read 24,639,595 times
LovinDecatur knows whereof she speaks. Hundreds of homes were torn down and dozens sat vacant for years. Many more would have followed if the project had progressed further. Prices fell and for a number of years there was great instability and uncertainty. It didn't destroy the neighborhoods, but they were hit very hard.

I love the map, by the way, and yes, it's very interesting to look back. The Stone Mountain Freeway/I-485 project galvanized community advocacy and changed the way the city works.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
lol...No, Lady Lovin. I am not advocating for these routes...hell no, indeed!

I just love that I finally got to see the ludicrous proposals in map form! I know my ATL History, miss...!

Can you imagine how bad Atlanta/Inner DeKalb would be if these highways were built??? I shudder to even imagine...(especially after living in the immediate area for 9 years...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or