U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 PM

13,097 posts, read 15,906,284 times

Advertisements

Considering the OP is coming from a small town in Kansas, I think she might feel quite at home in Paulding Co / Dallas / Hiram. It would definitely be more in her price range. The schools are decent and it would not be nearly the culture shock of Cobb or even Cherokee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 7,722 times
i was told to stay away from dallas, hiram and powder springs...is that correct? what about cartersville and villa rica? how long of a drive would that be...i am actually from haysville a little town outside of wichita but i could live in wichita.. i dont mind that size of town once i would be familiar with it...i am just SUPER worried about my kids....getting in with the wrong school and the wrong people...my daughter is already hating the moving factor and i would hate for her to rebel and get in with the wrong people. also does anyone know of a good dance studio...she is an amazing dancer and needs that as well.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Cartersville would be 30 miles straight up 75, which could be 45 minutes to an hour during rush hour. Villa Rica would be about 40 miles on 20, 285 and 75, and could easily be over an hour.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 7,722 times
so what is your take on dallas, hiram and powder springs?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:13 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Considering the OP is coming from a small town in Kansas, I think she might feel quite at home in Paulding Co / Dallas / Hiram. It would definitely be more in her price range. The schools are decent and it would not be nearly the culture shock of Cobb or even Cherokee.
My thought exactly, particularly Hiram because of it's proximity to Cobb.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:30 PM

28,113 posts, read 24,639,595 times
I never thought I'd see the day when people were warned away from little Georgia towns like Dallas and Hiram. What kind of problems do they have there?

Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackett01 View Post
i was told to stay away from dallas, hiram and powder springs...is that correct? what about cartersville and villa rica? how long of a drive would that be...i am actually from haysville a little town outside of wichita but i could live in wichita.. i dont mind that size of town once i would be familiar with it...i am just SUPER worried about my kids....getting in with the wrong school and the wrong people...my daughter is already hating the moving factor and i would hate for her to rebel and get in with the wrong people. also does anyone know of a good dance studio...she is an amazing dancer and needs that as well.
Villia Rica would be a killer commute. Haysville is much like Dallas. You would be comfortable, closer and pretty close to your cost range. Having grown up in Wichita, you will not experience too much of a shock. The place is not Chicago or NYC. But it is a whole lot bigger than Wichita. Haysville is just a suburb of Wichita as Dallas is to Atlanta. Anywhere you go there are the "wrong people". You just have to resist them. My daughter went to McEachern High and I never worried.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,589,351 times
Quote:
Whoever told you to stay away from Dallas, Hiram or Powder Springs is full of it. They are all nice places.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:03 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,852,124 times
Quote:
My husband was offered a job at Lockheed Martin in Marietta. He will be starting in feb and the rest of the family will probably move in the summer. We have 2 children. 1 in middle school and the other one is 4. So schools are a BIG deal. We come from a very small city in Kansas and are needing help with where to live. We have a housing budget of 100k or less and want to find a good neighborhood to raise our family. This move scares me to death and need some advise. PLEASE HELP. Also, the whole east cobb and west cobb thing is confusing to me so if you could be a little more specific that would be great.
If your coming from Kansas I assume you are white, sorry if I am wrong but I dont think Kansas is filled with a lot of minorities. With that said if you want your kids to go to a majority white school you will need to do some extensive research. There are schools in all the towns that have been suggested to you that are majority minority. Powder Springs comes to mind. If you want to live in a majority white area with white schools in your price range I would look at Cherokee, Paulding or Bartow county. Sorry but you are not going to find anything in Cobb for $100K that is a white area. Try $300K to be in "white" Cobb county. Sorry to be so blunt but most people that move here have no idea that they can live so far from the City of Atlanta and still be in a minority area. Lots and lots of minority burbs here.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 AM

99 posts, read 323,957 times
I don't know why anyone brung up race. All the communities mentioned are diverse with plenty of whites, blacks, etc. You may see more minorities than you have before but there will still be plenty of whites in Cobb, Bartow, Cherokee, and Paulding. I would look at

Emerson, the next town (very small town) after Acworth. Kids in the town go to Woodland which is a great school. It is just outside of Cobb so the commute would not be bad.

Woodstock, Good schools and again the commute is not bad. Woodstock is a small town but a suburban small town that Atlanta has gotten its grip on so keep that in mind.

Cartersville, great schools as well, located in central Bartow County, parts of Cartersville go to Woodland too. Probably has the cheapest houses out of all the possible choices. Cartersville is separated from the rest of Metro Atlanta by about FIVE miles so you get the best of both worlds. Its a fast growing city with much to offer shopping wise but still minutes from the laid back country.

Hiram would be a good choice as well but I'm not sure about the schools. The area is growing VERY fast though...

Villa Rica wouldn't be a wise choice commute wise

Powder Springs would be a good choice if you can find a house in your price range. It still has plenty of whites left in town too lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or