U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2010, 07:23 PM
 
28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Reputation: 9581

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You are both very welcome, cwkimbro & arjay57.

I simply can't wrap my mind around the fact that an Intersate could be roaring through that area today. And they had actually planned a stacked, multi-level interchange right on top of what we now know as the Carter Center!

Is it any wonder that the grannies were chaining themselves to the trees?
Well, they did manage to ram it through the old Buckhead neighborhoods, and you can see what happened there. Thank goodness it didn't go any further.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
 
12,978 posts, read 21,094,397 times
Reputation: 4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, they did manage to ram it through the old Buckhead neighborhoods, and you can see what happened there. Thank goodness it didn't go any further.

One thing though--I think, as a whole, Buckhead now feels that GA 400 was good since it took so much traffic off of the surface roads/streets/cut-throughs.

GA 400 was less obtrusive here than it would have been in eastern Atlanta and western DeKalb.


I could be wrong, but I thought that was the general sentiment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,809,051 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One thing though--I think, as a whole, Buckhead now feels that GA 400 was good since it took so much traffic off of the surface roads/streets/cut-throughs.

GA 400 was less obtrusive here than it would have been in eastern Atlanta and western DeKalb.


I could be wrong, but I thought that was the general sentiment...
No, I think you're absolutely right on that opinion.

Not sure if you lived here then, but the only reason 400 got built ITP was the "MARTA compromise" that was negotiated. It almost didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 PM
 
12,978 posts, read 21,094,397 times
Reputation: 4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, I think you're absolutely right on that opinion.

Not sure if you lived here then, but the only reason 400 got built ITP was the "MARTA compromise" that was negotiated. It almost didn't happen.

Yes, I was here then, but I was younger (I'm a native)--I do remember those in Buckhead trying to advocate to just put a MARTA Line up the corridor instead.


I remember later reading (as a full-on adult), that after all was said and done, GA 400 had brought peace and tranquility back to the neighborhoods in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,156 posts, read 33,136,665 times
Reputation: 12807
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, I was here then, but I was younger (I'm a native)--I do remember those in Buckhead trying to advocate to just put a MARTA Line up the corridor instead.


I remember later reading (as a full-on adult), that after all was said and done, GA 400 had brought peace and tranquility back to the neighborhoods in the area.
They actually did a pretty good job of selective condemnation when planning 400. The Sandy Springs neighborhoods that were demolished east of Roswell inside 285 were generally nothing to write home about; running it through the Ivy/Stratford/Wieuca area was a bit trickier. But years later I feel that this was done with a minimum of intrusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 07:31 AM
 
12,978 posts, read 21,094,397 times
Reputation: 4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
They actually did a pretty good job of selective condemnation when planning 400. The Sandy Springs neighborhoods that were demolished east of Roswell inside 285 were generally nothing to write home about; running it through the Ivy/Stratford/Wieuca area was a bit trickier. But years later I feel that this was done with a minimum of intrusion.

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 AM
 
28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Reputation: 9581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
One thing though--I think, as a whole, Buckhead now feels that GA 400 was good since it took so much traffic off of the surface roads/streets/cut-throughs.

GA 400 was less obtrusive here than it would have been in eastern Atlanta and western DeKalb.


I could be wrong, but I thought that was the general sentiment...
Well, it's debatable whether 400 reduced traffic in that area. Most of the streets around there are pretty swamped with commuters from Cobb, DeKalb and city of Atlanta neighborhoods to the south, and are carrying vastly heavier loads than in the old days.

What really tipped the balance on the 400 deal was when Mayor Young, Michael Lomax and the city planning department threw their weight behind it. Of course the northern suburbs, GDOT, MARTA and commercial developers had been pushing it for years, and eventually the locals were just outgunned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 AM
 
12,978 posts, read 21,094,397 times
Reputation: 4117
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, it's debatable whether 400 reduced traffic in that area. Most of the streets around there are pretty swamped with commuters from Cobb, DeKalb and city of Atlanta neighborhoods to the south, and are carrying vastly heavier loads than in the old days.

What really tipped the balance on the 400 deal was when Mayor Young, Michael Lomax and the city planning department threw their weight behind it. Of course the northern suburbs, GDOT, MARTA and commercial developers had been pushing it for years, and eventually the locals were just outgunned.
Well, you also have to take into consideration the change in Buckhead that has happened since the completion of 400--the influx of office buildings, high-rise condos/apartments, the expansion of both malls, etc, etc.

Imagine if there was no 400...

(But then, if there was no 400, would the influx have happened...? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:51 AM
 
28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Reputation: 9581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
They actually did a pretty good job of selective condemnation when planning 400. The Sandy Springs neighborhoods that were demolished east of Roswell inside 285 were generally nothing to write home about; running it through the Ivy/Stratford/Wieuca area was a bit trickier. But years later I feel that this was done with a minimum of intrusion.
We owned property in that area at the time and it was quite tumultuous for several years. You're right about the Sandy Springs neighborhoods, probably not a tragic loss. I'd also agree regarding the difficulties in the Wieuca/Stratford area. Many of homes along the route were roughly the same vintage as those to the south and there was considerable destruction.

400 Route | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50962413@N07/5190042274/ - broken link)

Freeway advocates would point to the completed projects throughout the city's older areas and say, "See, now that's not so bad, is it?" But in my opinion the sequalae of limited access mega-roads are very complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2010, 10:54 AM
 
28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Reputation: 9581
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
(But then, if there was no 400, would the influx have happened...? )
Well, that's the point, or at least part of it. If 400 had been brought further south as proposed in the original route, would an explosion like the one that occurred in Buckhead have simply taken place in those neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top