U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 09:11 PM

17 posts, read 37,605 times

Advertisements

I applied to GSU to major in Real Estate and I have a question?

If I get in to GSU when I graduate I would like to work at a company in Atlanta in real estate development, and would having a degree in Real Estate instead of another business degree be a plus?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 09:24 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
I don't have any solid advice and I am not in that industry... but I do have a suggestion to pass on..

If you are talking about an undergraduate program....

and you are ambitious and it is important to you... work towards two degrees. It isn't that much harder if you plan it out. I would consider a second degree in geography or economics on top of the one in Real Estate. Two very important parts to real estate development. The trick is your extra-general classes will be the major class of the other major and vice versa.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 AM

2,112 posts, read 5,129,624 times
Im finance going into real estate. Personally, I think an RE degree is a little overrated. It's interesting to note the comparisons between corporate equity and commercial building classes. Redevelopments can be like LBOs or M&As. Acquisitions can be compared to various debt instruments and fixed income. New construction can be like getting a small company started. Just like finance is a really broad topic, real estate is really broad. Are you trying to be a residential sales agent or broker? What kind of broker? If that is the case you don't need a real estate degree. What are you trying to get into?

I have been interested in RE my whole life. My dad is a developer in FL and I have grown up knowing lots of RE guys in private equity, REITs, and lending (really some major players). My suggestion for you if you want to go the commercial route is to go finance, take some RE classes on the side, take the 75 hour Barney Fletcher course and get a license, take the Argus course at Emory and get certified, intern at a major brokerage/investments firm (Cushman Wakefield, CBRE, Marcus & Millichap, Tishman Speyer, Cousins, Hines, all of these guys have major presences here in Atl). You may not get paid, but the experience is worth it. Lastly, join an organization like ULI or NAIOP. ULI is easier and cheaper for students.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:33 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,480,001 times
Double majoring in Finance and RE would be the route I'd go.

I work on the hotel real estate side of things. They also have a RE degree with an emphasis on hotels if that peaks your interest. Fairly new program.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:09 PM

876 posts, read 1,883,746 times
As long as you get a business degree (BS), you are fine. I think minoring in Real Estate is probably a good idea. Finance minor also sounds like sound advice. Good luck in getting in GSU!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:58 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,119,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2LA2DCeventuallyATL View Post
I applied to GSU to major in Real Estate and I have a question?

If I get in to GSU when I graduate I would like to work at a company in Atlanta in real estate development, and would having a degree in Real Estate instead of another business degree be a plus?

Thanks!
Simple. Pick a company and ask for an informational interview. If you don't know what that is, google it.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:26 PM

6,458 posts, read 7,257,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Simple. Pick a company and ask for an informational interview. If you don't know what that is, google it.
This is a really good idea! I did this a few times before going to grad school. I was choosing between two difference routes and definitely played a role in my decision.

I still think dual degrees is also a good idea too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta