U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,093 times

Advertisements

My husband just took a job in Marietta about 2 mos ago, and we are moving AWAY from Villa Rica to Dallas in 2 weeks. The drive consitently takes 1.5 hrs each way currently. Dallas does not have a lot of minority, the schools are better by far than Villa Rica, and the drive, tho we haven't done it yet, will be between 45-1hr. I DO agree that if possible, you should rent first. When we moved into this neighborhood 8 mos ago, we thought it looked nice enough. The house is $150k, and is a 5 br (we have 6 children.)We were rather unhappy to find that the neighborhood is crappy, as is the basic area surrounding Fairfield--the huge resort/residential lake community. I can't peddle us out of here fast enough!!!! The schools here are failing, too, and if we didn't homeschoolI would be very worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 11:38 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,613,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nillabeans6 View Post
My husband just took a job in Marietta about 2 mos ago, and we are moving AWAY from Villa Rica to Dallas in 2 weeks. The drive consitently takes 1.5 hrs each way currently. Dallas does not have a lot of minority, the schools are better by far than Villa Rica, and the drive, tho we haven't done it yet, will be between 45-1hr. I DO agree that if possible, you should rent first. When we moved into this neighborhood 8 mos ago, we thought it looked nice enough. The house is $150k, and is a 5 br (we have 6 children.)We were rather unhappy to find that the neighborhood is crappy, as is the basic area surrounding Fairfield--the huge resort/residential lake community. I can't peddle us out of here fast enough!!!! The schools here are failing, too, and if we didn't homeschoolI would be very worried.
From Dallas it should be 30-45 minutes assuming no wrecks or bad weather.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 7,726 times
thanks for the advise about villa rica....but would love to find out what you think when you get to dallas...so if you could keep me updated that would be great...cause i am torn between dallas and hiram...also if anyone one else could help that would be great....

Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 AM

12,926 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackett01 View Post
thanks for the advise about villa rica....but would love to find out what you think when you get to dallas...so if you could keep me updated that would be great...cause i am torn between dallas and hiram...also if anyone one else could help that would be great....

Dallas and Hiram would be roughly the same--both are in Paulding County.

Dallas has a very large address area.

If you've narrowed it down to Paulding County (Dallas+Hiram), then I recommend that you just go with the house, neighborhood, and school district you like best.

Only thing--with the Dallas address area, just make sure you are in the eastern half of Paulding County (western Paulding would be too far out for your situation). Hiram is already in the eastern half of the county, but also stretches south. You don't want to be too far south in Paulding County if your husband will be commuting to Marietta.

Here is a helpful map:

Paulding County School District
(Click on where it says "Paulding County Layers Map 2009")

I hope this helps a little more. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:41 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,853,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhackett01 View Post
Dallas & Hiram are side by side. Their city limits literally butt up to one another. They are basically one and the same.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 AM

12,926 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Dallas & Hiram are side by side. Their city limits literally butt up to one another. They are basically one and the same.
Yes.

OP, make sure you look at the map in my post above.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,093 times
I am moving tomorrow, actually, on the Hiram side, right up next to White Oak Park off 61. Our neighborhood's homes are in the mid 300's, and the neighborhood seems to be mixed black and white, but well maintained, an the people so far seem very nice. There is quite a spread of home prices in that pocket, though. I will update about my opinions in a couple-few weeks. We will likely do quite a lot of exploring, seeing that we have 6 children and homeschool.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,374 times
Default Dallas

I just moved here from Wichita as well. my husband came 3 months before I did and he lived in temple. He hated the commute. After looking around he found he liked Dallas. So we moved to Dallas we are renting right now which is what i would do if i were you. My kids go to abney elementary and from people I have talked to its a good school. I like dallas. I know haysville and it is kinda like that. just more spread out. My son used to wrestle for haysville so i know a few people out there. But i do really like dallas. its not far from Hiram which is where most of the shopping would be. target walmart

Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,416 times
Hi! My husband is going to Marietta Feb 1st for an interview with Lockheed Martin. We have 3 kids ages 7, 3 and 1. We're hoping to follow him out there early this summer if everything works out too. We are coming from Arizona, I have been here my whole life and I am having anxiety about the move. We are planning on renting for a few years and have been perusing Craigslist for rentals. There are a lot of very nice homes but I don't know where I should be either. Maybe we can help each other.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 PM

121 posts, read 277,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraTrow View Post
Hi! My husband is going to Marietta Feb 1st for an interview with Lockheed Martin. We have 3 kids ages 7, 3 and 1. We're hoping to follow him out there early this summer if everything works out too. We are coming from Arizona, I have been here my whole life and I am having anxiety about the move. We are planning on renting for a few years and have been perusing Craigslist for rentals. There are a lot of very nice homes but I don't know where I should be either. Maybe we can help each other.
I would recommend living in Cobb County for certain. There are many parts that you can get nice places for reasonable money. East Cobb is where I am, and my husband and I love it. We have 3 kids who are currently still under the kindergarten age, but we do a lot of volunteer work with the local schools and they are great. In East Cobb, the general opinion is that Mount Bethel Elem., Dickerson Middle, and then Walton High is the best way to go for schools. There are many great high schools with excellent feeder school in the county. Walton is really great because it is a charter school, nationally recognized, constantly gets the top scores in the county and state, and has great sports programs too. There is also Lassiter in the area which is also nationally ranked (though slightly lower), gets high scores, and has excellent athletics. Pope is in the same area and is also great. Kennesaw Mountain is a an excellent school in Kennesaw. Typically, the West Cobb schools are bigger, newer, and still great schools for the most part. In West Cobb, Allatoona High is a huge, brand new school in the Acworth/Allatoona that I was recently at helping with All-State band auditions and it is a fantastic school. Another school is McEachern which is a huge, fancy, and almost college campus-like high school in Powder Springs that some friends' children go to and they love it. There's also Kell which is huge, newer, and I've heard is a great place to go. There's also terrific magnets at Pebblebrook, Kennesaw Mtn., and others. There are more good high schools, but these are some of the more well-known and highly-regarded ones.

If price is a concern, you don't have to worry too much. Despite popular opinions, there are a lot of nice homes in even East Cobb (which is known for being wealthy).

If you need any help, let me know! I'd be happy to recommend some specific neighborhoods in areas or more schools or anything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or