U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-14-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times
Reputation: 1804

Advertisements

How many attractions for downtown Atlanta? *| ajc.com


With developers proposing a $200 million replica of the London Eye for downtown Atlanta, the natural question is: What's next?

Atlanta has become a beacon for inventive -- and sometimes screwy -- ideas.

Downtown already has horse-drawn carriages. How about pedicabs?

How about flooding the railroad tracks in the area called “The Gulch” to create a water feature? Or a casino at Underground Atlanta? And isn't downtown Atlanta missing a pirate museum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2010, 07:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,626,622 times
Reputation: 623
I would prefer quality over quantity. I think the Civil Rights Museum will be a great asset - and it's not just about African Americans - it's about equality for all people. Other than that, the College Football Hall of Fame and the "Atlanta Eye" would be good additions. However, I'm not crazy about Ripley's, Pirate Museums, Wax Museums, etc.

I still think Underground needs to be completely replaced (with something above ground!!). I'm not sure about a casino in Downtown/Underground, but if it were a Hard Rock Hotel & Casino I would be cool with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,987,455 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
How many attractions for downtown Atlanta? *| ajc.com


With developers proposing a $200 million replica of the London Eye for downtown Atlanta, the natural question is: What's next?

Atlanta has become a beacon for inventive -- and sometimes screwy -- ideas.

Downtown already has horse-drawn carriages. How about pedicabs?

How about flooding the railroad tracks in the area called “The Gulch” to create a water feature? Or a casino at Underground Atlanta? And isn't downtown Atlanta missing a pirate museum?
You know Tony this makes me think back to the first time I ever visited Atlanta back in 97....and when we got here the hot spots was The Underground Mall & the mall where Magic Johnson had a theater....Now I live here and Underground Mall is now Underground Atlanta...maybe thats what i was back then..but the girls we were with called it Underground Mall. We drove everywhere not once did they mention the train lol, didnt even know Atlanta had a train system.
I really dont think Atlanta is a tourist city. I just went to the Coke Muesum for first time...it was not worst 15 bux. It was interesting, but not worth 15. My favorite places are Olympic Park, Lil 5 Points & Lenox Square...I also visit Woodruff Park often as well. But all & all not many legendary locations. The Fox is interesting. Turner Field & GA Dome dont have any magic moments in sports. I went to the Fernbank Planetrium...man its like in a residental neighborhood...bad location & bad building, the same could be said for the main central library, that building sucks, but its in a great location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2010, 08:11 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,987,455 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I would prefer quality over quantity. I think the Civil Rights Museum will be a great asset - and it's not just about African Americans - it's about equality for all people. Other than that, the College Football Hall of Fame and the "Atlanta Eye" would be good additions. However, I'm not crazy about Ripley's, Pirate Museums, Wax Museums, etc.

I still think Underground needs to be completely replaced (with something above ground!!). I'm not sure about a casino in Downtown/Underground, but if it were a Hard Rock Hotel & Casino I would be cool with that.
Ripleys?? Lame!
Football hall of fame is lame too

Underground Atlanta?? Well it could be better.

A Poker Room at some of the hotels might be cool, but a full casino? I dont really like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 PM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ripleys?? Lame!
Football hall of fame is lame too

Underground Atlanta?? Well it could be better.

A Poker Room at some of the hotels might be cool, but a full casino? I dont really like that.

What's the difference in buying lottery tickets verses going to a casino?

I hope DEAL is ok with casinos but Perdue said he would veto any vote on any casino in Atlanta

The other "lame" attractions are needed. The main attraction will continue to be the Aquarium and Coca Cola but people need stuff to do after they visit those attractions. This will give them another reason to stay another day in Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,987,455 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
What's the difference in buying lottery tickets verses going to a casino?

I hope DEAL is ok with casinos but Perdue said he would veto any vote on any casino in Atlanta

The other "lame" attractions are needed. The main attraction will continue to be the Aquarium and Coca Cola but people need stuff to do after they visit those attractions. This will give them another reason to stay another day in Atlanta
I dont play the lottery thats for "Ghetto Gradndmothers" and we know how Deal feals about them...An attraction should not be forced, attractions should happen by chance. If Atlanta NEEDS these things for people to hang around, well....Atlanta is always trying too hard.

A casino...I could see it as job creation. Things change so much. One day a casino is a great idea on others its not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I dont play the lottery thats for "Ghetto Gradndmothers" and we know how Deal feals about them...An attraction should not be forced, attractions should happen by chance. If Atlanta NEEDS these things for people to hang around, well....Atlanta is always trying too hard.

A casino...I could see it as job creation. Things change so much. One day a casino is a great idea on others its not.

Im sure if they slip Deal some money under the table he will be ok with a casino
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2010, 05:26 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,987,455 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Im sure if they slip Deal some money under the table he will be ok with a casino
Right On lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top